shape
carat
color
clarity

how to handle a neighbourhood situation..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
How would one handle a situation.Few weeks ago I posted a gardening question re whiteflies vs drainflies control. I got some responses thanks a lot.We found out that our city is having problems with drain flies at this time due to very wet Winter and Spring this year.We were told that the warm weather ( when it arrives ) will improve this situation.We have these flies around our compost bin,around empty garbage cans and just flying around.They are not doing any damage , they are more of a nuisance.
We also noticed that they love empty garbage cans and stay in and aroud them ( obviously protected from elements) They may be hatching in there? We rinsed ours several times and limit the number we keep.Our neighbour has at least 3 dozen or so just on the other side of the fence and other side of the composting bin.We were going to let them know what we found out, so they could take proper action.My DH was approached first that our composting bin is a problem.My DH was cleaning the garage and was approached by the wife.He explained to the wife what we have found out from the City and also about the garbage cans and she said that they only have 1 can ( we can see all these cans accumulation on their side) He also explained that we were told that with the warmer weather it should correct itself. They had a long conversation and she then walked away and spoke in their native language to her husband who was just by their garage.( they both speak English perfectly well),presumably translating what was said.Her husband only said ( very loudly) one word IN English "Compost Bin"
Just to give you a little background on who we are dealilng with : 2 previous people that lived in our house moved out " problems with neighbours"
We have been trying very hard to keep a friendly tone just to keep in good terms. We had many previous situations in which we choose to" look the other way" just to keep in good terms
I won''t go into details here , but I know not too many people would be able to " look the other way" in those situations.
We always prefer to keep in good terms with neighbours , but this is a bit touchy..I still want to be as polite as possible, and hopefully stay in good terms , but I am aware of my limitations .WE will not move out and will continue to compost.
So if any of you can help out that would be great.Just to keep in mind one very important thing when dealing with these type of people .When they say " This is black" that means green, red or blue must be seen as black.No exceptions.PERIOD!!! PERIOD!!! AND ONCE MORE PERIOD.
Many thanks...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call the City, that way someone from that department can come out and take a look anonymously and you never have to be brought into it. The City should find their tons of waste cans and whatever compost bins that may be in violation if at all and they will deal with it. Don''t worry about staying on "good terms" with these people, especially if previous tenants have let you know about ongoing issues with them, obviously these people are not courteous neighbors and you are well within your rights to call the City and have them come and inspect their property especially if you are experiencing an infestation. Good luck!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for that.The city won''t bother unless its on a city property and the cans are kept hidden behind the fence and back fence.Its not visible from anywhere else.Courteous they are not you got this right.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
cleaning a 44mag on the back porch makes for good neighbors :}
or walking out to the car with a dozen rifle cases and a case of ammo.
Works for me :}

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi scarleta! i have sympathy for the deteriorating neighbor situation but think you are just going to have to live with it. you are opposed to the garbage cans and they are opposed to the compost bin. since neither is going to budge i suggest you both just do your own thing and keep your opinions to yourself.

while the flies would be distressing to me you both have chosen to keep the cans and the bin. i would not make my life hell by getting into a power struggle with neighbors you already feel are difficult. in other words, choose your fights. you say the warm weather will help so i would try to hold on a while longer.
1.gif

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Strom ( always a great idea from you ) and thanks Crown 1.Storm maybe you should come for a weekend with your arsenal loaded and spend few days here. It may just do a trick?
Crown 1 basically what you are suggesting we are planning to do in any case.
Now if I had you as a neighbour it could work.Sometimes with time ( and dry warm weather in this case )things will sort themselves out .We are not dealing with regular people here so I expect more to come from " the other side of the fence" Possibly even a 44 mag on the porch ( no kidding)
BTW we don''t object to their cans or to whatever they may have on their side its just that it contributes to the already existing problem and it was our intention to talk to them about it only for that reason..Thanks you guys...

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
unfortunately, sometimes you just have to keep quiet and let people show themselves if they are so inclined. i have learned the hard way that even though my intentions have been good things can backfire.

i hope things work out for good.
1.gif

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Crown 1 , so what exactly would your recommendation be to say if this topic comes out again? It may come from the other side of the fence...This part I m not sure how to handle? Ignore? Listen or just keep walking or what would you do?

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
looking from an outsider''s point of view i would try to listen and then say i''m glad that we are able to talk about this and that we both understand that we have different points of view on the topic and so i think we both should do what we like on our sides of the fence. i know it is easy to say this from a distance and that the spur of the moment is hard to deal with.

ideal situation both keep to their own business and as little contact as possible but try to be civil when contact is necessary. if i really thought there was a chance of a 44 magnum coming into play i would get legal advise. i would not loose my life or limb over a compost bin or garbage can. you are a wise person to be thinking this over and not getting into a serious conflict over the bin or can.

i am really not claiming to know the right way to handle this situation just talking about it with you so you can calmly think about it and decide the best way for you to handle it on you own.
1.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Oh I sympathize...with experience-not the fly thing...but the neighbor thing. Continue to take the high road...it is apparent that there is no reasoning with them.

I would consider since you are just beginning this neighbor relationship...I would buy a handy (I mean kept within reach) ledger. Sounds nuts but the sane part of your equation needs to begin taking notes, dates, etc. It sounds as if the others moved with good reason...it was surely not because something as minute as your issue. But as the snow ball rolls, it will gain momentum.

I think you said the fly thing is supposed to be short lived...this is sorta of an icky solution but they make this...this...silly contraption called fly paper. It comes in a barrel type roll about the size of film. You unroll it somehow and it uncurls and is sticky and guey and the flys absolutely love it. They are compelled to fly to it...and whamo -get stuck. The bad thing about them is SOMEONE has to discard of them. But they will rid an area and keep the population from repopulating. It is a cheap solution. If there are trees near, hang them from the tree...or use a shepards hook in the gound. You may also be able to use them on a fence. You can find them at Walmart I think, or your local feed store. I don't know if this only works with a specific fly...but I know ranchers and dairy farmers use it in barns and under trees...and??? I realize you said the whole city has this problem, I could only hope it would alleviate the sheer volume around your living space.

Is there something called a smudge pot? I think it is a thing you lite and it releases smoke...of course it will probably waff over to your beloved neighbors and they will (write that in their ledger!!) ha ha.

Oh for added giggle...don't you know "you catch more flys with Honey than with vinegar?"
25.gif

DKS

EDITED: I just went back in the posts and read your original inquiry. I missed it previously. Sorry. Looks like you all ready tried the sticky stuff. Oh dear. Lady bugs or bats or frogs??? Can a compost bin be covered in plastic? The heat/gas that it releases would be trapped and should kill them. It will only accelerate your compost wouldn't it? I realize that is only one area. But if they can't get to it, wouldn't they move on? I am sorry I have no solution, sure wish I could help.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for your help Crown 1.Yes you are right there is absolutely no point going into conflict over this as it will pass.The only problem is that we are not dealing with normal people.Anyways I will give it a try re your suggestion on what to say.Thanks to you also door knob solitaire and mostly I do apprecieate you going back to my original post .Yes I still have stickies and they do work, but there seems to be too many of these creatures to deal with at present time.THe birds have discovered them and they do enjoy a little snack from time to time. I do hope that as warm weather approaches it will help out.
Thanks again and now I feel better as you have given me some ideas for " just in case" thanks again

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Scarleta, you should be grateful that you have a fence! Can you imagine if you had to look at all of those trash cans??
6.gif

I''m not trying to be mean, but it seems you''ll just have to live with this situation. Because of your commitment to "organic" gardening, your options may be severely limited.

What first came to mind was some kind of smoke bomb (or the smudge pot) to eradicate the flies. Smoke won''t know where the fence is. However, I''m guessing you are against this idea because of the chemicals. Maybe there''s an organic smoke bomb out there?

So, short of visiting your local garden store for an organic solution, I guess you''ll just have to wait for warmer weather.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much yes we are just waiting for a warmer weather and the birds are having a blast.Its fun watching them very busy here.It will take a bit of time and we are patient..Thanks again..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results