shape
carat
color
clarity

Has your spending changed since the pandemic?

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
We were shocked to see our spending decline by about 70%. It’s a little horrifying to realize how much money we put towards travel and dining out (still love it).

At first we were just tucking that money away in case we needed a chunk of cash for any reason (uncertain times and all).

Now we are spending a bit on things that we have either been putting off like a bathroom reno (done by me) and a new dining room set. We also improved our outdoor space and bought some new chef knives (since we seldom eat out now).

We’re still under our usual spending.

How had your spending changed?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only inasmuch as we’ve had 4 holidays cancelled and refunded. Otherwise we’ve spent the same amount on food and general spends as we usually do.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
We don't travel much as I work very long hours, or eat out because The Grinch prefers home-cooked meals. I've bought a few bits of bling since January, but they're all sub $1k. I think I haven't changed much in terms of spending and saving. Congrats on the renovations! Lucky you! The Grinch is stingy and it takes a LOT to convince him to update things....that's been compounded by the pandemic. :roll:

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
We spend so much now on groceries since we don't eat out, and only do take out maybe twice a week. Also spend a ton for house supplies and what nots on Amazon.com since we don't feel comfortable going out to stores unless necessary. No other major purchases except a few months ago we decided to buy an extra fridge/freezer and put it in the basement for overflow supplies in light of the food shortage fears back then.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes we were shocked to see at least 3-4 k less per month going out even compared to a flat normal month where we didnt travel or buy anything really. We also cancelled two trips to australia and the UK -- never sure how much that costs as they're supposed to be reimbursed by work but we usually take our daughter and a baby sitter along (often grandparent) on our own dime so these trips can be very expensive nonetheless. Our grocery spending went through the roof as we became very picky about what countries the food was imported from and even began to eat a bunch of organic and farm fresh produce as a result. But I'd be surprised If we havent saved 15 k (maybe 11 k usd) more than usual in the last 3 months.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yes we were shocked to see at least 3-4 k less per month going out even compared to a flat normal month where we didnt travel or buy anything really. We also cancelled two trips to australia and the UK -- never sure how much that costs as they're supposed to be reimbursed by work but we usually take our daughter and a baby sitter along (often grandparent) on our own dime so these trips can be very expensive nonetheless. Our grocery spending went through the roof as we became very picky about what countries the food was imported from and even began to eat a bunch of organic and farm fresh produce as a result. But I'd be surprised If we havent saved 15 k (maybe 11 k usd) more than usual in the last 3 months.

Our grocery bill did go up quite a bit. We always tried to purchase from local farms as much as possible, but their prices are higher than usual.

Gas is way way way down without a commute so that balances things out.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Our grocery bill did go up quite a bit. We always tried to purchase from local farms as much as possible, but their prices are higher than usual.

Gas is way way way down without a commute so that balances things out.

Yes we had a massive hike in grocery costs, I think cut supply lines were partially to blame (we got cut off from the countries we usually import food from and it became very hard/expensive to get fresh fruits etc). Along with the fact that we are super picky as we have a 2 yr old (if you've ever tried to feed one theyll reject food for the oldest reasons, like it's not perfectly round or the berry is slightly too ripe). So we just paid a lot of money to the point where I rolled my eyes at paying $20 for yoghurt -- something I'd never have done before.

But we used to spend a lot of money catching taxis to and from work every day. (Cars are stupidly expensive here cheaper to taxi everywhere. But that ain't so cheap either!) And a lot eating 1-2 meals out of the house every day. So our costs dropped dramatically anyway...

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huge grocery bill hike here.

Lockdown had everyone buying everything so we had to pay full price for the things we normally bought at half price.

Then after lockdown I always bought a few extra items that were discounted.... Just in case!

We had no money left for holidays anyway after we bought a new house.

Spending has reduced but that's because of the new house not so much Covid.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes we are spending more on groceries and supplies (at least 10% over our normal budget) and I bought another Pilates Reformer plus other exercise accessories (weights, kettlebells) and might purchase another piece of equipment too. It is adding up.

Things are more expensive due to being harder to get because of the pandemic and I am not bargain shopping now either. I get what we need at the price it is and that is that.

We have also donated more to charities in the past few months due to what is happening in this country and causes that are near to my heart.
That allows me to sleep at night. Doing what we can for those in need. Human and animal causes.

I figure it's OK. We are stimulating the economy (spending more) and doing what we need to do for us as well. Win win.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely higher grocery bills. I’ve been trying my hand at Thai cooking, sushi, breads, French pastry, Chinese food, pho, everything. What I’ve realized is that there is no takeout item I can’t make myself BUT it does require a lot of ordering and gathering for spices and sauces. That’s been my most expensive vice during quarantine.

I’m usually very bad at painting rooms so I always hire painters, but with having people here not being an option I’ve done two rooms. Took my time and invested in a ladder so I could edge the ceiling properly. Ive invested in some decor as well to make my home a prettier place to exist.

I made major car repairs I’ve been putting off just in case the fall/winter ends up being crazy.

Lastly I bought a new washing machine. The one my adult self has been dreaming about. THAT has been a life saver.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really, except for going to the pub(s) less.

What I saved on not going out to the pub that I frequent, I spent on getting beers and ciders delivered from it instead, and shall continue to do so until it can re-open.

It can't re-open yet as it is too small indoors to practice social distancing even at 1m, and they do not have any outdoor seating. :((

DK :))

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seem to be spending more....more groceries, ordering food out, we are remolding our kitchen (hubby doing the work) and I bought a newer SUV I need to slow my spending down, lol

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just went thru our budget and we are $11,000 ahead for the year because we are not spending much at all.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep - we have been spending around £2.5k per month less than usual.

Mr.T has just skimmed it into our savings account this weekend. We are wanting to move to a bigger house with more land in around 4 years, once both girls are settled into High School ok (one goes up in Sept & one in 2 years) so it's been added to House Purchase Pot.

And actually, we don't feel like anybody has missed out on anything at all? My salary pays for all our holidays (this summer has been pushed to next summer, but I have booked a week at a Tree House on the Scottish Borders that we've been to before, for Aug) so that goes into a separate bank. Everybody is happy, healthy & well. It just goes to show how we can fritter away money on walking round to the pub, date nights, throwing away food we haven't used & ordering takeaway instead, train tickets, coffee & clothes we clearly don't need. We have shopped sensibly during this time & our grocery bill is higher than before, but by planning & cooking & using everything up, it has obviously saved money in the long run.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m spite of spending considerably less on things like dining, clothes, haircuts, summer camps etc, We’ve been spending more because of remodeling and renovating. We are employing our 18 and 19 year old children to help out with the remodeling and care of their 2 younger siblings during their summer break. I’m grateful that we are able to stay focused and keep everyone busy.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went on a huge pearl binge which was expensive, bought some pricey pandemic stuff (chest freezer, disaster supplies), redecorated one room in the house, and then I buckled down. I probably didn't need any of the above but found a way to justify every expense. This was definitely emotional spending. And I did it very differently this time. I put it all on credit so not to touch my savings account in case we needed the money. Now I have paid it off and am trying not to do this type of thing again.

I have the itch (again) to buy a 3 carat OEC. This itch comes and goes. So.........I am putting my expendable income into the savings account and when I can pay it in cash I will decide if I still want it anymore.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Spending has not changed, although expenses have increased. Groceries cost more now plus I buy when available regardless of price. I also tip much more when getting food to go.

Cristallo

Shiny_Rock
I spend much less on luxury items such as jewelry, designer bags and high quality shoes. Don’t have any interest any longer.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We’ve done some house and yard repairs we’ve been putting off. I think we end up saving money on buying more food vs. eating out. I’ve also bought a few pieces of modest bling. We also had a decent sized tax bill and paid two installments of estimated tax so it’s been an expensive few months! I know I can’t blame taxes on COVID-19 though, lol. But with regular spending only, I think it’s down for us since all of this started.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Spending more. But all on house stuff where the money was going to eventually be spent anyway. I also started eating healthier, eating more appropriate portions (so smaller), and have been eating out less. But eating healthy is expensive so no savings there either... I’m jealous of people saving money during this time.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just went thru our budget and we are $11,000 ahead for the year because we are not spending much at all.
AB, can you please loan me the $11K? ... :))

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like many - Spending a ton more on groceries (because everything is being delivered right now other than the occasional curb-side pickup for takeout). This is offset by savings on transportation (gas, parking, train pass) and going out to eat.

Other purchases are neutral as I have made an effort to support many of the small/independent businesses that I had relationships with before this started.

I have saved about $10K because all my travel plans for this year are cancelled. After many years of taking turns caring for my dad (who passed away late last year), this was the year my mom and I had plans to travel together. Fortunately, we got everything that had been booked, refunded in full...with the exception of the travel insurance for which we got a credit. At 85, I only hope that my mom is still in good enough health to replan when this all passes. My 401K losses more than offset any savings after the comeback...but 1st world problems - I know how fortunate I am that I can work from home and not worrying about day-to-day expenses.

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was able to save thousands on: European vacation, DD’s graduation and party, entertainment money, gas,—all the fun stuff in my life! Ugh. Spending all my time at home has compelled me to spend a lot of those savings on cosmetic upgrades for my home. My other basic needs remain the same.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Slightly more on groceries as we are having them delivered and costs are higher, plus we are tipping generously to hopefully help those who are still working.
Slightly less on gas since we are not driving very much.
Dining out--we don't eat out normally so this is probably about the same . Doing some delivery meals to help our local restaurants.

We are donating more $ and committed to giving any stimulus money to local food pantries. We have sent adult kids several surprise Venmo gifts---just because we can.

The major spending change is travel. We normally travel about 10-12 weeks per year, mostly internationally. We have cancelled a TransPacific cruise, time in Hawaii visiting oldest kid, trip to Australia for a wedding, plus a couple Caribbean trips.
So in that sense, our spending is down a huge amount. We won't use this money to buy bling or cars or anything else.
Being older---we have adjusted our thinking and will be more 'spendy' when we can travel again. More likely to pop for first class flights and more luxurious digs. Because we now know that the future is uncertain and we may as well live it up in our remaining time.
Younger folks will have a different viewpoint, obviously.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results