shape
carat
color
clarity

how much should this type of alteration cost??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is my dress: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/for-all-the-fellow-bargain-hunters-pics-inside.49525/=

I am holding the back of the gown with my hands because it is a size 8 and probably needs to be a 4 petite. The fabric is not high quality and there is no lace or beading. However, there is a light corset on the inside of the dress.

Here''s what I need for alterations:
-taken in two sizes
-hem with a small sweep train kept at the hem line
-maybe a single bustle to put up the train after the ceremony, haven''t decided yet.

How much should I pay for these types of alterations and if you know of any place in the LA area, I''d love to hear suggestions.

Thanks ladies!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anybody have an estimate of how much it might cost? Anyone ever had similar alterations on a simple dress?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just read through the thread that you linked, and first of all that is one gorgeous dress you have there, Kcourselle! But get ready to let go of your bargain side and bite the bullet on alterations, especially if you want them done correctly.

I just took a Laundry by Shelli Segal dress to my fave tailor, and she charged me $48 to do it in 72 hrs. I ordered it last week, had it in my hands Monday, took it to her to get fitted, and thought it would only require simple alterations of taking in the sideseams on the skirt, as the waist/bust area fit perfectly. OH nooooo, she said, we have to do it like this: and went on to pin it all down the back center seam, including along the zipper. I paid $90 on sale for this dress, which was originally $230, and told her so, but she insured me taking it in from the side seams would ruin the lines of the dress, and I trust her. She did a J. Crew dress of mine about a year and a half ago that had darts and everything else in it that I got on sale online for about $40 and charged me $40 just for the alterations. It was well worth it. She does great work and I couldn''t have been happier.

I''m just outside Chicago, so more expensive than your average tailor, plus I wanted it fast...I have to have it for a Friday night black tie opt. event in Atlanta, so I was willing to pay for quick, well-done alterations. But put a little research into yours and I''m sure you can find someone who can help you, granted they are given plenty of time, lol!
Good luck!
35.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have an estimate for you. I do know I spent more on alterations than I did on my wedding dress and it was well worth it as it fit like a glove. My dress coast about $500 and the alterations were $600, including pressing and delivering the dress. My dress was complicated though, it''s satin with a lace/bead overlay. I would expect to pay about $100. Two sizes is a lot which means the dress will need to be restructured.

A random aside, I took in some slacks and a jacket to have them altered today and the total will be something like $50 (I''m having the waistline nipped 2" and the length shortened 1" in the pants; I''m haviing the jacket taken in a few inches and the sleeves shortened about 1").

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 10:40:21 PM
Author: monarch64
I just read through the thread that you linked, and first of all that is one gorgeous dress you have there, Kcourselle! But get ready to let go of your bargain side and bite the bullet on alterations, especially if you want them done correctly.

I just took a Laundry by Shelli Segal dress to my fave tailor, and she charged me $48 to do it in 72 hrs. I ordered it last week, had it in my hands Monday, took it to her to get fitted, and thought it would only require simple alterations of taking in the sideseams on the skirt, as the waist/bust area fit perfectly. OH nooooo, she said, we have to do it like this: and went on to pin it all down the back center seam, including along the zipper. I paid $90 on sale for this dress, which was originally $230, and told her so, but she insured me taking it in from the side seams would ruin the lines of the dress, and I trust her. She did a J. Crew dress of mine about a year and a half ago that had darts and everything else in it that I got on sale online for about $40 and charged me $40 just for the alterations. It was well worth it. She does great work and I couldn''t have been happier.

I''m just outside Chicago, so more expensive than your average tailor, plus I wanted it fast...I have to have it for a Friday night black tie opt. event in Atlanta, so I was willing to pay for quick, well-done alterations. But put a little research into yours and I''m sure you can find someone who can help you, granted they are given plenty of time, lol!
Good luck!
35.gif
Thanks for responding, and for the compliments! It sure was a bargain. I realize I''m going to have to bite the big one...this is ok since I got such a great deal on the dress though.

Honestly, your estimates weren''t as bad as I was expecting. I need probably more alterations than yours though...and I bet they will charge me extra since it''s a bridal gown instead of a different type of dress.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 10:47:45 PM
Author: KimberlyH
I don''t have an estimate for you. I do know I spent more on alterations than I did on my wedding dress and it was well worth it as it fit like a glove. My dress coast about $500 and the alterations were $600, including pressing and delivering the dress. My dress was complicated though, it''s satin with a lace/bead overlay. I would expect to pay about $100. Two sizes is a lot which means the dress will need to be restructured.

A random aside, I took in some slacks and a jacket to have them altered today and the total will be something like $50 (I''m having the waistline nipped 2'' and the length shortened 1'' in the pants; I''m haviing the jacket taken in a few inches and the sleeves shortened about 1'').
I got scared for a moment when I read $600, until I kept reading and you said it had lace and beading. $100 I can cover, thank you for the rough idea. I think it will definitely be worth it to pay to have it done nicely. There isn''t a lot of detail to my dress, so a lot of the overall look is in the fit.

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
i paid just over $200 to have my dress taken in a size hemmed, and ribbons to be added to the train. That was considered reasonable here in LA

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
just read that you are in LA. you should check out the lady i went to. Its lady jane in tuluca lake, I live by the grove and it only took like 15 minutes to get there! SHe charges by the hour, it wouldnt hurt to get an estimate! She is so sweet, little old lady in a shop that makes you think you were in the 1950''s....

she actually bustled my dress, and fixed my veil, and sold me a headpiece for the $220 as well.....

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 12:14:45 AM
Author: msflutter
i paid just over $200 to have my dress taken in a size hemmed, and ribbons to be added to the train. That was considered reasonable here in LA
Your dress fit you beautifully, she did a wonderful job. I will definitely look her up, $200 doesn''t sound terrible for excellent work. It will be a little bit of a hike for me to get there, but worth it.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you''ve got a good reccomendation from Ms.Flutter, but in general don''t be afraid to get consultations at different tailors. You basically go in, try on the dress, they pin it and see how much work it''ll be, then they tell you what it''ll cost. If you don''t think the quote is right or don''t like the fit/attitude/whatever, you can always take your dress and try the next place. Make sure you get exactly what you want, it''s a beautiful dress!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, LOVE LOVE LOVE your dress! You look fabulous! No advice, I''m afraid I have no idea how much alterations are yet. :)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 5:52:26 PM
Author: mercoledi
It sounds like you''ve got a good reccomendation from Ms.Flutter, but in general don''t be afraid to get consultations at different tailors. You basically go in, try on the dress, they pin it and see how much work it''ll be, then they tell you what it''ll cost. If you don''t think the quote is right or don''t like the fit/attitude/whatever, you can always take your dress and try the next place. Make sure you get exactly what you want, it''s a beautiful dress!
This is a good recommendation. Since I don''t have a trusted tailor, I''m not sure where to go. Why not go to a few places and see how I feel about them? Excellent idea, thank you!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 6:03:29 PM
Author: FacetFire
OMG, LOVE LOVE LOVE your dress! You look fabulous! No advice, I''m afraid I have no idea how much alterations are yet. :)
Thank you!! My mom said it was too plain, but I love it!!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I would guess somewhere around $200. maybe less, since your dress is so simple!! but it is going to have to be taken in quite a bit ,so if the seamstress has to do some bust reworking it might be on the higher end.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 10:05:10 PM
Author: flopkins
I would guess somewhere around $200. maybe less, since your dress is so simple!! but it is going to have to be taken in quite a bit ,so if the seamstress has to do some bust reworking it might be on the higher end.
Thanks for the estimate flopkins, I appreciate it!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results