shape
carat
color
clarity

How difficult is installing a new kitchen faucet?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I am trying to update my kitchen. I see a new touchless faucet I like, on sale at Costco, and called a plumber to see how much it would cost to have them do the installation. I was sticker shocked, again. They want 350.00 and did not even ask if this was a new type pf faucet. So now I want to know if a person (not me) could do it themselves. Any experience on PS with this subject?

Annette

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I am trying to update my kitchen. I see a new touchless faucet I like, on sale at Costco, and called a plumber to see how much it would cost to have them do the installation. I was sticker shocked, again. They want 350.00 and did not even ask if this was a new type pf faucet. So now I want to know if a person (not me) could do it themselves. Any experience on PS with this subject?

Annette

What’s the trigger mechanism? Is it on the floor or do you wave your hand under it?
Either way it sounds like it’s complicated in that you need an electric connection under the sink somewhere. It’s not as simple as a non touchless faucet. But $350 is a lot and the installation should be less.

Also you need a special wrench so if you don’t have that you’d have to purchase it. Basin wrench. But that is not expensive.

Check out YouTube for installation of touchless faucets. I’m sure there are a good number of helpful how to videos.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't answer with any certainty or experience, however I also want to switch out the faucet on my kitchen sink. From countless other jobs/updates/renos, both DH and I guessed at $300 just for the labor, plus the cost of the faucet I choose. That is for the local handyman, not a plumber. So when I read $350, I thought that sounded about right.

I am handy and would enjoy doing it myself . So to that part of the question, I do think it can be done yourself depending upon how much experience you have doing this sort of thing, and how resourceful you are with watching videos and ensuring you have a good handle on it before attempting. The one concern - and why I haven't attempted it yet - is that if you don't get it right, it could leak and become a very costly error. For me it's in our second home, so if it leaks we may not be there to catch it right away. If we do move forward, I may forgo my personal satisfaction and hire a (carefully vetted) pro for peace of mind.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Touchless faucets can either be battery powered or require outlet under your sink. So first, see which type of power it will use so you can watch videos for that type of installation.
$350 is about right. Plumbing work is expensive. In our area plumbers charge ~$160/hour.
If the one you chose is battery powered, then someone who is fairly handy could probably do it themselves.

When is the last time you tried turning off the valves under the sink? I have found that almost every single time we do any renovations---the valves are stuck and need to be replaced. Maybe we are just unlucky.
If they turn off easily that would make it much easier for a do it yourself.
If they are stuck---I would definitely use a plumber so the valves could get replaced.

chere

Shiny_Rock
I think $350 is fair for a plumber to make a house call and this is an easy DIY job. It’s one of the first DIY jobs I did when I moved out on my own.

But I give the same words of caution as Elizabeth35. It depends on the age/condition of the existing plumbing and shut off valves. I bought an older house and I had a plumber install a shut off lever for the water main. It was an old shut off wheel. I didn’t want to chance touching that on my own. The DH and I replaced the other valves around the house with 1/4 turn shut offs.

I would definitely use a plumber so the valves could get replaced.

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

Annette

My husband replace 3 faucets over the last 2 years. He is not a plumber and just research and watch you tube videos. So I guess my answer is yes.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I would also make sure you know the location of your main water shut off valve--and that it is not stuck.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Considering inflation these days, 350 is reasonable. Hubby said you have to be strong enough to tighten all the valves, makes sure you know how to shut off water, etc. if this is a foreign language to you, pay.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's a battery operated one (as many are), it took my DH about 30 minutes to install the one we bought from Costco last year. He had never installed a faucet before. He is generally handy and likes to figure things out. It's been great!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

That is the very least I would be paying. I agree with others with upgrading (or installing for the first time) the shut off valves that is of great value to the overall project. And standard/code. Much success to you. Having new fixtures are wonderful!

cheers--Sharon

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Thank you to all of you. I continued to investigate and found most touchless faucets are battery operated. I watch a video and it made all the points you all made. The shut off valves were mentioned.
I checked Home Depot, and they said on the phone they charge 169.00 for installation if you buy your faucet from them.
I will go this route, but I must go to the store in person. I can't do it on line, They have a wide range of prices for the faucets. I know Kolher and Moen, which are the most expensive. If I can get to the store I will make other inquiries.
I had a good laugh to myself over this. I found a faucet that is a smart one, You have four ways to activate it. It can be voice activated and includes temperature of the water. Now, I talk to my television, I talk to myself, and now I can talk to my faucet. They all listen to me. Can my life get any better?

Annette
Go to home depot ladies.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now, I talk to my television, I talk to myself, and now I can talk to my faucet. They all listen to me. Can my life get any better?

You could have a cat like mine who, when he gets bored, sits on the sink and slaps the touch faucet so he can watch the magic water come and go.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hubby just installed ours a week and half ago, its got the batteries...he said it was at least an hour worth of work...so no idea how much it cost by plumber but apparently they are not easy to install....they do take some getting use to after they are installed

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a touchless faucet (and had to turn off that feature because one of my Maine Coons watched us and learned how to use BOTH sensors) that I replaced after one year. These faucets do come with instructions, and often times you can find installation videos on YouTube or manufacturer site.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck Annette. Glad you found a plumber for a reasonable fee.
Our cats enjoy faucets (and sinks) very much and yeah touchless would not work for our furry family. They would be furever turning on and off the water :lol: but it would be very entertaining to watch :)

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 6.39.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 6.39.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 6.39.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 6.38.36 AM.png

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a new kitchen faucet installed in the last few months and $350 is an absolute bargain! First place quoted $750, I think, and I ended up getting it done for $500. There's a lot more to it than you think.

P.S. This did include new shutoff valves.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last faucet I had (couple of years ago) I'm the one that changed it. Took me 2 hours. had to go back and forth to HomeDepot but I got what I needed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results