shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you control your cravings?

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
I get late-night (ambien induced) cravings for fried food and burgers. Strange, because red meat is not something I've consumed in many years, so I don't really know where that craving comes from.

What are your tips for curbing late-night cravings?

I've heard that you should drink water and the craving will go away.
Any other tips?

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I don't, I eat when I'm hungry, even at 1am :bigsmile:

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
minmin001|1318391039|3038328 said:
I don't, I eat when I'm hungry, even at 1am :bigsmile:

Haha! I wish I could do that!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, see about switching to Melatonin. I switched two month ago and with the exception of last night (which was a medication switching issue) I've been MUCH happier on it than I ever was on ambien. I sleep well and stay asleep. Plus it's over the counter and inexpensive. Late night cravings are much better and usually very ignorable (which wasn't the case with ambien).

Also when I get cravings like the one you have it's for one of two things : salt or protien. So what I do is keep some hard boiled eggs in the fridge for late night cravings I peel one and sprinkle it with salt and eat it. Low cal (78 calories) and fulfills both protein and salt cravings. It really helps. I also keep some low calorie snack packs (100 calorie packets) for sweet cravings, and a bar of dark chocolate for chocolate cravings -- one piece goes a long way.

April20

Ideal_Rock
If it's late ight and just a craving, i brush my teeth. It seems to throw things off for me.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I get chocolate & carb cravings. Here's my ideal diet: chocolate + anything with grains, cereal, pasta, rice, bread, add in a little butter, + chocolate + chocolate + chocolate. If there's a heaven, that's what they'll serve me. :lickout: When I get cravings at night I turn off the light & go to sleep -- if I'm out cold, I don't know I'm hungry.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I take Ambien most evenings too to sleep. The night cravings are terrible. I think I gained 10-15 lbs since I started taking it because I get hungry and then raid the pantry. The last 5 wks I have been dieting, so its been hard to resist, but I just tell myself I can't eat. I think the Ambien makes you uninhibited in that you know you shouldn't eat, but you really dont care like you normally would! Its horrible!

Maybe cut the dose in half? That will probably help. Or switch to another sleep aid? Ambien's been known to cause people to do crazy things while they're taking it (and eating at night is nothing, compared to some stories I've heard)!!! :o

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I started having middle of the night hunger last spring when I was very sick. I would come home from work, sleep, wake up around 1 or 2am, eat, go to bed... Now I'm stuck and it hasn't gone away! My solution was to buy little 5oz bowls and have a tiny bowl of cereal with several flavors beings stocked.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I also brush my teeth.If that isn't working, I'll throw a coat of polish on my nails. By the time they're dry, the craving is usually gone and I have pretty fingers!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
At night I just have to remember that I get bad "creep" if I eat past about 8pm. During the day? I have no control.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stop taking ambien. That's one of the side effects.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I go ahead and eat what I want, but not a ton of it just a few bites then I'm usually good to go back to bed.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Maybe have a look at your overall diet - while cravings can be side effects of medication, they can sometimes be your body's way of trying to get you to give it a certain nutrient that's missing.

I tend to give in (instantly) to cravings, but they're pretty random, rather than the same thing all the time. I'd pay attention to that, and see if there's something missing from your diet that the craved food contains.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I usually have a small serving of a lean protein before bed. Usually I just dip a finger into some peanut butter. I generally don't feel hungry all night, and don't feel STARVED in the mornings when I do this. Another option is protein powder in milk/soy.

I also drink a hot cup of tea before bed.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I don't take Ambien. I've actually stopped taking several medications because of their affect on my appetite (obviously this does not apply to major medical conditions such as diabetes high blood pressure, etc.). When I had trouble sleeping, I employed all of the usual "sleep hygiene" tips. When those didn't work, I added in yoga and exercise. After that, slept like a baby (and still do even if I miss a few days of running).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results