shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed- MacBook owners

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, something strange just happened. I was on PS of course) and these colored horizontal lines started going up and down on my screen. Of course my computer crashed at the same time. I tried turning it off so was wondering if there is a hidden button I am not aware of. Like the paper clip trick with the old imacs. I live too far (and DD is too wild) to head to the apple store right now so I thought maybe my smart PS friends could help!

cara

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, I don't have a new one so my advice might be out of date:

No hidden button. If it is frozen, usually press and hold the on/off button until it reboots. Sometimes after a really bad crash, it will get hung up rebooting on the turning on stage and you have to press and hold again to get it to reboot properly.

Once I had one freeze so bad the button didn't work. Pull the plug and the battery and it will turn off! (no power). Then plug back in and turn it on.

If these don't work, time for a drive!

ps. I did have a bad screen on a new macbook pro once and so if the screen issues happen again you might consider asking for a trade-in.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Cara. I called the support number b/c it seemed like a bad crash (on a NEW computer).

Just in case it happens to anyone else. Since holding down escape, option and the apple keys did nothing he had me to turn the computer off my pressing the power button for 10 secs. Remove the battery and press the power button again for 10 secs (w/o a power source). Then replace battery and turn the computer one WHILE holding the option, apple, "r" and "p" key. Hold them down until the SECOND chime sound. Then under applications go to disk utility. Hit "repair disk permissions." After several minutes says "permissions repair complete" which he said was a good sign. If it was something bad it would say unable to repair.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 3:33:42 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Thanks Cara. I called the support number b/c it seemed like a bad crash (on a NEW computer).

Just in case it happens to anyone else. Since holding down escape, option and the apple keys did nothing he had me to turn the computer off my pressing the power button for 10 secs. Remove the battery and press the power button again for 10 secs (w/o a power source). Then replace battery and turn the computer one WHILE holding the option, apple, ''r'' and ''p'' key. Hold them down until the SECOND chime sound. Then under applications go to disk utility. Hit ''repair disk permissions.'' After several minutes says ''permissions repair complete'' which he said was a good sign. If it was something bad it would say unable to repair.

Wow - I''m going to save that somewhere in case my Macbook crashes when DH isn''t around. Thank you for sharing that
1.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
No problem Amber....

So it has crashed (with those freaky lines) THREE times in the last 24 hours. Do I have a lemon?

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
You might
7.gif

They might have you send it in, but they are really good and fast with repairs. What a bummer!

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
i would just send it in just to be on the safe side. seriously, 3 times in 24 hours!!!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear about your new laptop problems. 3 times in a day is NOT good! I think you have a lemon. I''d send it in. What a pain! I hope it gets resolved soon.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
plus the screen dims on its own...I have never had that happen with any of my other macs. So do I call the retailer or just take it to an apple store?

snlee

Ideal_Rock
The screen dimming on its own is normal. Mine does that too. It''s to save energy.

I would call Apple to find out what to do.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 5:23:40 PM
Author: snlee
The screen dimming on its own is normal. Mine does that too. It''s to save energy.

I would call Apple to find out what to do.

Good to know! Thanks.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Hey Tacori, which Macbook did you buy. I want to get one as well and I am undecided on what to get, also, even though you had this problem today, are you happy you got a Mac?

I was going to get the 13 aluminum or white, but I can''t decide which is better. I don''t want to get the higher more expensive models as I really don''t need it for anything special really.

I hope you don''t mind me asking!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
butteryfly, I have used macs for over 20 years. I still remember the mac plus we had when I was in elementary school. It was never a decision for me to get a mac or not. I LOVE macs and will always have one (given the choice!). I had the white ibook so I was over the white. I just got the base aluminum. I do like it (minus the crashing). They are easy to use and even my PC lover DH has been converted. I got mine at MacMall.com b/c they have the best prices and give you free stuff. Who doesn''t love free stuff? But I filled out 15 rebates! Yikes!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Cool thanks so much. I think I want a white one though, they just upgraded their whites with a better screen and the nvidia card, more memory, etc. and it''s still cheaper.

Thanks again!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 11:49:17 PM
Author: butterfly 17
Cool thanks so much. I think I want a white one though, they just upgraded their whites with a better screen and the nvidia card, more memory, etc. and it''s still cheaper.

Thanks again!

There is NOTHING wrong with the white one. I had (well still have) mine and it is 5+ years. I still have my white imac that is 7 years old! Still work. I was just ready for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results