shape
carat
color
clarity

"Grandma" Titles??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ams0124

Brilliant_Rock
So my little sis is expecting a baby in October!!
36.gif
When the little one arrives it will make my mom a grandma for the first time! She''s really excited but doesn''t think she wants to be called "grandma".

She just turned 50, and is very much a chic, active, successful, career lady who doesn''t fit the traditional "grandma" title...We''ve been trying to think of some alternatives but we''re having a hard time coming up with anything...

Can anyone help? What are some of the things you call your grandmothers?

Any suggestions would be great!!
9.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I called both of my grandmother''s "Memere", so I can''t be of much help. It''s the french equivalent of "Grandmother''.

How about Nana?

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
my mom is called "naano" by all her grandkids.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
My oldest sister became a grandma last year and didn''t ''feel'' like a "Grandma" type either, so she goes by "Grammie" - which is kinda cute I guess.
2.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I called mine grandma/grandpa. My husband calls his grandma, grandma in French however it is pronounced/spelled
emembarrassed.gif
. My daughter calls MIL Nana & grandpa is just grandpa. my other relatives use Mema for grandma.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
My mom felt the exact same way when I found out I was preggo....now that my daughter is 15 months old she''s over it. She loves hearing DD say "grandma."

What about mimi?

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I knew a lady in your mom''s position! Her grandkids call her Gamma. My aunt is a step-grandma, she''s called Nan. I like Mimi, it''s cute.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
One time I asked my DH what we would have our kids call his stepmom, and DH responded that my FIL called one set of grandparents "Mee-maw and Wa-Pop" so that's what we plan to call FIL and SMIL- but I'm guessing that doesn't help you! It's kinda over the top in terms of country/cutesy.

My MIL is very no fuss and will probably be "Grandma" - so again, that doesn't help much.

And I have no idea what my parents will be...my mom is Mami to me (Spanish), but Abuelita (the affectionate term for Grandma) doesn't really seem right.

Several of my friends call their grandma "Nana."

Italian would be Nona (right? I'm trying to remember my Tommie DePaola books!) which I think is really pretty.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I referred to my mom as my kitty''s grandma and she freaked out and said that she wasn''t ready to be a grandma yet. She said the kitties could call her Nana.
3.gif

A friend of mine calls her Grandmother Non. She could also always go for grandmere, ala Eleanor Roosevelt.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 12:27:53 PM
Author: ladypirate
I referred to my mom as my kitty''s grandma and she freaked out and said that she wasn''t ready to be a grandma yet. She said the kitties could call her Nana.
3.gif

A friend of mine calls her Grandmother Non. She could also always go for grandmere, ala Eleanor Roosevelt.
Hehe... I do that too. She embraces it.
9.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
You can try to "name" grandma all you want, but you know the baby''s gonna come up with the REAL name, right??

Our son has a Nana and a Grammie. We were going for "Nana" and "Grandma." Also, his grandpas became Papa and Pa. We were going for "Papa" and "Grandpa."

Goldie Hawn went by Glam-ma.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
About a year or so into my relationship with BF, his mom casually mentioned that she wants to be "Cookie" to her grandkids. So I guess that''s one out of the way! I''ve also heard "MiMi" and "Memaw" around here, but I''m in the South.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
When my son was a toddler he wanted to call her Grammie, but it came out Glammie. It stuck till he was older.
1.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
My two little grandsons call me Nana. They call the other set of grandparents grandma and grandpa, so I wanted to be different.
9.gif

Of course, my youngest grandson sometimes has to call me nana banana, he thinks that is hilarious.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 12:37:58 PM
Author: somethingshiny
You can try to ''name'' grandma all you want, but you know the baby''s gonna come up with the REAL name, right??

Our son has a Nana and a Grammie. We were going for ''Nana'' and ''Grandma.'' Also, his grandpas became Papa and Pa. We were going for ''Papa'' and ''Grandpa.''

Goldie Hawn went by Glam-ma.
Yup, I agree with the bolded part! My mother was fine with being called "grandma" but my daughter decided to call her "mee-mom". Not really sure how to spell it but that''s how it sounds! My father was fine with "grandpa" but she calls him "baba". No idea where it came from! My MIL is known to her other grandchildren as "nonni", a diminutive version of the Italian word for grandmother: "nonna". So that one stuck but I think it''s really cute when the kids come up with their own names for their grandparents.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
As much as you try to name your "grandma," the little one will probably make something up! When my cousin was born, my grandma became Gaga, and that has stuck and that is now what we all call her!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We already came up with a name for my mom for our future children:
Sugah Mama
She''s just not the "grandma" or "bubbe" type.

Her mom felt too young to be "Grandma" when I was born, so we called her Helga, which was her first name. That worked, too, although I thought "Helga" meant "Grandma" in German for much of my childhood. Ha!

My mom called her grandparents "Omi" and "Opi" which must have been a version of the German words for "Grandma" and "Grandpa."

ams0124

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone!! There are some names that I''ve never heard before...interesting!

I agree with the fact that the baby will probably come up with something on his/her own...My mom thinks that if she says her grandma name enough that the baby will just say it one day perfectly and from that day forward it''ll just stick...haha...you would think she''s never had kids
3.gif

I told her to just wait and see what happens....I think it''s more of something she can say when someone says "So your a grandma now"...I think she''s looking for the "hip" version of grandma....to which I think there is none
9.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
When my sister''s eldest son began to talk he learned pop-pop for grandfather and then just assumed mom-mom is for the grandmother and it stuck! All our kids called their grandparents pop-pop Don or mom-mom Stacey, etc.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Haven, I forgot about Omi and Opa! Sometimes I''ll have students who will refer to their grandparents by those names.

I think I''ve heard Mamou for French, too.

A friend of mine is Greek, and her gma is Yiayia

My mom called her grandmother "Mommy Malone" - I''ve always wondered if it was an Irish American thing or just randomly what the entire family called her (she was pretty matriarchal from what I understand).

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
My grandmothers were Nana and Omi, and my DH''s grandmother is Meemaw. Our moms have asked to be called Nanny and Grammy, although it remains to see if George will rename them. I know a "Gogo" who chose that because she feels to young to be a "grandma".

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I think GiGi is a cute grandma name... not sure how you really spell it but its pronounced just like 2 "G"s. Memere sounds nice too!

ams0124

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 3:17:33 PM
Author: oobiecoo
I think GiGi is a cute grandma name... not sure how you really spell it but its pronounced just like 2 ''G''s. Memere sounds nice too!
FSIL''s kids call their great-grand parents "Gigi-ma" and "Gigi-Pa"...I thought it was so cute when I first head them say it!!

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
I have always called my grandmother "Grandma" so I can''t be of much help there.

But some of my friends call their grandmothers "MiMa" pronounced like Mee Mah. I think that''s pretty chic for a granny!

April20

Ideal_Rock
My mom got her first grandbabies last year and loathes being called Grandma. She wanted to be called "Marmie", which I''m pretty sure she pulled from Little Women. My nieces aren''t talking yet, so we''ll see if the name sticks. My step-dad requested to be called "Peeps". I have NO idea where that came from. He even has it monogrammed on a jacket, so I''m thinking he really, really wants to be called that.

Our grandmother wanted to be called "Grandy". When my cousin started talking, she called her "Nanny" and that stuck. She''s been "Nanny" for the last 32 years. She''s at peace with it though, she introduces herself to all of our friends as "Nanny" and has for years.
9.gif
The great-grandkids call her "Gan" for great-nanny.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My kids call one of my Grammas, Mimi. London called my dad Papa for a while, but now they''re both Grampa and Gramma. Trapper calls my mom Bubba and my dad Bompa. My friends kids call her mom Monie. We have a Gramma named Gramma with the kitties. We had 4 grammas, so mom couldn''t just say "We''re going to Gramma''s house" haha. We still call her Gramma with the kitties, even tho she''s not had kitties for 20 years. My mom''s dad, who died when I was 2, I called Silly Papa. I have a young cousin who called her grampa, Bopper. Sometimes kids come up w/things on their own..if your mom finds a name she likes, and refers to herself that way to her new grandbaby, that might stick.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My mother''s parents: Granny and Grandpa.
My father''s mother : Joan (she didn''t like anything other than her first name)

DH''s mother''s parents: Gran and Grandad
DH''s father''s mother: Henny (short for Henrietta - again didn''t like anything other than her first name)

My sister''s kids call my parents Granny and Grandpa.

My cousin''s kids call her mother Granny Bear which I rather like...

No idea what our daughter will call her grandparents....

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 3:25:41 PM
Author: ams0124

Date: 5/7/2009 3:17:33 PM
Author: oobiecoo
I think GiGi is a cute grandma name... not sure how you really spell it but its pronounced just like 2 ''G''s. Memere sounds nice too!
FSIL''s kids call their great-grand parents ''Gigi-ma'' and ''Gigi-Pa''...I thought it was so cute when I first head them say it!!
My great grandparents were Baba and Gigi. It''s Russian (I think) for grandmother and grandfather.

BF''s grandparents were/are "Grandfather" and "Grammie." BF is a little bitter that "Grandfather" became "Grampie" for his younger cousins. BF has a speech impediment that was pretty bad when he was really young, and "Grandfather" was really hard for him to say. So when the younger kids got to say "Grampie" it annoyed him a little. But it was sweet, hearing him say, "Grandfather, can I help you with that?" His grandfather was 93 when he died, and it just suited him perfectly.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
We (my brother and I) call our grandparents Mom-mom and Pop-pop, as someone else mentioned.

I''ve also heard "Gram" for a grandmother, which is perhaps a bit more age-neutral than Grandma.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
maw maw and paw paw here. i think it''s a local/cultural thing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results