shape
carat
color
clarity

Flaky scalp

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

I need some advice on how to deal with a flaky scalp. I've had a problem with it since childhood but it's gotten much worse lately, to the point where you can see the flakes right where my hair starts after my forehead. I've been told by my hairdresser that it's because I have oily hair and dandruff, so I use a dandruff shampoo for oily hair, but it really hasn't help.

Does anybody have any advice on this?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
See a dermatologist. There is a prescription mousse called olux which clears it up.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
You could try adding omega 3's to your diet...fish oil is a good one to try. Even though your scalp may be oily, you may still need omega 3 oil in your system to help lessen the dandruff.

Good luck!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Ara Ann|1298053609|2854818 said:
You could try adding omega 3's to your diet...fish oil is a good one to try. Even though your scalp may be oily, you may still need omega 3 oil in your system to help lessen the dandruff.

Good luck!

I didn't know that. Thanks for the suggestion!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I have an appointment with a dermatologist scheduled for the end of this month. In the meantime, does anybody have any other advice as things have been getting worse and worse. I tried a new shampoo (it says it's for flaky scalp) but it seems to make things worse. I tried adding omega 3 to my diet but I guess any effects will take a while to show. The best thing so far has been applying olive oil to my scalp, but I can't very well do that all the time; it makes my hair look oily and, frankly, yacky. Help! :errrr:

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used Nizoral for my son's cradle cap which was REALLy bad and it worked wonders. Maybe it'll work for you?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
puppmom|1299615173|2867585 said:
I used Nizoral for my son's cradle cap which was REALLy bad and it worked wonders. Maybe it'll work for you?

Thanks! I'll look it up. I hope it's available in the UK.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Puppmom, thanks for the suggestion. I got Nizoral today! How long after starting treatment did you notice a difference in your son's scalp?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to have a very oily/flaky scalp, and believe it or not, the strategy that worked for me was to use a good moisturizing shampoo. My hairdresser suggested it - the theory is that most shampoos for oily (or flaky) hair are very drying because they're designed to "fix" the problem quickly. They strip your scalp of oils it needs and your body responds by pumping out more oil, and you end up in a self-perpetuating cycle. Using a moisturizing shampoo might be a little uncomfortable at first, but eventually your body gets the message and quits delivering so much oil to the scalp. It worked for me!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1302158507|2889954 said:
I used to have a very oily/flaky scalp, and believe it or not, the strategy that worked for me was to use a good moisturizing shampoo. My hairdresser suggested it - the theory is that most shampoos for oily (or flaky) hair are very drying because they're designed to "fix" the problem quickly. They strip your scalp of oils it needs and your body responds by pumping out more oil, and you end up in a self-perpetuating cycle. Using a moisturizing shampoo might be a little uncomfortable at first, but eventually your body gets the message and quits delivering so much oil to the scalp. It worked for me!

What brand did you get?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I saw the dermatologist last week and she recommended I keep using Nizoral and also suggested I apply some other oil (don't remember the name right now) every night for a month. I have noticed a change, but I don't know if it'll last after I stop using the products.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mayerling|1302366697|2891999 said:
What brand did you get?
Mayerling - I don't recall - I probably went to a beauty supply-type place and got something like redken or sebastian.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Just started having this in a drastic way for the first time ever, within the first few weeks of becoming pregnant I was so exhausted I thought maybe I just wasn't washing my hair well at first, or just noticing on off days. Once I realized that was not the case, I started using Aveda's Scalp Balancing shampoo and conditioner and within just a few days I am flake free! I like that it allowed me to avoid extra chemicals. Both the conditioner and shampoo are meant to be rubbed into the scalp, there is also a special oil for the scalp but I haven't needed to use it.

Good luck!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Oh..I think I know exactly what you are talking about. It's not regular dandruff. I can wash my scalp/hair and while drying loose skin will just fluff up. And it's not small flakes, it big ones.

I have pretty good control by using WEN conditioning shampoo and alternating it with Neem shampoo that I purchased from a health food store. When it flares up, I apply extra virgin olive oil and massage my scalp, leave it on over night. I don't have that much problem with it any more.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
It's been much better since I started Betnovate Scalp Application. It really helps!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results