shape
carat
color
clarity

Groom''s Wedding Band Advice - PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamond Inquisitor

Rough_Rock
So, I'm needing some advice on valuing/buying a wedding band. Here's the background story:

My good friend (a young diamond dealer, who got me a GREAT deal on my fiance's engagement ring) brought me to repuitable retailer where he said I could a good deal on a wedding band for myself (the retailer is one of his customers, so they do "favors" for each other from time to time). I went there with the intension of buying a plain 5mm platinum comfort fit band, and thus did some research online prior... prices listed online were anywhere from $488-$2,000, with the average price being right at $750. Now, the retailers version (nonbranded) had a retail price of $2,300, but he was willing to sell it to me for $850. White gold in the same ring would cost $200 at my "as a favor" price.

My questions for this very knowledgable and trustworthy forum are....

... Am I REALLY getting a good deal buying from the retailer? I know there can be a big difference in types of white gold which can effect the price, but how about platinum? Are the rings I'm seeing for sale online good quality, or is it a "you get what you pay for" situation?

Please help... Thanks!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
The white gold price sounds reasonable. (Got ours at a "favor" discount) Platinum ring might be as well.

My wife''s e-ring was made out of platinum. Got it at a regular retail store. Judging by the size differences btw her setting and my wedding band, $850 sounds like a pretty good deal.

Diamond Inquisitor

Rough_Rock
Thanks codex. Any thoughts on these online sites selling platinum for much less than that? There''s one site selling the same platinum ring for just under $500!!! I know I''m only talking about a savings of $350, but every penny counts as to help stay in our wedding budget.

Thanks again!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Err, I don''t remember how much my ring would have been had it been platinum. I know there are grades of platinum, but I don''t recall them being as dramatic a difference as say 10K vs 14K vs 18K vs 24K in gold. There''s also platinum plated. I''ve seen platinum plated on some cheapy rings (pretty rare tho).

My wedding band is white gold and I think it was $300. I think it''s more than 5mm, but still, I thought that was a fairly hefty price. I imagine my ring in platinum would be much more expensive. I''m just not sure how big it is cuz I don''t have a ruler handy. Plus, it has some hand working in its design. He has sold me a plain yellow gold band in a smaller size for $50 so how much material is in the ring can make a big difference in the price.

Unless we can see the ring in question, it may be hard to give you a price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results