shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday Tipping

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean - I agree, I am generous. But she has worked for me for years and is a gem! And I rarely tip during the year.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
It seems like not many posters work in the service industry. Like most, when I get my hair done, I tip 20% as well. But that's easy work. I think the difficulty of the labor should have an impact on the amount of the tip.

When you get right down to it, a self-employed person, i.e., a business owner, with no employees, oftentimes has overhead to contend with. As such, their income could be comparable to, or slightly higher than what an employee would make. Not tipping the owner of a business, especially a one-person operation, is a very old-world mentality. Why should they be punished by non-tipping when they went through the trouble, effort and risk it took to start a business??

Not that it's going to make a difference to any of the non-tippers here, but I'll tell you how I handle non-tippers, for some perspective. I own a mobile pet grooming service that is in extremely high demand. I am the ONLY one that services certain areas of North Orange County in California. Typically, the people that come to me are either older and can't get their pets to the groomer anymore, too busy to go to the groomer, their pets are too old to be in a cage at the groomer, or what I see most, their pets have been injured at a grooming salon. Personally, I don't charge as high as I could for the area I am in, and don't raise my prices every year. Almost without exception, I service residences that are easily 5 to 20 times the value of mine. I specialize in older and anxious pets because I am not rushing to do 10 pets a day. I take my time with all of them and have a zero injury record. I went to an accredited grooming school and purchased a $100k grooming van to start the business. Demand is 10x what I can manage alone, and I have yet to meet another groomer that has the sensitivities I have for pets, therefor, I cannot hire anyone to get another van going and service the people begging to be on my schedule.

Luckily for me, these circumstances allow me to be as selective as I want to be, but I haven't been. Because my prices are reasonable and I am reliable, hard-working, honest and genuinely care for my pet clients, AND my pet clients love me, my clients ADORE me. They can tell the difference between me and their former groomers. The clients that appreciate and reward me for my efforts and for dealing with their older and/or difficult pets, get to be on my schedule. The ones that don't, find themselves having to find another groomer. I've had former clients that have called me begging to get back on my schedule due to mishaps at other places and THEN offer to pay more to get on my schedule, but there is no more of me. I'm booked solid, and overbooked actually, because I can't say no.

I think that when you find a gem, you treat them as such. And if you don't, someone else will. A client is much easier to find than a reliable and trustworthy service person I think. In my opinion, it's not how much a client gives, it's the intent to show appreciation that is important to me. I've had people that treat me as if I am below them because I am a groomer. In my former life, I managed mid-sized law firms and have a degree in paralegal studies, so that mentality is not appreciated. I chose to become a groomer because I got sick and tired of attorneys expecting yet not appreciating my going over and above the call of duty. Now, I am doing something I love, taking care of other people's pets as kindly and gently as if they were my own. Why wouldn't you reward someone you value who treats you fairly and is exceptional? I know other groomers that overcharge for their services and don't expect to get tipped because the tip is built into the price. I find that disingenuous, yet that is what some of you prefer. If you are happy with and wish to keep your valuable service people, treat them that way.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I'd tip my jeweler, as that seems weird. But I think I might get her a christmas gift this year since I've been particularly active with projects (I think as of christmas she'll have reset a ring, made a bangle, and made 2 rings for me since mid September).

We've also known each other 10 years and she's a sweetheart. Her prices are always fair , she's never said no to a job no matter how small, and she's always been happy to let me just drop by her studio on short notice. i appreciate that she takes her work to heart, and she's always honest with me if she doesn't think something will work lol. She owns/is her own business, but I agree with the above sentiment that it just means she works harder to keep it profitable.

I tip my hairdresser that I see every 3 months about 15%, she's young and nice and was the one who came up with the brilliant suggestion that I get an undercut (which I love, and I am told is just "edgy enough" to get away with at the hospital). I"ll probably drop a 20$ tip in her box for christmas.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In relation to what Sandy said, my assumption is the salon owner builds his tip into his pricing since at least where we live, it isn't customary to tip the owner. I also pay him and my cleaning person in cash, which I think they appreciate.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In relation to what Sandy said, my assumption is the salon owner builds his tip into his pricing since at least where we live, it isn't customary to tip the owner. I also pay him and my cleaning person in cash, which I think they appreciate.

Yup me too. And I pay my hairdresser and cleaning people generously and they appreciate it as I appreciate them. I tip and give cash gifts when I feel it is appropriate. No one has ever been disappointed with me as a long term customer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup me too. And I pay my hairdresser and cleaning people generously and they appreciate it as I appreciate them. I tip and give cash gifts when I feel it is appropriate. No one has ever been disappointed with me as a long term customer.

Your long term customer comment made me think...I've had the same hairdresser for 30 years (first the wife and several years later I switched to her husband when she had health problems and had to stop working), and my cleaning person I have had for at least 25!!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your long term customer comment made me think...I've had the same hairdresser for 30 years (first the wife and several years later I switched to her husband when she had health problems and had to stop working), and my cleaning person I have had for at least 25!!!!

Exactly. My hairdresser and I have been happily together for over 30 years and my cleaning people always stick with us until we move or they move so I think everyone is quite content with us as customers and generally vice versa. That says it all. And it's not about what one does one day of the year but how you treat and compensate the people who work for you all year long.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love tipping. In another lifetime, when my husband was a student and waited tables and we had three children under our roof...Christmas tips were how we put gifts under the tree. You never know how you are helping people out this time of year.

I tip big anyway but depending on who I’m tipping, I might double the tip.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I love tipping. In another lifetime, when my husband was a student and waited tables and we had three children under our roof...Christmas tips were how we put gifts under the tree. You never know how you are helping people out this time of year.

I tip big anyway but depending on who I’m tipping, I might double the tip.
I do too! I waited tables in my youth and quickly realized how difficult that job is, and how either stingy or generous certain people are. Co-workers would bicker amongst themselves to serve the known good tippers, and basically have to be assigned the known poor tippers and foreigners (typically poor tippers). I am sensitive to and reward excellence in service as well. Some employees, in any field, do the bare minimum to get the job done, and others strive for excellence every time. I believe that to just be inherent personal qualities. So when I find someone doing their utmost to please me, I reward them for the effort, as much as I like to be rewarded for my effort.

My thinking is that I am very lucky to have achieved as much as I have in life considering what I come from, and an extra $5, 10 or 20 isn't going to really affect me, but it WILL make another person very happy. I have found that almost without exception, the more I give, the more I get. And the unexpected pleasant surprise I can give to another person, thrills me just as much. There have been many times in life when I couldn't do that, but now that I can afford diamonds, I can certainly afford to tip well.

Maybe hair salons are different and owners charge more for their services, but I don't charge anyone more for services based on location, perceived wealth, or any other factor. I do charge some people less based on perceived wealth though. I have a series of clients at a retirement home that I know are on a fixed income, and I charge them half of my usual rate. I don't do it for the people though, I do it because I want those pets to be comfortable, and charge as little as I can to break even and make the people comfortable in seeing me on a regular basis. I also have a couple of homeless people that I groom pets for that are in my area, as it breaks my heart to see the pets in those conditions as I drive by day after day. Many people don't understand the hugely detrimental effects of overgrown nails and matted hair, so I do my level best to help those pets whose owners can't afford me. This, as well as tipping well and generously, is just another way of giving back for all of the gifts life has bestowed upon me.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do too! I waited tables in my youth and quickly realized how difficult that job is, and how either stingy or generous certain people are. Co-workers would bicker amongst themselves to serve the known good tippers, and basically have to be assigned the known poor tippers and foreigners (typically poor tippers). I am sensitive to and reward excellence in service as well. Some employees, in any field, do the bare minimum to get the job done, and others strive for excellence every time. I believe that to just be inherent personal qualities. So when I find someone doing their utmost to please me, I reward them for the effort, as much as I like to be rewarded for my effort.

My thinking is that I am very lucky to have achieved as much as I have in life considering what I come from, and an extra $5, 10 or 20 isn't going to really affect me, but it WILL make another person very happy. I have found that almost without exception, the more I give, the more I get. And the unexpected pleasant surprise I can give to another person, thrills me just as much. There have been many times in life when I couldn't do that, but now that I can afford diamonds, I can certainly afford to tip well.

Maybe hair salons are different and owners charge more for their services, but I don't charge anyone more for services based on location, perceived wealth, or any other factor. I do charge some people less based on perceived wealth though. I have a series of clients at a retirement home that I know are on a fixed income, and I charge them half of my usual rate. I don't do it for the people though, I do it because I want those pets to be comfortable, and charge as little as I can to break even and make the people comfortable in seeing me on a regular basis. I also have a couple of homeless people that I groom pets for that are in my area, as it breaks my heart to see the pets in those conditions as I drive by day after day. Many people don't understand the hugely detrimental effects of overgrown nails and matted hair, so I do my level best to help those pets whose owners can't afford me. This, as well as tipping well and generously, is just another way of giving back for all of the gifts life has bestowed upon me.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Random question but any tips on finding a groomer who’d be good at giant breeds? I live in the philly area and have a leonberger and a lot of groomers love him but find grooming him overwhelming because he’s so big and so fluffy. He comes back looking all sorts of odd sometimes depending on how they decide to cut his fur. And sometimes I don’t think the shampoo really penetrated..

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
@MakingTheGrade, I would recommend a salon environment as mobile salons are too small to handle a dog as big as that, salons also have unlimited water to get through that coat and the power to dry with more than one dryer. There are a few things you should ask: in order to get through that coat, it helps if they have a recirculator, which has the power to force water and shampoo deeper in to the coat than a manual bath; and whether they deshed or not.

Leonbergers, being double-coated, should never be shaved, only trimmed to tighten up their shape. Because of the volume of the double-coat, it is imperative that they be de-shed regularly, and especially before, during and after the bath, to debulk the coat. Many groomers skip de-shedding because many owners don't know any better to know the difference, and because it is arduous, messy and highly time-consuming on this type of dog. But de-shedding is the difference between a barely bathed/dried dog, and a well-groomed dog. Bathing and drying without de-shedding only serves to tighten any existing mats, or to compact the coat further. I would also make sure he is being hand-dried and not cage dried, especially if the cage dryer is heated.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MakingTheGrade, I would recommend a salon environment as mobile salons are too small to handle a dog as big as that, salons also have unlimited water to get through that coat and the power to dry with more than one dryer. There are a few things you should ask: in order to get through that coat, it helps if they have a recirculator, which has the power to force water and shampoo deeper in to the coat than a manual bath; and whether they deshed or not.

Leonbergers, being double-coated, should never be shaved, only trimmed to tighten up their shape. Because of the volume of the double-coat, it is imperative that they be de-shed regularly, and especially before, during and after the bath, to debulk the coat. Many groomers skip de-shedding because many owners don't know any better to know the difference, and because it is arduous, messy and highly time-consuming on this type of dog. But de-shedding is the difference between a barely bathed/dried dog, and a well-groomed dog. Bathing and drying without de-shedding only serves to tighten any existing mats, or to compact the coat further. I would also make sure he is being hand-dried and not cage dried, especially if the cage dryer is heated.

Thanks so much!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m bumping this thread for this year in case anyone is new here and stresses over holiday tipping like I do. If anyone reread this thread..I did tip my new cleaning lady in Maryland the $200 last year on top of her $200 cleaning fee. She was very appreciative..She even left me a present of Bath and Body Works lotion and hand soap in a cute bag. My cleaning lady here didn’t even say as much as a thank you and I gave them $400 on top of the fee because there are three girls and one owner.
I’m a little undecided about my mail carrier as he has been extra good this year texting me if I’m not home for a package and signing for me. He calls or texts me first to make sure it’s not valuable. I’m also going to tip my UPS guy when I see him because he delivered so many packages from David this year..lol I’m going to tip them $50 each. I know they aren’t supposed to take more than $20 so I will insist..and if they say no I’ll have to give them a smaller amount later. I have a feeling my mail carrier will have no problem. He reminds of the mail carrier in the movie Funny Farm. It’s an old
movie but so funny!
I almost forgot to say David’s supervisor at work called me this morning to let me know she’s back at work..She had to take time off for something...She asked me to give her an Amazon gift card this year..I think I gave her a Target one last year because she’s always talking about loving Target. I thought that was so tacky!
Please add some thoughts for this year!

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for updating. I am definitely giving our postman here more than last year because he signs for packages for me all the time without me even asking. And saves us lots of time going to pick stuff up at the PO. It is the first time we have actually been here for so many months and have received packages that need signature upon delivery. We are so used to Brooklyn and the doormen signing for all our packages. We haven't been back to Brooklyn since May but we are definitely giving all the doormen and maintenance guys their usual holiday money gifts. Despite not even being there more than half the year. This was one expensive year so why should we stop now? :lol:

ETA and yes @Mamabean that is super tacky of her asking for a gift. SMH.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Austin I never tipped my cleaning lady when she came (every 2 weeks) but I gave her raises through 15 years she cleaned for us and in December the first time she came I paid her for the current visit and also for the next visit and said "See you in January!" she was lovely. So it was like a paid vacation day? As she spoke little English I never knew if she liked it but I hope so.

In Maine the cleaning service was terrible and way too expensive.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My housekeeper comes twice weekly so she is like family. I pay her for a full week two times a year during Christmas and summer. I also pay her if she takes the day off a few times a year. She is the sweetest lady and brings us tamales for Christmas. They are so good!

I tip the mailman and ups guy $20 and give them pumpkin bread and homemade Chex mix. Amazon seems to have a different person every day so idk about that.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you came back with an update! Due to a thread like this I got nervous that I wasn't tipping enough and gave my hairstylist at the time (this was over five years ago) a holiday tip equal to one service ($200). He seemed shocked and uncomfortable, which made me uncomfortable. I tipped my groomer twice what I normally tipped one time when I forgot my dog had an appointment and she still took her in late (and she's the owner). She came out and said ti was too much, it was worth maybe $5 more.

I have a family of my own to provide gifts for, along with extended family, and various people associated with my kids school and activities that we give to. It adds up, and there has to be a limit. So a card with a token of appreciation has to be enough.

So, I have adjusted over the years and this is where I am comfortable:
$20 to my hairstylist on top of her normal tip (she's the owner and I always tip 20% of my service)
$20 to the groomer on top of her normal tip (also the owner and I tip her 20% each visit)
I don't have a housekeeper now but I used to; I would probably tip her $100 at the holidays
I used to give $20 each to the mailman and UPS driver, both of whom were regulars and whom I knew by name. This has changed so I won't be tipping this year (different drivers each day/week).

@Mamabean I would not be giving your DH's supervisor anything this year. That is beyond tacky. I have zero patience for people who do not understand the spirit of gift giving, and the etiquette that goes along with it (i.e. basic courtesy and appreciation.) I do not suffer that mentality well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results