shape
carat
color
clarity

How much for Photographers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tessari

Shiny_Rock
I have no idea what to expect to pay...so those of you living in pricey areas (bay area, la, ny) what was about normal? Does $8000 sound outrageous to you?
Thanks!

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 12:08:20 PM
Author:tessari
I have no idea what to expect to pay...so those of you living in pricey areas (bay area, la, ny) what was about normal? Does $8000 sound outrageous to you?

Thanks!

I posed a similar question several weeks ago. Here''s my thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-a-reasonable-photography-cost.107234/

Yes, $8000 sounds outrageous to me, but it depends on what that package actually includes. My absolutely favorite photographer had packages that ranged from $3000-$9000 (the package that included digital negatives was $4700). Her work is truly amazing!

BUT, I decided that photography is just not that huge of a priority to me. I ended up booking a photographer that I like quite a bit and who includes a full day of photography (8+ hrs). I chose her package that only includes photography, editing of 600-800 photos, and digital negatives (no albums whatsoever). Her rate for that package is $1700.... so by choosing a less expensive photographer, I have $3k to spend elsewhere.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 12:20:27 PM
Author: Inanna
Date: 3/26/2009 12:08:20 PM

Author:tessari

Thanks!

I posed a similar question several weeks ago. Here''s my thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-a-reasonable-photography-cost.107234/

Yes, $8000 sounds outrageous to me, but it depends on what that package actually includes. My absolutely favorite photographer had packages that ranged from $3000-$9000 (the package that included digital negatives was $4700). Her work is truly amazing!

BUT, I decided that photography is just not that huge of a priority to me. I ended up booking a photographer that I like quite a bit and who includes a full day of photography (8+ hrs). I chose her package that only includes photography, editing of 600-800 photos, and digital negatives (no albums whatsoever). Her rate for that package is $1700.... so by choosing a less expensive photographer, I have $3k to spend elsewhere.

I agree with what Innana said about pricing. It really depends on what you want. We are doing the same thing she is going and getting a talented photographer but with only coverage and digital negatives. He will edit every photo he takes which is nice. I didn''t feel the need to have a $1000 wedding photo album.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
$8000 is definitely outrageous for photography; however, you didn''t say what that package included. I''m in one of the more popular wedding areas of the country and photogs up here are pretty expensive. Most packages start around $2500 and that''s just for shooting and a CD of negatives. Packages do go up to the $8000 range, but that''s with multiple photographers, all day, all night, and very nice leather albums.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
We are paying nearly $6k "all in" (2 photographers, album, tax, etc.) for our package in Los Angeles. $8k seems a little high unless you are doing multiple albums, many hours of overtime, or have a real rock star photographer. The high quality photogs in LA seem to start around $3-4k for bare bones packages and go up from there depending what you add on.

RZ

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Not outrageous, but high.

In Seattle we found an abundance of photographers and less experienced ones with less comprehensive packages tended to start around the $2,500 mark or so. Some a little less, some a little more.

As the packages got more comprehensive and/or the photographer/s more experienced, we found that the packages were around $4,500 - $6,000.

For an all-inclusive, no holds barred, multi-day, wedding photographer extraordinaire extravaganza, there was a price tag ranging from $12,000 to $15,000.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm.... I''m not marrying in an expensive city (Cleveland, OH
20.gif
) BUT our photogs charged 3500 for 6 hours (plus a book, prints, hi res CD with rights, engagement session)

Is that 8k including *other* things besides straight-up photography?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 2:08:13 PM
Author: PilsnPinkysMom
20.gif
) BUT our photogs charged 3500 for 6 hours (plus a book, prints, hi res CD with rights, engagement session)

That''s actually a HUGE package for that price. Here in the Boston/Newport RI area that package would probably be at least $7k

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
We''re getting everything (engagement, guest book with engage pics, album, 2 parent albums, negs, all day coverage, ...some other stuff I don''t remember) for $4500 in Seattle. But our other fave was $9000 for all that.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 2:15:37 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Date: 3/26/2009 2:08:13 PM

Author: PilsnPinkysMom

20.gif

That''s actually a HUGE package for that price. Here in the Boston/Newport RI area that package would probably be at least $7k

Hehehehe... Not to be a total braggart, but I KNOW! It is about the ONLY thing that makes me happy about having a wedding in Cleveland. Our package also includes an extra 2 hrs (was a promo at the time) and a $200 product credit. ::swoon:: And it''s a husband/wife team. I went to HS with the husband... Their work is just so great. I''m almost more excited to see the photos from the Big Day than anything else!

Sorry if I sounded like Bratty McBratterson. I''m just elated that we found a bargain!

tessari

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies! I have no idea what the packages include...$8000 is just an average I got from a couple local planners. I think we can handle making our own albums and choosing what photos to put in them, in fact Iwould rather do that myself!

NuggetBrain

Shiny_Rock
The photog we''ll probably end up going with here in MN includes 7 hours, two photogs (one for formal shots and one for candids), engagement session, high res DVD with pictures and rights, slight editing of proofs (like removing wrinkles, smoothing out the skin, etc) and a 10x10 album for 2,500. We don''t think we''ll need 7 hours of photography and we get a discount for being a Friday wedding so we''re probably looking more along the lines of 2,000 plus tax.

The nice thing is that his regular rates start at 1,275 - 1,750 for 4 hours (depending on the level of experience of the photog) and all sessions include the DVD and rights, and engagement session. So its not too expensive even if we skip the package deal.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 2:45:12 PM
Author: tessari
Thanks for the replies! I have no idea what the packages include...$8000 is just an average I got from a couple local planners. I think we can handle making our own albums and choosing what photos to put in them, in fact Iwould rather do that myself!

I would recommend that you seek out photographers yourself and TALK to each photographer you like (personality counts a lot, at least for me). If you want to do the albums yourself, I''d imagine you''ll get quotes that are significantly lower than the "average cost" the planners have given you.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 3:02:20 PM

I would recommend that you seek out photographers yourself and TALK to each photographer you like (personality counts a lot, at least for me). If you want to do the albums yourself, I''d imagine you''ll get quotes that are significantly lower than the ''average cost'' the planners have given you.
This is so important. A good photog will want to click with you also, not just be in it for the money.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Well, we got married almost 3 years ago, but we paid about $2000 for two photographers for the whole day, with all digital negatives included. And that was in San Francisco, so yes, $8000 sounds pretty high to me.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I live in NY, and $8,000 does not sounds outrageous to me, given what I''ve seen of photographers'' prices around here.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Depends on the location. Based on what I paid, it sounds exorbitant! My package from a small business in Central PA was $1450...that''s for unlimited time with one photographer, co-ownership the digital DVD with hi-res files, a proof album of approximately wallet-sized photos printed right on the page, and a DVD slideshow of photo highlights set to music. No video in this package (I didn''t want video anyway). I''m planning on saving even more by making my "real" wedding album at Blurb or Shutterfly or something.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I really need to be more thankful for living in a low cost-of-living area. This might be silly, but you could honestly fly out an amazing photog team from the midwest, pay their travel fee, and get their largest package for less than $8K.

mjso

Shiny_Rock
I''m paying $6500 for our photo package in the NY area. It includes 9 hours of coverage (two photographers), rights to all digital prints, all photo editing and an album. We are also booking videography through our photographer who has a partnership with a documentary film maker who does weddings on the weekends for extra cash. That''s an additonal 2100. So $8600 before tax for photography and videography.

I wouldn''t say $8000 is outrageous for NYC and the area, definitely on the higher end, so they had better be really good, but not outrageous.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 4:43:41 PM
Author: sunnyd
Date: 3/26/2009 3:02:20 PM

I would recommend that you seek out photographers yourself and TALK to each photographer you like (personality counts a lot, at least for me). If you want to do the albums yourself, I'd imagine you'll get quotes that are significantly lower than the 'average cost' the planners have given you.

This is so important. A good photog will want to click with you also, not just be in it for the money.

Thritto that. We met our top three in person..two out of three had an "artsy person" vibe which is not bad of course since they are in fact artists..but one of the two kind of creeped us out and we knew the third was not into it as a full-time job. Hence, we picked the one that seemed the most passionate, serious, and that we clicked with.
1.gif
But for a pricey place..8k doesn't sound outrageous, but I bet you go a bit lower say around 5-6k and good quality.

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, can I make a suggestion to you?

USE MY PHOTOGRAPHER. If you''re considering spending that much money, her plane/hotel from WI will be much less than comparable photographers in your area... and she includes digital negatives in even her cheapest packages! She wins tons of national awards... and is a phenomenal woman.

KB Image Photography

KB Image Photography Blog

I know you all must think that I work for her or something, seeing as I link her so much... but she really is just the most talented photographer I''ve seen in the style I like and I want everyone to love her as much as I do!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results