shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Diamond nightmare!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HvacDoc

Rough_Rock
Hi there, i will say this looks like a great site I''m also a pro. on HVAC TALK.com however I have very limited knowledge when it comes to diamonds.

I purchased a platnium diamond ring one year ago its sat in my safe in my closet for a year.
I thought it be nice to get it resized for my girlfriend for valentimes day, I took it to a big box jeweler
that starts with K and rythmes with hay(I don''t know if we can mention names here?) It was resized from a 7 to a size 9(3mm), she said it be two weeks the time can and went we came by she said that they needed a few more days because the ring did not meet there standards and had to be sent back. We got the ring back a week after,I was very busy with work so my girlfriend pick it up and could not inspect it because it was gift wrapped (she thought she was picking up my rolex ring). She put it in my safe we left on vacation come back and i just happen to check it now the diamond 1ct seams to be craked and on the top of the stone it looks on a corner it looks discolored. I had a friend jeweler look at it he said its an enhanced stone which is crack in between two prongs. All I know is that the stone did not look that way when I sent it in please help me thatnk you.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a little bit of trouble understanding your post - primarily "the diamond 1ct seams to be craked and on the top of the stone it looks on a corner it looks discolored" ... are you saying that the color looks different now, in addition to the crack?

Also, by "the ring did not meet there standards and had to be sent back" are you saying that Kay claims to not have done anything to the ring at all? Do you mean sent back to the original jeweler, or sent back to you with no work having been done?

Your first move should be to take it back to Kay and tell them what you told us. It's possible that they'll say they can't help you due to the time that's passed. But still, that should be your first move.

If it's insured (hopefully!) then you should file a claim, if Kay won't help you.

I don't know that you have any other options...

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 1:14:43 PM
Author: musey
I had a little bit of trouble understanding your post - primarily 'the diamond 1ct seams to be craked and on the top of the stone it looks on a corner it looks discolored' ... are you saying that the color looks different now, in addition to the crack?

Also, by 'the ring did not meet there standards and had to be sent back' are you saying that Kay claims to not have done anything to the ring at all? Do you mean sent back to the original jeweler, or sent back to you with no work having been done?

Your first move should be to take it back to Kay and tell them what you told us. It's possible that they'll say they can't help you due to the time that's passed. But still, that should be your first move.

If it's insured (hopefully!) then you should file a claim, if Kay won't help you.

I don't know that you have any other options...
Kays doesn't do the work right there in their store - they send the rings out and inspect them when they come back to the store before they call the customer to pick it up (I learned this pre-PS, lol!)

I agree with Musey - take the ring back to Kays and tell them what you told us. Normally they inspect the ring when you first bring it in and they have you sign a form as to it's condition (size, inclusions, value etc) and then you sign the same form acknowledging it's in the same condition as when you dropped it off. If she picked up the ring and signed the form without checking it out thoroughly, you might me SOL, unfortunately. Hopefully Kays will do the right thing!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Do you have any insurance on this stone? Had an appraisal done in the past? Anything to prove that this is perhaps not the same stone? Or that they damamged the stone?

If not, I don''t know that there is anything you can do. I''m sorry.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
If your diamond is certifed you should have a map of the stone indicating where the "flaws" of the diamond are...if your certificate doesn''t match the stone now in your ring, then it''s best you contact Kay as well as speak with a lawyer as soon as possible.

However, on a side note, I don''t think Kay would be swaping stones...opinion of quality aside, they are a very large chain store, and it seems to me that if they were making habit of less-than-honest practices, they would have a lot to lose. Now, I''m not saying that it didn''t happen...just considering what Kay would have to gain from swapping your 1ct for a clarity enhanced 1ct...is that really worth the risk for them? Probably not. Again, just my hunch.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results