carat
color
clarity

How much is too much?

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello pricescopers,
I’ve been squirrelling away my pennies for some time to buy myself something lovely for my 40th birthday next year. I happened across a beautiful loose OEC diamond in a pawn shop, and bought it for a steal. I’m now looking to set it, because I saved so much money on the stone, I actually have enough cash to get a really fancy fancy setting. I’ve been to see some Erika Winters settings, and oh my they are stunning but expensive!!! As beautiful as they are, I’m mentally struggling to justify the cost of the setting, as I could literally buy another piece of jewellery for the same amount. So my question to you is, how much is too much? Would you rather spend on the dream ring setting, or acquire more individual pieces of jewellery? Please help

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of the regular contributors in the CS forum have been known to spend over 10x the cost of the stone on a setting costing thousands.

It is your money, so do as you please I'd say if you have the money for it.

Better this way than to regret having to settle for something less desirable, to fork out more money for a setting upgrade at a later date I'd say.

Just my personal opinion and all that etc...

And Happy 40th Birthday in advance!

DK :))

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spoil yourself! This is for your 40th so go all out. Live it up. Yada, Yada, yada...=)

Having said that, I totally get where you’re coming from. I love the Imogen band but I just can’t justify that expense for a band (I maintain the hope that one day it will come up on the preloved market in my size). If you find yourself feeling the same way, you could have a setting custom made, using one of her pieces as inspiration. You can’t copy it, of course, but you can get something similar and uniquely yours.

ETA: Have you checked out CvB Inspired Designs? She has some gorgeously detailed settings as well.

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a pre loved Queen. Value for money is my motto. I’ve only had one ring “made”, my engagement ring remodeling and it’s cost was as much as many people spend on the whole ring. I was determined to have the “ring to end all rings” and I went for it.
I have a few, ok a lot, of unset gemstones but I’m not tempted to go down the “made to measure” / “designer” path again, way too expensive. Instead I search around for pre loved ring settings.
It’s a personal decision. Many people love love love the design and making process, others want “ready to wear”, others want pre loved.
If you are really in love with Erika Winter settings, don’t settle for a cheaper alternative. Buy what makes your heart sing otherwise you end up not loving the compromise purchase.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's hard to put a value on a piece you will cherish and adore and love wearing. If you are in love with the Erika Winters setting and think it will complete your stone I say go for it if you have the funds. There is no right or wrong answer. There is only what is the best choice for you. And only you can answer that. Will this make your piece your dream piece? Then go for it. But if you are not sure take your time and search around for other options and do not rush it. Once you are more sure you can go ahead and finalize your choice and get the ring of your dreams.

Happy 40th!!!

FWIW I used to be more of a bargain hunter but honestly now I just want what I want. It's not money (so much) that is holding me back it is knowing what I want. So if you are sure it is the EW setting you want I say go for it. No regrets. As long as you have the funds. But if you are unsure just wait and keep looking and the right setting will present itself. Patience is key. But if you know it's the one then my advice is go for it and enjoy!

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Some of the regular contributors in the CS forum have been known to spend over 10x the cost of the stone on a setting costing thousands.

It is your money, so do as you please I'd say if you have the money for it.

Better this way than to regret having to settle for something less desirable, to fork out more money for a setting upgrade at a later date I'd say.

Just my personal opinion and all that etc...

And Happy 40th Birthday in advance!

DK :))

Thanks DK,
I’m interested in both the Laurel and Willa but at 50-64% of the cost of the stone I was wondering if that was a wise purchase. Especially considering I’ve see a vintage platinum solitaire setting which could house my OEC beautifully for just shy of £1000. I’m not going to make a decision yet, as I have appointments with Jessica McCormack and Hancocks London in Mayfair at the end of the month. I’m sure their settings will be equally pricey, luckily the budget will allow.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Eh I must be the exception to this consensus. As I would say you are better to put the money where it will make a difference to you-- if erika winters is your dream setting then go for it, but if you know you would rather have a less spectacular setting and pair the ring with some studs or a tennis braclet then I would ask for a really good bench to make something in the same aesthetic (i.e. suppose what you like best is the tapered band with some pave, and you don't really need that specific way of designing the gallery or swoop in the struts. Then ofcourse you will be able to tell the difference (your setting won't have the same design elements that are specific to erika winters creations, and won't be as well constructed) but that difference may not bother you enough to make it a good allocation of assets for you.)

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Spoil yourself! This is for your 40th so go all out. Live it up. Yada, Yada, yada...=)

Having said that, I totally get where you’re coming from. I love the Imogen band but I just can’t justify that expense for a band (I maintain the hope that one day it will come up on the preloved market in my size). If you find yourself feeling the same way, you could have a setting custom made, using one of her pieces as inspiration. You can’t copy it, of course, but you can get something similar and uniquely yours.

ETA: Have you checked out CvB Inspired Designs? She has some gorgeously detailed settings as well.
Oh yes! The Imogen is gorgeous, I love that and the lilly band. Which ever way I go I think I’d like to add one of those to my collection. I don’t think I’d like an ‘inspired by’ setting as id worry in retrospect I cheaped out. I’m still going to speak with other designers and see if I can come up with something beautiful.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
IMHO, Hancocks does the most wearable rings in the world; try on everything...

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMHO, Hancocks does the most wearable rings in the world; try on everything...
I’ve always loved the look of their tri-wire 3 stone rings. They currently have one in the shop and the centre stone carat weight is the same as mine. The stone buyer mentioned that he can easily source old cuts if needed.
4E70F36F-632B-4652-A2AE-5FBFF46868D2.png

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I was spoilt rotten by @missy choosing the perfect antique setting for Bella, so I’m biased and think if it were possible to get a genuine original setting for your OEC, then that would add to the overall aesthetic of your ring.

Happy 40th!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely can relate to this on a much smaller budget level. I'm resetting a spinel and although I've picked out a Stuller setting that I really like, if a vintage setting came up that would fit it that would be my preference.

You know yourself so if the EW setting is what your heart really wants then it may make more sense to go that route financially rather then find a lesser expensive setting only to reset it into the EW later. I always say do it once and do it right because a deal isn't a deal if it's not what you really want.

Meowingtons

Rough_Rock
Another question is are you 'one and done' with ring settings, or are you likely to change your setting? If you are the latter or notice that your taste in rings tend to change over the years, it might be better to not spend that kind of money on a setting and get other pieces of bling etc.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I haven't thought how much would be too much to pay for such a three-stone setting, assuming CAD away - allot.

I expect perfect side diamonds from H. - cut to match, but a pair is still not as impressive as a dozen or so cut just for a design - so very nuts! www; I keep wondering who wanted these French with impossible angles & they are not difficult to imagine at Hancocks who could well handle setting such things & do get asked to too.

It is nice to aim at something you cannot expect to change your mind about (then, come what may!)

-

There certainly are old settings worth putting back to use. I am always smiling at old solitaires - simple/not simple & more than a match to the boldest priced new stuff...

rant over

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know I was spoilt rotten by @missy choosing the perfect antique setting for Bella, so I’m biased and think if it were possible to get a genuine original setting for your OEC, then that would add to the overall aesthetic of your ring.

Happy 40th!!
Yes you are so lucky to have Bella in her perfect setting ready to go, and she’s such a stunner! I have seen this setting which I think could work http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/antique-solitaire-platinum/
But I worry it’s too boring. Also one side of my diamond is quite long at 8.91mm so it may not fit. I did speak to Adam at old world diamonds and he is not willing to sell an old setting for an outside stone. Have you any suggestions as to where I might try? 203108BE-E144-44B5-B86A-6E6A82D42A16.png

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another question is are you 'one and done' with ring settings, or are you likely to change your setting? If you are the latter or notice that your taste in rings tend to change over the years, it might be better to not spend that kind of money on a setting and get other pieces of bling etc.
This is such a good question and honestly not something I’ve thought of. This will be my first ring in this style as my day to day engagement/wedding ring is a larger full diamond eternity ring. I think I tend to lean towards the classic, but I want to have a little fun as this will be a right hand ring. This is why I wonder if this is too much money to pay for what is essentially a solitaire setting.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't thought how much would be too much to pay for such a three-stone setting, assuming CAD away - allot.

I expect perfect side diamonds from H. - cut to match, but a pair is still not as impressive as a dozen or so cut just for a design - so very nuts! www; I keep wondering who wanted these French with impossible angles & they are not difficult to imagine at Hancocks who could well handle setting such things & do get asked to too.

It is nice to aim at something you cannot expect to change your mind about (then, come what may!)

-

There certainly are old settings worth putting back to use. I am always smiling at old solitaires - simple/not simple & more than a match to the boldest priced new stuff...

rant over
Goodness! They must have been a nightmare to cut!!!
Yes and any suggestions as to whom I may contact to find an old setting would be much appreciated

Reactions: AV_

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually really like the setting @RosieR. If your stone is a sparkle bomb like Bella, you really won’t need any embellishment. I like a solitaire because it’s so classic.

Did you see the Julia setting if you’re after something a bit fancier, that’ll take up to a 9mm stone?

I’m afraid I wouldn’t know where else to look for a setting.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I actually really like the setting @RosieR. If your stone is a sparkle bomb like Bella, you really won’t need any embellishment. I like a solitaire because it’s so classic.

Did you see the Julia setting if you’re after something a bit fancier, that’ll take up to a 9mm stone?

I’m afraid I wouldn’t know where else to look for a setting.
No there is nothing wrong with this setting and you are right it is nice. just I think I’m used to lots of finger coverage as my daily wear ring is an eternity made up of 0.25 diamonds. I have emailed Erica about this setting and asked if she has any others that may fit. I then emailed Grace of jewels by Grace to ask if she has anything that could work.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I don't think many settings survive their diamonds.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@RosieR did you ever set your stone? I would love to see the setting you ended up with!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Hi! I’d did mange to get my ring in a second hand Erika winters Laurel setting in platinum.

Yay! Looks perfect! And I wish I lived close to a pawn shop like yours. But it would be dangerous;)2

Last edited:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Hi! I’d did mange to get my ring in a second hand Erika winters Laurel setting in platinum. 071C13B7-F219-4A38-99D7-33B37477403D.jpeg 13421BD5-608D-4BE7-8773-7CD3F8A7C9E5.jpeg 68D88FFC-ABAC-400A-87C7-C884EEDD2950.jpeg 513B2A45-F361-4EFE-A5BD-5A12C20F4D25.jpeg

Beautiful! The setting is perfect for your stone. Congratulations on the great find.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!! Stunning!! Perfect!!! Aaand Preloved . Great value for money and good for the planet!!!!
Win win win WIN!!!!

Wear it in health and happiness!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I’d did mange to get my ring in a second hand Erika winters Laurel setting in platinum. 071C13B7-F219-4A38-99D7-33B37477403D.jpeg 13421BD5-608D-4BE7-8773-7CD3F8A7C9E5.jpeg 68D88FFC-ABAC-400A-87C7-C884EEDD2950.jpeg 513B2A45-F361-4EFE-A5BD-5A12C20F4D25.jpeg

Absolutely stunning. I am thrilled for you that one you got your dream setting and two you got a sweet deal too! Woohoo! Wear your stunning ring in good health and blingy joy.

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
That setting was a great find!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a beautiful ring!

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful beautiful ring! Happy 40th!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results