shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone done their own landscaping?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
We need to redo our siding a bit sooner than expected and will do it sometime this spring or summer (waiting on some windows to be done first). While I’m not thrilled to shell out that amount of money, I am looking forward to getting around to landscaping!

I’m curious if anyone went DIY. Or partial DIY (hire someone to design but then do all the work themselves). I’m still eradicating blackberries so I’m only focusing on the house area for now.

I was also curious if there’s a good PS type landscape forum. I found one but it’s not the same amount of helpful.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We always have, My Mom too. She's very DIY and I've learned from her. She even does all of her opening/maintenance/closing on an inground pool!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep we do it all. But have not tackled any form of hardscape or tree removal. Just designed, planted, pruned, removed hedges, dug big roots out, weeded, watered, mulched, fertilized and mowed. All organic. Love my flowers, herbs and veggies. But tbh, it is not pretty especially considering the time, effort and sacrifice we put into it year after year. If you can afford it, professionally designed and tended yards are spectacular. Plus they know a lot about drainage issues and plant tolerance to sun, water, temperature and fauna. You can learn this stuff too. PS has a lot of amazing gardeners ..search the forum for the beautiful pictures that show PS’ers that have the knack. If you want to do it then do so. It is rewarding. But if you have other things you want to devote your time to, then go simple and hire professionals. Good luck.

HGar

Shiny_Rock
Yep we have done all our landscaping. We have nearly an acre and DH has done everything other then the major construction.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did ours front and back, the design that is. We had some workman who did retaining walls, watering system and outdoor lights but other than that Hubby with my help, we planted everything.
One thing to do is drive around your neighbourhood and see what plants and trees others have used and what is still alive and you like the look of.
always check expected height and width and growing rate of any plants or trees you’re considering. You don’t want to be waiting 10 years for it to reach a decent mature size or realising that the mature size will be gigantic.
Anything that needs regular pruning can be a pain, likewise you might want something that doesn’t (or does) lose leaves in winter.
Think in layers and shapes. In a long garden bed you might do three heights. One up against the fence that grows highest, next row medium sized and front row perhaps annuals / flowering types. You might choose a centre “focus” tree and place circular “levels” round it. Think of it like ring design except with plants!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. It takes planning but you can get everything just as you want it if you take the time and love what you are doing. For example, when I lived in a suburb that had smaller lots I craved nature. I put in Koi ponds (underground filtration, UV lights, settling ponds, double waterfalls, the works) and indigenous plants to bring nature to me. I was quoted $30k to create my Koi ponds, I did it myself for 6k.

Now that I live on an acre next to a park I can't do these things because I have so much wildlife, I would need to work to keep them out. But landscaping is still fun. Deer hardy plants and shrubs, plants for pollinators, herb gardens and vegetable gardens for us and for the critters.

I like the Gardenweb forums. I should say I like it, but much less than before it changed. And since it changed it has far less traffic. I can still find great information there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results