shape
carat
color
clarity

House Cleaner

P

PierreBear

Hi PSers,

Does anyone mind sharing if they use a house cleaner and whether you give them annual raises? We finally bit the bullet and decided to get someone to come in once a month for those harder to get to places. It's made a great difference and just was curious about best practice as our cleaners work so hard and do such great work.

Thanks!

Q

Queenie60

I've had the same cleaner for 10 years. I do not give her annual raises - they seem to set their own price which is pricey however, it's convenient for me as I have full trust in her. I do gift her a nice bonus at Christmas time.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
We've only had our cleaner for two years, but I don't plan on giving her a raise unless she raises her rates (and when we priced out cleaners, she was in the middle of the road in terms of rates). Same thing with our nanny who we have had for 5 years. She raised her daily rate last year and that was fine, but I wasn't going to be the one to initiate a conversation about a salary increase.

We also give our cleaner a bonus during the holidays.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a couple of threads on this very topic! I'm not great at using the archives or I'd link them for you.

When I've had cleaners, I've paid what I consider a living wage: $26-$36/hour. At Christmas and 4th of July I give them an additional day of pay as a bonus. If they last longer than 1 year with me, I also give them a sick day with pay and a Personal Leave day with pay.

I never cancelled unless there was illness in the house (and I didn't want them in my house if they were sick) and if that was the case I offered to reschedule so they did not lose the income. I kept the house picked up/decluttered so they were actually cleaning as opposed to moving stuff around to clean. They never had to clean up anything 'gross,' either.

I've only had 1 cleaner who did a consistently good job and was reliable. The rest were either unreliable due to chaotic lives or slack when it came to the actual cleaning.

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
azstonie|1487868921|4132605 said:
There are a couple of threads on this very topic! I'm not great at using the archives or I'd link them for you.

When I've had cleaners, I've paid what I consider a living wage: $26-$36/hour. At Christmas and 4th of July I give them an additional day of pay as a bonus. If they last longer than 1 year with me, I also give them a sick day with pay and a Personal Leave day with pay.

I never cancelled unless there was illness in the house (and I didn't want them in my house if they were sick) and if that was the case I offered to reschedule so they did not lose the income. I kept the house picked up/decluttered so they were actually cleaning as opposed to moving stuff around to clean. They never had to clean up anything 'gross,' either.

I've only had 1 cleaner who did a consistently good job and was reliable. The rest were either unreliable due to chaotic lives or slack when it came to the actual cleaning.

Can I come clean your house?? Kidding. Maybe. But not really.

It's really great to read that. An unselfish, adequate living wage.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a house cleaner who comes in once a week. We give a Christmas bonus, which is usually what we pay for 2 weeks (often a little more), and then raises every several years just kind of depending? We also pay her when we are out of town and leave occasional cleaning tasks like the outside of the windows, etc for then, so she doesn't have to miss out on pay because we are on vacation.

siv1

Shiny_Rock
A friend had a house cleaning business. She would tell her customers the price, and every year or so, she would adjust the price.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm the only one in our house who has ever done housework/gardening/repair/painting/handyman etc. etc.
I can't imagine paying someone to do something that I can do myself.
I'll never be that rich.

I've never gotten paid, let alone gotten a raise.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a girl clean for us every 2 weeks; she charges us $20 an hour. She charges other people $5 more per hour than she charges us; but we have her clean for 4 hours each time and they usually have her clean for 2 hours. I give her an extra $10 every time and she usually doesn't stay the entire 4 hours. I give her $100 for Christmas. I keep expecting her to raise our rates but so far she hasn't. She does a good job but misses a few things.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results