shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluoride in our water: Short video to watch

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Thankfully, our city council voted 10-3 in favor of removing it from our city water supply this year...

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a ton more fluroide in toothpaste than is ever found in water. I don't think it's an issue personally. Back in the day, in Canada we had to do fluoride rinses every day IN SCHOOL! I don't believe our parents were offered a choice either. It was elementary school and only lasted I think a couple of years. It was really icky. But, I didn't develop any of the purported side effects, and have always been over-generous with my toothpaste so I am just not feeling the toxicity scare on this one. I think we were told to give our infants fluoride drops too, in the late 80's and early 90's.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad that they are removing it for you guys. Could be like Houston though-95% of people voted to get rid of red light photo enforced cameras and they still kept them lol. So I guess not always does majority rule :rolleyes:

I wish Toronto would do it. They are talking about doing it to save on costs-I hope I do see that. Considering the states imports most of it from China (if you watch the video you see China refuses to use it in their water) and it comes from their industrial waste (the states also their own but don't have enough-which is why it's imported) :errrr:

It's just most people think it's good for you bc the dentist say so-and this guy isn't only a dentist but has a few other things going for him and his creditability as well and makes a lot of good points that I hadn't heard before.

Most people just don't care. But in areas where they do florinate the water they have 3x mental retardation then areas that don't as well as after your blood level gets about a certain amount your IQ drops 8 points and it's not reversible.

For those wondering where these facts came they tell you in the video as well as talk about where the studies are done, where you can find the info and sites to check them out on. I only know from what I've researched myself. Everyone needs to do their own fact checking and see for themselves. I just shared the video to show another side of things. They also discuss the "positive" research that has been done-which they say is mostly incomplete. So it addresses both sides of things.

Only 15 minutes and lots of good information :)

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra|1318537744|3039607 said:
There's a ton more fluroide in toothpaste than is ever found in water. I don't think it's an issue personally. Back in the day, in Canada we had to do fluoride rinses every day IN SCHOOL! I don't believe our parents were offered a choice either. It was elementary school and only lasted I think a couple of years. It was really icky. But, I didn't develop any of the purported side effects, and have always been over-generous with my toothpaste so I am just not feeling the toxicity scare on this one. I think we were told to give our infants fluoride drops too, in the late 80's and early 90's.

He addresses it in toothpaste in the first 3 minutes of the video. Did you watch it?

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I just like to have a choice, to use it/be subjected to it, or not.
We don't use our tap water for drinking or cooking and we have a filtration system for the rest of water we use and we use natural toothpaste.
I have never had a cavity, don't need scrapes, yet my dentist is always trying to talk me into things I dont need, like annual x-rays. I ask him if he sees something wrong that'd require those and he says no, he'd just like to be preventative, but to me, if its not broken why fix it and pay big $$$$ for the pleasure of it?
My boss just got a quote for $90,000 to fix his teeth, seems having good teeth isn't in your dentist's best interest..

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uh, the first five minutes are about ADD in rats and about using too much toothpaste. This is painful.

And that China won't allow Fl in their water, where they believe IQ is adversely affected. US IQ is higher than Chinese IQ.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know why, but the movie Dr. Strangelove keeps going through my mind...

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks like the science on fluoride is at least lacking in consensus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_fluoridation_controversy#Safety

Honestly? There are so many contaminants in American drinking water to worry about: arsenic, lead, copper, coliform, radiation... I've spent the last 5 months co-authoring a report on drinking water contaminants in the Midwest, and fluoride is definitely the least of my concerns.

I would prefer not to be drinking/showering in/inhaling steam from water containing illegally high levels of regulated contaminants, and I think that's a much more pressing issue.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fluoride in China's drinking water is the least of their problems. And it sounds like they do not add it because their water is already naturally (too) high in fluoride.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I tried to watch the video, but it seemed to me to be blatant fear mongering. Don't use fluoride if you feel it's a risk. I've been using it all my life and have no ill effects, nor do my adult children, nor anyone I know actually. Nothing is good in excess. Moderation seems to work for most everyday things.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results