shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday Travel--Tips for Packing Light

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven, if you get cold easily, bring what you need for extra warmth. I rarely get cold so we''re probably not on the same temperature page! I brought thermals to wear under jeans in Europe when I went backpacking in the dead of winter through countries like Germany and Czech republic, and never bothered to wear them.

The PJs won''t take much room, so bring them if it makes you happy...vacation is all about happiness!

I''ll defer to Delster...if people don''t smoke in pubs anymore, you won''t really need the febreze. It was seriously horrific when I went. Really, really REALLY bad.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the Febreze (sorry for spelling it wrong earlier) is a good idea, nonetheless. Second-hand smoke isn''t the only thing that can make a person stinky!

Thanks so much for all of your insight, everyone. I''m so excited I can''t stand it!!!!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven, have fun! It sounds like a wonderful trip!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2010 9:11:57 AM
Author: Delster
Haven you''re coming to Ireland?!?!? Woooohooooo!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I think your list looks great, I''d just second the suggestions of a warm hat, a scarf/wrap/shawl, and a dressy top. People do dress up here a lot more than in the States. I mean you wouldn''t really go down the pub in a sweatshirt and big white sneakers... Something I often do for a dressier outfit when I travel is to bring a light dress that I can wear over jeans with canvas shoes or sandals during the day, and then switch it to dressier shoes, pretty earrings and a nice wrap in the evening.

If you wanted to it would be very easy to pick up a dressy top over here that you could wear out for drinks/dinner and then you''d have it as a souvenir when you get home... Penneys is a great bet for this type of thing and there''s a huge Penneys on or off the main street of just about every major town.

Oh and re toiletries - I always just bring the bare essentials. My philosophy is you can buy everything else once you get to your destination and you''ll use it up while you''re there. For toiletries the best place is to hit a Boots Chemists, again there''ll be one on or off the main street in just about every major town.

Exciting exciting exciting!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

ETA - Don''t forget your plug adaptors! You can pick these up in the airport when you arrive but it''s generally much cheaper to buy them in a shop before you head off.

Haven, I took kids to Ireland last year in June and want to echo Delster on a few points. I can''t live without my yoga pants, they are the spendy black kind that look like dressy pants... can go under a jersey dress or out hiking and dry overnight. I only pack thongs for undies as they dry out faster overnight. Well, here is my list.

carryon backpack
lightweight rain/wind breaker, toiletries, chargers, converter, camera, ipod, book (read something Irish while there! even if it is Maeve Binchy or fluffy stuff, you know it helps the immersion process), snacks, eye mask or shawl will do for that in a pinch.

wear on plane: yoga pants, red soccer shoes (good for walking a ton and sporty enough for going out without looking like a NIKE American), tight fitting fleece, wicking short sleeve top, bra, undies.

Pack, 2 more books, 2 pairs of ankle socks, 1 pair dansko walking sandals, 2 pairs thongs (detergent in travel bottle), jersey skirt, 1 black capri, 2 short sleeve tops, one tank, one long sleeve, one microfibre dress, one metal water bottle for refilling, one little over the shoulder bag for passport, wallet, camera when the backpack is too big, one shawl for coldness or covering shoulders when going into places of worship. One set of fork, spoon, butter knife for when we grab lunch at a grocery and make sandwiches. It was pretty warm last June when we were in Dublin, but got cooler down south and when we went to the beach it was frigid! Hope this helps. Oh, and for room to add new stuff, take things that you are willing to leave behind, undies that have seen better days, paperbacks when you are done with them, a shirt that just isn''t very you. I wore my rings to Ireland with no issue at all, but left studs at home b/c i didn''t want to take them off and forget them. Hope this helps!

Have a fantastic trip!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 12:52:56 PM
Author: swimmer
read something Irish while there! even if it is Maeve Binchy or fluffy stuff, you know it helps the immersion process
Ooh good idea! I highly recommend Marian Keyes for some light holiday reading - the older stuff, not so much the more recent stuff. I loved Sushi for Beginners, Last Chance Saloon, Rachels Holiday and Watermelon especially.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 12:59:08 PM
Author: Porridge

read something Irish while there! even if it is Maeve Binchy or fluffy stuff, you know it helps the immersion process
Ooh good idea! I highly recommend Marian Keyes for some light holiday reading - the older stuff, not so much the more recent stuff. I loved Sushi for Beginners, Last Chance Saloon, Rachels Holiday and Watermelon especially.
If you want to read something amusing, read Round Ireland with a Fridge. I read it while backpacking Europe.

"When British writer, performer and musician Hawks makes a drunken bet for ?100 that he can "hitchhike round the circumference of Ireland, with a fridge, in one calendar month," he starts, in 1997, an unexpectedly wonderful adventure into the good-natured soul of the Irish people. Though the book begins inauspiciously as a bad parody of Dave Barry''s travel books, with Hawks assuming a smug distance from the people and events he encounters, happily fate intervenes in the form of a jovial radio-show host who convinces Hawks to phone in daily to share updates about his travels with the fridge. Almost overnight, Hawks becomes a regional legendA"The Fridge Man"Awith all sorts of people willing to help him achieve his goal, however silly it may be. What could have been a convenient contrivance actually allows a kinder and far funnier Hawks to appear, as his daily talks with his radio "fans" bring him unexpected delights, including encounters with an overenthusiastic innkeeper and his family, the amazing champion surfer Bingo, various musicians and lots of pub visits. In the end, Hawks''s book becomes a lively celebration of contemporary Irish society and the goodwill of its people that neither revels in irony nor descends into mawkishness."

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
Don''t agonize about stuff you might need, because you can always buy it there. The euro is pretty weak against the dollar, considering. Only bring stuff you know for sure you''ll need.

My tip is to bring things that are disposable wherever possible. Older underwear that you should probably throw out anyway, cheap flip-flops, toiletries in bottles that you can toss when your trip is done with. This doesn''t help with packing light on the way there, but it means you have room in your bag for souvenirs for the way back.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
That looks gas TGal, thanks!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Wasn''t there a link-in between that Round Ireland with a Fridge guy and the Gerry Ryan show?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 1:15:28 PM
It''s a fun book.

I enjoyed it more because I had already been to Ireland. The beauty of Ireland is not only in the scenery, but in the people. I had adventures as a single woman in Ireland that I would not have had anywhere else (and I gave it a good effort since I did backpack around Europe the following year). My adventures included a nice Irish guy (who had a girlfriend, and who wanted nothing sexual from me) who took a day off work to drive me around Connemara to show me his beautiful part of the world. He took me fishing, to a golf course for tea, and just around all day (with the price of gas, that was amazing). Dropped me off and said I hope I enjoyed his country. I also ended up at an after party with Irish insurance salesmen...and was the only woman (outside the barmaids) at the part. At the end of the party, they all dropped their pants (they were singing all night and it culminated with Father Abraham). In Dingle, I got locked in at a bar with its very nice staff...all because the barmaid was impressed I spoke Spanish.

I think I posted part of my story here (I was writing on during the trip), which included dealings with a "ghost." Truly Ireland ranks up there as my top solo traveling adventure...even more entertaining than when I met TGuy.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I loved that TGal said that the beauty of Ireland is not only in the scenery but also in its people. That''s a great way to describe it. Everyone we met was SO incredibly friendly. The scenery is gorgeous, and the people are fabulous! I want to go back so badly.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 1:27:54 PM
Wasn''t there a link-in between that Round Ireland with a Fridge guy and the Gerry Ryan show?
Was there? Probably, sounds like the kind of thing he''d have on the show. But I was 12 in 1997 so I''m not a reliable memory source! I don''t remember hearing about it.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 1:32:13 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Date: 5/25/2010 1:15:28 PM

It''s a fun book.

I enjoyed it more because I had already been to Ireland. The beauty of Ireland is not only in the scenery, but in the people. I had adventures as a single woman in Ireland that I would not have had anywhere else (and I gave it a good effort since I did backpack around Europe the following year). My adventures included a nice Irish guy (who had a girlfriend, and who wanted nothing sexual from me) who took a day off work to drive me around Connemara to show me his beautiful part of the world. He took me fishing, to a golf course for tea, and just around all day (with the price of gas, that was amazing). Dropped me off and said I hope I enjoyed his country. I also ended up at an after party with Irish insurance salesmen...and was the only woman (outside the barmaids) at the part. At the end of the party, they all dropped their pants (they were singing all night and it culminated with Father Abraham). In Dingle, I got locked in at a bar with its very nice staff...all because the barmaid was impressed I spoke Spanish.

I think I posted part of my story here (I was writing on during the trip), which included dealings with a ''ghost.'' Truly Ireland ranks up there as my top solo traveling adventure...even more entertaining than when I met TGuy.
Aw I''m glad you liked it so much. The Irish are a fun bunch. Come back anytime!!
35.gif
You too Zoe!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I see now TGal's blurb actually referenced a radio show link-in. My bad I didn't notice it at first. I'm pretty sure it was Gerry Ryan. Poor Gerry.

Date: 5/25/2010 5:20:20 PM

Wasn't there a link-in between that Round Ireland with a Fridge guy and the Gerry Ryan show?

Was there? Probably, sounds like the kind of thing he'd have on the show. But I was 12 in 1997 so I'm not a reliable memory source! I don't remember hearing about it.

23.gif
39.gif
23.gif

I feel so old!!!

I did the Leaving in 1997!!!

39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

Haven you're going to have such a blast, I'm very excited for you and can't wait to see your photos and hear all about the trip!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 5:29:21 PM
I see now TGal''s blurb actually referenced a radio show link-in. My bad I didn''t notice it at first. I''m pretty sure it was Gerry Ryan. Poor Gerry.

Date: 5/25/2010 5:20:20 PM

Was there? Probably, sounds like the kind of thing he''d have on the show. But I was 12 in 1997 so I''m not a reliable memory source! I don''t remember hearing about it.

23.gif
39.gif
23.gif

I feel so old!!!

I did the Leaving in 1997!!!

39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

Haven you''re going to have such a blast, I''m very excited for you and can''t wait to see your photos and hear all about the trip!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Ah get away - you''re only old if you did the Intercert
3.gif

Poor Gerry...I wonder who''ll replace him.

Haven - the weather is supposed to be bad this weekend, but I hope that means there''s more sun coming next week!! It''s still beautiful here at the moment.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
TGal! I had the same experience of ending my evening in a bar with a bunch of drunk guys dropping trou all while singing Father Abraham, though I was in Paris at the time. Good times... it was my first night in Paris and I remember the HORROR when I went to the bathroom and discovered it was in a basement and consisted of a hole in the ground with two footprints on either side.

Haven, so jealous, I love Ireland, you are going to have a blast!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
this thread is very good value
9.gif
doodle, you''re amazing, only carry-on? ive never managed that...

But i am good at packing light too! SO and I traveled for all of 2008 through africa, the middle east and Europe/Canada (3 months)...our packs were light because we simply couldnt stand to carry them
21.gif

We each had a backpack, not the biggest you can buy, sorta the bigger of the mid-size ones. One had our tent, sleeping mats and sleeping bags and first aid kit in it. The other our clothes and toiletries. And neither was full (except when we got to Europe and had more changeable weather to contend with). I think i had a pair of shorts, pair of capris, pair of pants, one lightweight jacket/jumper, 4 t-shirts, bathers, and two pairs of shoes (sandals and runners)
21.gif
strangely enough then when i went on a two week holiday within Canada last year, i took twice as much
31.gif
its funny how you adapt...

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 10:52:11 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married!
I love Last Chance Saloon! I read that some time last year.

I just picked up Maeve Binchy''s Quentin''s at the used book store, as well as a couple of $1 used magazines for the plane ride there. Gotta love $1 magazines.

Thanks again everyone for all of the tips. I''m very excited!!!! DH and I are going to pack our bag tonight. I think we''re going to end up checking one medium Eddie Bauer duffel bag and then bringing our backpacks as carry-ons. That way I can throw in some extra tees and not feel bad about it.

Thanks so much for all of your excellent tips, everyone! I''ll be sure to post a good trip report with pictures when we get back.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have an amazing trip Haven!! Enjoy!

Haven I''m totally jealous of how light you are packing. I am going camping for 3 nights and I''m packing more than that
9.gif

I did find some awesome tips in here though..!!

Oh and I hope you have lots of fun!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results