shape
carat
color
clarity

How many pets have you had over your lifetime?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This popped into my head because over the years I have wanted to have one wall of framed pictures for each of our pets. I realized it would literally take a whole wall to fit all of them!

So curious, how many pets have you had over your lifetime? All species, even exotic, if you had an ostrich or alligator that you considered a pet then count them too!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Twenty! Wow. That’s a lot!

Edit:
One chicken
One goat
Four dogs
Twelve cats
Two fish (the only pets I was allowed as a child!)

We didn’t own the horses outright, so I don’t count them. I loved them though.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been breeding guppies for 55 years, shrimp for 20.

If I counted every one it would be in the thousands, maybe tens of thousands.

Sorry I didn't keep accurate records. :cry2:

Last edited:

Drakiol

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, I’ll tell a sad (relatively) story about my pets - I had only a guinea pig, about 2-3 years old, after I was presented with it, it turned out that my mother was allergic to wool and she suffered a chronic runny nose time, which eventually led to problems with the nose. I had to give the guinea pig to my friends. Sadly, it was great, to be honest) There were no more animals, of course.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5 dogs, 1 rescued baby sparrow, 2 aquariums with tropical fish (not sure how many), 2 beta fish, 2 turtles, and fantails and koi in our pond when we had one (too many to count).

Screenshot_20200202-144100_Photos.jpg

This is my baby Pearl. She really is a sweetheart. We all love her so much.❤

Drakiol

Rough_Rock
@Drakiol sorry you couldn't keep your fur baby.

Thank you, but I think that if I left it longer, I would be very worried when he would grow old and about to die, so I think it was even better for my psyche (But I still miss this, to be honest . Thanks again!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been breeding guppies for 55 years, shrimp for 20.

If I counted every one it would be in the thousands, maybe tens of thousands.

Sorry I didn't keep accurate records. :cry2:

I loved your shrimp pics. Would you post some more please?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Phoenix.
OMG, I'd almost forgotten about that wacky shrimpy soap opera from 10 years ago, "As the Tank Turns". :wacko:
If a noob wants to partake, the drama starts at post #83.

It won't be soon, but I'll take some new ones when I get some babies.

Last edited:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our pets lived extraordinarily long lives, so I didn't have many pets.

Dog, almost 18.5 years (Maltese )

Guinea pig -rescue, came to us adult and we had to put him to sleep at age 12

3 hamsters -rescue , came as adults and lived for 3.5 years with us.
Those guys were the Houdini brothers. They broke out several times in spite of locks on the cage.

Very fond memories

ETA: like yssie I never owned th horses outright, but did love them. Honourable mention to the 36 y/o Pony

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had budgies when I was young, then some tropical fish in my early 40s for a short time.
The cat has been with me since 2007, and the dog since 2008.

That's all so far.

DK :))

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ten horses, a mule, two llamas, two turkeys, countless chickens, guinea hens, fish. Too many dogs and cats to remember. A tarantula, hamsters, a pet rat, a parrot...um...I think that’s it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn love this thread. Trip down memory lane. Thank you.

A lot. We grew up with dogs. First dog was when my mom was pregnant with me. When my dad proposed to my mom (both my parents did not grow up with any animals in their families) he said his only requirement is they get a dog to which my mom replied when we get pregnant since her reasoning was she would be stuck with me anyway haha. Anyway they got a boxer.

apacheandmissy.jpg

After Apache they started rescuing dogs and we grew up with many animals. Gerbils, hamsters, Guinea pigs but never any cats.

Cornelius

corneliusandme.jpg

Casey

caseyandme.jpg

Damien and Casey

caseyanddamien.jpg

Literally almost 100 gerbils. Don't ask. We thought we were getting 2 girls and turns out we got a boy and a girl. Adam and Eve who had Minnie and Mickey and lots of others. Tough finding homes for all of them but we did. LOL

Our first rescue dog. Oscar. A love.

Oscarandme.jpeg

And many many many others. When I moved out on my own I got my first (rescue) cat and that was the beginning of being a crazy cat girl. Hahaha. My very first cat was Buster who was a rescue at the ASPCA. I couldn't bear to choose who would live and die so I sent my dad in and he chose Buster. Then a year later my sister said I needed to rescue another because I was never home (I was in my early twenties and single and was always out) so I rescued two kitties found in a blizzard by 2 little old ladies. Butch and Billy. And that was the end of my "normal" life lol. Soon came Greg and thankfully despite never knowing cats and also being terribly allergic he fell in love with all my cats and they became his too.

billybutchandbuster.jpg

Buster in my very first grown up apartment after I graduated. I furnished it all white haha. Very practical since I ended up with 3 cats. :lol:
busterasababy.png

buster1992.png

Butch
butch.jpeg.png

Buster and Billy

busterandbilly.jpeg.png

And despite many challenges along the way (yes you RW I am looking at you!) I never regretted adopting cats and never regretted anything we do regarding the rescue cats. It is all worth it. I love animals. All animals. And wish we could save them all. But I always tell myself-one day at a time, step at a time. And this.
"Saving one cat won't change the world. But for that one cat, the world will change forever"

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium

A lot. We grew up with dogs. First dog was when my mom was pregnant with me. When my dad proposed to my mom (both my parents did not grow up with any animals in their families) he said his only requirement is they get a dog to which my mom replied when we get pregnant since her reasoning was she would be stuck with me anyway haha. Anyway they got a boxer.

apacheandmissy.jpg

After Apache they started rescuing dogs and we grew up with many animals. Gerbils, hamsters, Guinea pigs but never any cats.

Cornelius

corneliusandme.jpg

Casey

caseyandme.jpg

Damien and Casey

caseyanddamien.jpg

Literally almost 100 gerbils. Don't ask. We thought we were getting 2 girls and turns out we got a boy and a girl. Adam and Eve who had Minnie and Mickey and lots of others. Tough finding homes for all of them but we did. LOL

Oscarandme.jpeg

And many many many others. When I moved out on my own I got my first (rescue) cat and that was the beginning of being a crazy cat girl. Hahaha. My very first cat was Buster who was a rescue at the ASPCA. I couldn't bear to choose who would live and die so I sent my dad in and he chose Buster. Then a year later my sister said I needed to rescue another because I was never home (I was in my early twenties and single and was always out) so I rescued two kitties found in a blizzard by 2 little old ladies. Butch and Billy. And that was the end of my "normal" life lol. Soon came Greg and thankfully despite never knowing cats and also being terribly allergic he fell in love with all my cats and they became his too.

billybutchandbuster.jpg

Buster in my very first grown up apartment after I graduated. I furnished it all white haha. Very practical since I ended up with 3 cats. :lol:
busterasababy.png

buster1992.png

Butch
butch.jpeg.png

Buster and Billy

busterandbilly.jpeg.png

And despite many challenges along the way (yes you RW I am looking at you!) I never regretted adopting cats and never regretted anything we do regarding the rescue cats. It is all worth it. I love animals. All animals. And wish we could save them all. But I always tell myself-one day at a time, step at a time. And this.
"Saving one cat won't change the world. But for that one cat, the world will change forever"

@missy love all these pics. Wonderful!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As a kid, 2 dogs (at separate times), 2 parakeets, a couple of hermit crabs, and a bunch of fish. As an adult, 4 dogs, fish, and 2 geckos. Now we have just the two dogs but I want more dogs and/or animals. Convincing the hubby is tough, though!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure I can be accurate. 11 dogs, 4 birds, 5 gerbils, 2 turtles, many goldfish and tropical fish, 1 rabbit, 1 cat for a short period. My family had horses (4), but I didn't have any ownership, just occasional riding.

joelly

Ideal_Rock

apacheandmissy.jpg

Cornelius

corneliusandme.jpg

Casey

caseyandme.jpg

Damien and Casey

caseyanddamien.jpg

Oscarandme.jpeg

billybutchandbuster.jpg

busterasababy.png

buster1992.png

Butch
butch.jpeg.png

Buster and Billy

busterandbilly.jpeg.png

Your post touched my heart. Thank you for sharing this.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
More than I'd like to count. Out pets, all but one - a bulldog with major breathing problems - have all lived the normal length, but I'm old and they don't live long enough!

Although I do have 3 fish that I've had since 6/99 (I remember the date because I was new to my job and took an afternoon off, even though I had just started, to go to another town to get these fish). I started with 4 of them, but 1 died a few years ago.

@missy Lovely pictures! Boxer's are the best, but health problems have been inbred in them so badly now. We lost ours a few years ago. She had had 2 mast cell tumors removed, a pacemaker installed, and we still lost her to congestive heart failure. It was so sad, because she was an amazing dog, which of course they all are. She made it to just a few months shy of 12, so not too bad.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Demon , you reminded me of the worst loss we ever had. My family's last labrador retriever was stolen at about 2 years old. That was horrible. We never found out what happened to him. He just disappeared from our yard. They left his collar behind. I wish I knew what happened to him. Maybe I don't want to know though.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love reading all the responses, it looks like PS'ers have had their share of furry company! For us we have had:

6 dogs
9 cats
7 birds
2 hamsters
1 bunny

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5 dogs
10 cats
3 rats

@Diamond Girl 21 Your Pearl looks so much like my Rosie. (and one of our cats was named Pearl!)

Not the best pictures, just the first ones on my phone, the current pets, of course
Rosie
20200223_204204.jpg 20200220_214927.jpg

Hunter
20200222_101953.jpg

Ollie

20200223_205257.jpg 20200222_123752.jpg
Heidi

Last edited:

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
@Demon , you reminded me of the worst loss we ever had. My family's last labrador retriever was stolen at about 2 years old. That was horrible. We never found out what happened to him. He just disappeared from our yard. They left his collar behind. I wish I knew what happened to him. Maybe I don't want to know though.

Ohh, that's so awful.. My wish is that they could not resist the cuteness and have loved him ever since. I refuse to consider other outcomes! It has to be heart wrenching for you, and I'm so sorry it happened. It made me cry.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
4 dogs, 1 bird, guinea pig, 3 hampsters, turtles, and fish...My mom got a cat and another dog after I left home..so I’m not counting them..

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
12 cats
12 dogs
4 guinea pigs
more than 12 chickens
a lot of fish
7 budgies
8 small grass parrots
1 goat called Michelangelo as a child

I think that's it, I grew up with pets.....

WindyCityCoco

Rough_Rock
Bailey(my first dog from a breeder before I discovered rescue) Bailey Rec park.JPG

Coco- the love of my life and my first rescue who taken from her mother way to young. I had to bottle feed her and she almost died. She ultimately lived to the ripe age of 14- we lost her a year and half ago. I miss her so much. I think about her everyday... Coco 5-13.jpg
Murphy- my latest little rescue nuget. He was on the kill floor of a local shelter. He is the most loving and affectionate guy ever!
murph beach.JPG

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5 dogs
10 cats
3 rats

@Diamond Girl 21 Your Pearl looks so much like my Rosie. (and one of our cats was named Pearl!)

Not the best pictures, just the first ones on my phone, the current pets, of course
Rosie
20200223_204204.jpg 20200220_214927.jpg

Hunter
20200222_101953.jpg

Ollie

20200223_205257.jpg 20200222_123752.jpg
Heidi

@KaeKae Pearl and Rosie could be sisters....too cute! All of your babies are precious!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, it's also wonderful to see these pictures, they are all so cute!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness! If I only knew exactly! My parents had a pet shop and then a kennel and were dog breeders, groomers and trainers as well. We had so many dogs and cats, really more than I could count but we also had (not all at once) :lol:
2 Horses
1 Pony
1 Goat
2 Rabbits
1 Monkey
4 Parrots
1 Raccoon (Rocky)
1 Corn Snake
5+ Fish
I feel sure I’ve missed some...Now I only have one elderly apricot mini poodle left. :( Here he is several years ago.
6BE86FF9-1D2D-4466-AA28-92CCCEBA6A15.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results