shape
carat
color
clarity

Groupon - any good?

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Is Groupon any good?

I was going to sign up but I'm afraid of getting tons of junk mail (spam).

I signed up with E-bates once and after that have been getting all kinds of spam.

Thanks,
Sonoma

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely! There are some great deals, so good they can sell out fast. I once read that sometimes the companies don't profit much but they can get more customers. Yesterday, there was an Old Navy $20 gift certificate for $10. It was sold out by the time I tried to purchase a few.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I'm as junk mail averse as they come, but I love Groupon! There are some really great deals there, although I think it can get super addictive :razz: Claritek and I got a great one for skiing a couple months ago when I was visiting the Bay Area, and there are always great ones for decorating, or restaurants, or things like yoga or fitness, or other activities. I say do it!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
I love me some Groupons!
I don't get spam at all from being signed up, and have gotten killer deals. Bought one from a furniture store....$25 for a $100 Groupon. Another from a mattress store...$50 for a $200 Groupon! And I haven't paid full price for a massage, haircut, or oil change since buying them. Love it.

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
I use both Groupon and Ebates! You can even use Groupon through Ebates! :lol: Although I haven't had any problem with spam, probably because of Gmail's great filtering.

Groupon and Livingsocial are two excellent sites for saving money; additionally, Livingsocial does these "escapes" that are half-off or more vacations! As a matter of fact, the vacation where my fiance proposed was purchased on livingsocial. :praise:

Can you tell I love these websites?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have gotten some great deals. I'm a fan.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I got 20 yoga classes for $20! I'm a huge fan. Plus half off at restaurants I love, and a massage and a wax for super cheap. Love love LOVE Groupon and LivingSocial!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Ah I forgot. Of all the random things on Groupon but so apropos for PS (or at least for the Brides subsection) - if you look at the San Jose Groupon, there's one for boudoir pics :lol:

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
I also use Groupon through Ebates. Like Charbie, I've never paid full price for massages, microdermabrasion, waxing, eyelash extensions, even laser hair removal! In fact, two years ago I started getting laser hair removal for $150 PER SESSION. Since discovering Groupon, I've bought 2 separate Groupons for six sessions for $99. I love it!

DH always buys us the restaurant and movie ones for date nights, oil changes and car washes. Plus he loves the home and garden ones (we've gotten carpet cleaning, outside window cleaning, etc.)

We also start searching for stuff a few months before if we know we are going to be visiting another town. When we went to San Francisco a few months ago, we got tickets to a museum for less than half price and we also bought one for In-N-Out Burger and another that was $50 for $100 gift certificate to Nordstrom.

I highly recommend it.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto everyone-I love it!

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! We mostly use it to get restaurant coupons. It's nice to get the discount and try new places. We don't eat out that much (we used to though) so it's a treat to go out to dinner together. And it's even better when the bill is only a couple dollars after the groupon is applied.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I recently signed up and I think it's worth it. You should pick and choose your deals though - i.e. something you were planning on buying or a quality restaurant. I got an art.com which was great savings for me, but the restaurant Groupon not so much (they didn't let me use ita against the lunch special menu so ended up having to pay full price).

Ebates on the other hand annoys me, lots of spam and headaches trying to get even the simplest credits.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine turned me on to Groupon last year. And to be honest with you, I still get the daily emails, but I never take advantage of it anymore because I had a bad experience the first (only) time I participated. It was for an outside festival with live music and food/drinks and it happened to be on my birthday. I think it was like 3 free drinks and a sandwich or something. So....DH and I go. And it's a freakin' MADHOUSE! There were so many people there, with their Groupon tickets. The line for the drinks and the the food was SO LONG that it would have taken over 2 hours just to get anything, and since it was my birthday, I didn't want to deal with all of that. It was seriously insanely packed full of people. We ended up forfeiting the $40 we spent on the Groupon and went to dinner at a restaurant down the street, which wasn't exactly my ideal birthday dinner. So, yea...I get 'em but I'm very skeptical about actually taking advantage of them again.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
"Ebates on the other hand annoys me, lots of spam and headaches trying to get even the simplest credits. "

Yes, that is what I found too Janine. I never got spam like I have now till I signed up with e-bates. And those darn "click here to remove your name" things at the bottom never work. In fact, I think that gets you more spam !

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I use both Groupon and LivingSocial. You get daily emails from them both (but you can probably turn them off if you want to), and the deals are really quite good.

If you live in or near a major city, you should also check out ScoutMob. You can get 50% off at restaurants without having to buy a coupon in advance. You can just pull up the app on your phone right there at the restaurant. Of course you'd need a smartphone for that, in case you don't have one. I downloaded the app today after hearing about it on the news, but I haven't tried it yet. The city choices are very limited, which is the biggest caveat.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I use groupon and livingsocial as well and got some really amazing deals~ :bigsmile:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes its great, LivingSocial and Groupon are the way to go! I've gotten some really great deals using them both, not just for restaurants either. (saved a bundle on my new prescription sunglasses!)

I also joined RueLaLa.

I get an email a day, nothing more than that. If I don't want the deal I just delete the email.

-A

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results