shape
carat
color
clarity

FI''s facial hair, colors and other stuff...Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Just a few random questions I thought you guys could weigh-in on...

1) My FI''s current look (current as in the last few years) is a very trim/short beard...more like groomed stubble. He looks great like this and we both prefer this look over the clean shaven one.
However, we''re not sure what to do for the wedding day...we don''t want him to appear scruffy, but we also want him to look like himself. What have other guys done or are planning on doing?

2) Colors for an outdoor wedding:
We are getting married at a nice, fairly formal resort in northern canada--the ceremony will be outside admist pine trees, deep lakes, etc. in early July.
I am leaning toward espresso colored bridesmaid dresses and light coloured flowers, the groomsmen in black tuxes with ivory shirt/ties, and my dress is ivory as well...i am trying to use natural colors to compliment the outdoors...

But, does this sound too dark or too formal for an outdoor July wedding?

Thanks ladies

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
1) My only thought on this is that your tastes my change in the future and you might wish that you had some clean shaven pics on your wedding day. AT the same time, your taste on other things will probably change also, so there''s no way that yu will have the "perfect" photos in 20 years. There is a chance that some of your guests will wonder why he couldn''t shave for such a big day, but if they know you both well, then they might get it. This is a tough one. I''d probably encourage shaving, but you have to be comfortable with how he looks...

2) How warm will it be outside? I only worry about people getting hot in the summertime when wearing dark colors. But aside from that, I wouldn''t worry about it. The flowers will lighten everything up. My only other thought would be: What about using a medium brown instead of a dark brown?

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
thanks facet fire

My mom had the exact same advice about the shaving issue--she thinks he will regret it looking back on pics--i had the same response you suggested as well: we will probably regret (or just wonder about) some choices anyway.
FI has not fully shaven his face in at least 2 years, and when he did it was to see what we both thought about the clean shaven thing hehe, so I am not sure what we''ll decide....

As for a lighter brown, good suggestion...i''ll look into it (right now we are thinking about the jcrew espresso colored line of BM dresses simply b/c i like the style options available)

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a color combo that I love and think would look great for an outdoor wedding:

ETA, it is from Ann Taylor online and the color is called mocha...

hol06_cel_mix_image1_110606.jpg

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
Jas,

It''s tough to pictures what this "groomed stubble" looks like -- I can imagine a huge spectrum from scuzzy college boy who hasn''t shaved or showered in weeks
14.gif
to refined and sexy
31.gif

Any chance we could get a glimpse at at least hte bottom half of your fiance''s face? hard to give advice otherwise
9.gif

Aurelia

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Hubby was into full beard and long hair when we got married. He had literally ESCAPED from being under his Mom''s thumb/rules when he went off to Grad School.

Now with our grown kids looking back at pics of us from that time, our daughters especially, ask why Dad had "Farrah Fawcett" hair. And they are amazed that Dad used to actually have hair!!
9.gif

It''s a moment in time. Pics of how you are now. If you want to remember clean shaven for the big special day, then do that. If you and FI are comfortable with his current look, go that way.

30 years from now, you and your kids, and your kids'' sweeties will probably be laughing about lots of things in your wedding pics.
2.gif

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
1.) I understand the issue of regretting pictures in later years, but if your FI hasn''t shaved in 2 years, I would be more concerned with feeling like I was walking down the isle towards a stranger!
3.gif
Seriously, if that is how you know and love him, I think he should keep the facial hair. Perhaps he could try to trim it a little neater for the wedding though?

2.) I think that brown would be lovely for your setting, but perhaps since it is summer and outdoors, you could add a little pop of color to brighern it up? How about an aqua or pale green? And I like that lighter shade of brown that FacetFire posted. Perhaps that would keep the overall effect from looking too heavy?

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
good points fatafelice and finding neverland---i do want FI to look like himself--his ''stubble'' is really not messy looking, it is hard to explain, so we''ll play around with the length a bit
he is also quite fair (dirty blonde), so it is not like we''re talking about really promient black stubble or anything...

As for colors, I am planning to add very light shades of pink and cream and green berries in the bouquets, hopefully that will lighten it up a bit

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 10:58:05 AM
Author: Jas12
good points fatafelice and finding neverland---i do want FI to look like himself--his 'stubble' is really not messy looking, it is hard to explain, so we'll play around with the length a bit

he is also quite fair (dirty blonde), so it is not like we're talking about really promient black stubble or anything...

Have you ever seen any reruns of the Miami Vice TV series?

Don Johnson created quite a sensation with his groomed "3 Day Stubble" look. Shaver and hair cutter companies scrambled to produce cutters that would yield that look.

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/miami-vice-dj.htm

Scroll down the page a bit. There's a pic on the right of Don Johnson when he was into his groomed stubble look. There's also clean shaven pics to kinda give you an idea of how the 2 looks may come out in your wedding photos.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Paul has had a goatee from the day we met, and when we got engaged, his parents asked about him shaving it off prior to the wedding. I was crushed, since the boy I''ve loved from the beginning has had this goatee. He''s said all along that eventually some day, it will go away, because it comes and goes in phases. Anyway, we eventually decided that he''d keep it for the wedding, since when he usually decides to remove it, it''s the summer time and it bothers him because of the heat. There is nothing wrong with a goatee at a wedding. At all.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Finding Neverland--i love the miami vice reference! He laughed at that.... says that it is perfect length after 4 days (needs a bit longer i guess)..we have decided to shave his face fully again, then each day photograph it to see at what point he stops looking like he has a 5 o''clock shadow that he forgot the shave, and it starts looking intentional

Fisher, glad your DH decided to keep the goatee, esp. since that''s how you knew/know him best

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
I chopped off my pony tail (whichI only had because I hated getting my hair cut, rather than deliberate choice) for the wedding, but kept the beard (trimmed neatly). I don''t have the beard anymore and it''s nice to have some pictures of what I looked like back then.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My FI usually sports short stubble or completely shaved on his head... It works for him. But for our wedding we are going to do a few pic trials. His hair grows in so fast, its not exactly a big deal... so one pic with him in a dark suit with a shiny bald head... one with a stubbly head... and one with what hair he has left grown out. He says its my choice to pick which one I want.

I would do that... just take a couple of pics.. one scruffy, one clean... then imagine yourself in your wedding dress next to him. Which fits?

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
1 - He wears facial hair as well. He went with an everyday look as he looks better that way and we decided to be more concerned with his comfort rather than the fact that you can tell in the photos that he is slightly hairy (and therefore cut in my opinion!!).

2 - I think your colour scheme sounds quite nice together!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results