shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

golfer

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I know this is a loaded question but I am STILL looking for a diamond (have one on hold... slight buyer's remorse that it is too big, so I'm looking around a little now).

My question: What are people's thoughts on fluorescence. I know Cut Nut likes a little. Before I was avoiding it but now I am looking for it. But how much is too much. I found a great-sounding 1.5 F that had medium blue. Too much for an F? Should I stick with faint in the 1.4-1.6 range, or is medium okay? Which is preferable for a D-G?

I was thinking:

1. Faint
2. None
3. Medium
4. Strong (bad)

If you're lower (H, I, J) obviously some more fluor is great.

What does everyone think?

golfer

Shiny_Rock
Some stuff I have read said it won't affect light return, color appearance (in colorless stones), etc. except if actually under a fluorescent light. True?

geo10000

Rough_Rock
As an appraiser I usually deduct anywhere from 2 to 7 % if the diamond shows strong to very strong fluorescence in D through F colors in the higher clarities, with the higher end being D/E colors in VVS-2/VVS-1 clarity with very strong fluorescence. Medium fluorescence is really a case by case basis. Hope this helps

George

golfer

Shiny_Rock
Geo: Well, if it is an F w/ med fluoro, would you say that you never would subtract more than 2%?

geo10000

Rough_Rock
At this point (given I have not seen the stone) I would say yes, that I would not go more than 2%. I rarely even go 2% off at an F color.

BigLou

Rough_Rock
The medium fluorescence in the colorless range a lot of times can be a bargaining chip sometimes. I do know that it can cut both ways. The medium fluorescence can be a good bargaining tool but if it detracts from the stone...you kind of even out in the end. It really doesn't matter the size of the stone only the color. In the G/H color range medium blue may not detract or add to the stone therefore you could save some money by purchasing the medium blue. In the D-F range, and this is just from what I've noticed, you are better of staying in the faint or none range. If in doubt always try to look at the stone in natural light (sunlight). Those floodlights at most Jewelers and Diamond sellers are so bright that everything looks great. A lot of this is just from my personal experiences but it may help. Good luck.

geo10000

Rough_Rock
A great point Lou...be sure to look at the diamond, if possible, in natural daylight as fluroescence can't hide.

George

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
IMHO, Bl. Fluor is a good buy in the G/H/I range. I personally think that buying in the DEF range is a waste of money as is buying a stone w/ IF, VVS clarity. Once set, you will see little difference in color & one does not wear a ring w/ a 10x power over it.

My vote weighing carat & quality would be:

a well cut H/I, med. blue, VS1 - SI1.

diamatuer

Rough_Rock
You seem to know the pros and cons of floro very well. At this point, you just have to take a look at these stones (outside if possible) and see :-o what you like.

I bought an H with med. blue to offset the color and that worked pretty well:praise:. But now I actually look forward to seeing my fiance's ring in daylight - the slight bluish/lavender is pretty cool.:sun:

sans

Rough_Rock
Note, be sure to ask what color the stone flouresces! Uncommon, but there is yellow flourescence, other colors, too, not something you'd probably want (unless you had a big ol' canary.)

The Hope Diamond flouresces red, something only blues do.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have a 1.62 G in stock with strong blue. It doesn't detract from the diamond at all. In sun light or a more regular lighting such as room light not one person would even know that it is strong. Pick up a loupe and in sun light you can detect a very slight hint of blue, but not with your naked eye.

I believe this is one area that most are very confused. Only the true overblues are a problem and they are rare to find. GIA has written several aritcles they have the very same sentiments.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results