shape
carat
color
clarity

First Dance Songs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
What song did you pick for your first dance and why??? My FI and I are dancing to Sting''s "When We Dance." Sting was the first concert we ever went to and it was amazing! He got us tickets to see them perform at Jones Beach in the summer and it I remember that a thunderstorm had just passed through before the concert. So, since the venue is outside and on the beach, when Sting was performing, you could see lightening flickering amongst the clouds over the ocean - there was no thunder, just the lightening lighting up the dark, starry night. Magical!

radiantgirl

Shiny_Rock
We''re using a Sting song too, for our first dance. We chose "My One and Only Love." It''s not a well known song by him, but the lyrics are perfect since we are getting married in April. It has a somewhat jazzy blues feel to it, and it''s exactly what we wanted. Here are the lyrics:

The very thought of you makes
My heart sing
Like an April breeze
On the wings of spring
And you appear in all your splendour
My one and only love
The shadows fall
And spread their mystic charms
In the hush of night
While youre in my arms
I feel your lips so warm and tender
My one and only love
The touch of your hand is like heaven
A heaven that Ive never known
The blush on your cheek
Whenever I speak
Tells me that you are my own
You fill my eager heart with
Such desire
Every kiss you give
Sets my soul on fire
I give myself in sweet surrender
My one and only love
The blush on your cheek
Whenever I speak
Tells me that you are my own
You fill my eager heart with
Such desire
Every kiss you give
Sets my soul on fire
I give myself in sweet surrender
My one and only love
My one and only love

We have our first dance lesson today, so I''m really excited!

lovemybug

Rough_Rock
we danced to ''my destiny'' by jim brickman. it is a sweet song, but didn''t have any meaning for us before the wedding.... like blushingbride''s story about sting being special to her and her fiance because it was the first concert they went to.... looking back on it i kind of wish that we had put a little more thought into it.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Randomly, last night, FI says he wants our wedding song to be...wait for it...Perry Como..."The way you look tonight"!

PERRY!

COMO!

HAHAHa. My DAD would love it!! ;-) It is a nice song ~ but absolutley NO significance. I think we''ll keep thinking....
20.gif

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh - I love that song!
30.gif
Very good pick!

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
We chose "Making Memories of Us" by Keith Urban because we both loved the simple guitar melody; also because I turned DH on to country. One time DH told me that those lyrics are how he feels for me.

(going to listen to wedding song now- ah, sweet memories)

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Our is "Beat a Drum" off REM''s Reveal album. REM is the whole reason we met in the first place... he mentioned them in his Match.com profile and I''d never been out with anybody that liked REM as much as I did so I got excited and wrote him! He played the Reveal album almost every time we were in a car together for the first year or so and we both would sing along to that song in particular. Especially the chorus: "this is all I want, it''s all I need... This is all I am, it''s everything..." It just felt so TRUE!

I know that probably nobody at our reception will have ever heard it before, but it means so much to us, and the lyrics are so sweet and compelling... like the butterfly causing the tropical storm... we''re getting married because he mentioned REM on his profile.

Beat a Drum

The sun reflected in
The back of my eye.
I knocked my head against the sky.

The dragonflies are busy buzzing me.
A seahorse as if we were in the sea.

Half way from coal
Half way to diamond.
My fall knocked a mean chip out of me.
Gathering as far as I can reach.
Perched up on the precipice
And this is what Ive seen.

This is all I want,
It''s all I need.
This is all I am.
This is all I want,
It''s all I need.

A bluejay hectors from the felled catalpa tree.
Doctorate in science and the theologians dream.
The dragonflies are trying to lecture me.
A seahorse as if we were in the sea.

But this is all I want,
It''s all I need.
This is all I am,
It''s everything.
This is all I want,
It''s all I need.

Beat a drum for me
Like a butterfly wing.
Tropical storm across the ocean.

But don''t explain I''m sure I''ll want to know
But don''t forget were just halfway from coal.

This is all I want,
It''s all I need.
This is all I am,
It''s everything.
This is all I want,
It''s all I need.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Ours is "It Had to Be You." We had another song chosen, but it had a faster beat and we never got around to those dance lessons so we had to slow it down.

I love When Harry Met Sally, and we both love that it''s such a NY movie/song and the lyrics are meaningful, since we met in our late 20''s- after wandering around if you will.

I hate the fact that the song is now used for a cat food commercial!

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
By your side-sade

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
Not final yet, but my vote is Grow Old with You by Adam Sandler (in the Wedding Singer)

I love how it''s about the everyday things in life (i.e. "i''ll let you hold the remote control"
and it''s a tad humorous, which is very us...

Fi''s vote hasn''t come in yet, but I think I may have him sold, since the song I picked is VERY short and we don''t like the idea of people staring while we dance

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 1:32:03 PM
Author: mela lu
Randomly, last night, FI says he wants our wedding song to be...wait for it...Perry Como...''The way you look tonight''!

PERRY!

COMO!

HAHAHa. My DAD would love it!! ;-) It is a nice song ~ but absolutley NO significance. I think we''ll keep thinking....
20.gif
That is my FAVORITE SONG! Of course, I prefer Tony Bennett''s version, but still...love that song! Don''t roll your eyes just yet.
2.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Our song will be "Amazed". It was sung by various artists... And we''ll have a singer, so we''ll have a version of our own!
9.gif

FI always liked this song, and they played it at the bridal show''s fashion show. He was standing behing me and he took me in his arms and started singing it in my ear... I just about melted!
30.gif
So now it''s our song.

"Every time our eyes meet
This feeling inside me
Is almost more than I can take
Baby when you touch me
I can feel how much you love me
And it just blows me away
I''ve never been this close to anyone or anything
I can hear your thoughts
I can see your dreams
I don''t know how you do what you do
I''m so in love with you
It just keeps getting better
I wanna spend the rest of my life
With you by my side
Forever and ever
Every little thing that you do
Baby I''m amazed by you
The smell of your skin
The taste of your kiss
The way you whisper in the dark
Your hair all around me
Baby you surround me
You touch everyplace in my heart
Oh it feels like the first time every time
I wanna spent the whole night in your eyes
I''m so in love with you
It just keeps getting better
I wanna spend the rest of my life
With you by my side
Forever and ever
Oh, every little thing that you do
Baby I''m amazed by you"

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 8:21:48 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Randomly, last night, FI says he wants our wedding song to be...wait for it...Perry Como...''The way you look tonight''!

PERRY!

COMO!

20.gif
That is my FAVORITE SONG! Of course, I prefer Tony Bennett''s version, but still...love that song! Don''t roll your eyes just yet.
2.gif
I saw Tony Bennett when I was walking to work this morning- it was freezing out and he was cold!

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
Our first dance will be to Frank Sinatra w/ Celine Dion "All the Way"

When somebody loves you
It's no good unless he loves you - all the way
Happy to be near you
When you need someone to cheer you - all the way

Taller than the tallest tree is
That's how it's got to feel
Deeper than the deep blue sea is
That's how deep it goes - if its real

When somebody needs you
It's no good unless he needs you - all the way
Through the good or lean years
And for all the in between years - come what way

Who knows where the road will lead us
Only a fool would say
But if you'll let me love you
It's for sure I'm gonna love you - all the way, all the way

(and it all repeats several times)

FI is a huge Frank Sinatra fan and for our engagement party my Dad bought a Frank Sinatra Love Songs CD. FI wanted me to listen to this song with him, and we fell for it!
30.gif
So now it's our song! We'll be taking dance lessons in the upcoming months before the wedding.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
unchained melody is our song - think "Ghost" 1990 LOL But just thought I''d put this out here... one of my *favorite* songs that I heard for the father/daughter dance was stevie wonder, isn''t she lovely :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

PERRY!

COMO!

20.gif
I LOVE perry como!!! Of course I''m a huge Blast from the Past fan and I love when they''re in the car and he says "wait for it" and it changes key LOL!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/31/2007 11:43:29 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

PERRY!

COMO!

20.gif
I LOVE perry como!!! Of course I''m a huge Blast from the Past fan and I love when they''re in the car and he says ''wait for it'' and it changes key LOL!!
I love that song (The Way You Look Tonight)! I think it''s such a classic...I first heard it (i''m ashamed to admit) in that movie My Best Friend''s Wedding (Julie Roberts, Cameron Diaz, Dylan McDermot) and fell in love with it. It was a top contender for our first dance song but we were getting married in the afternoon and didn''t feel it was "the song."

Instead we chose "At Last" by Etta James...I know, one of those clicheed songs everyone seems to use, but we loved it and the style of the music was perfect as far as the rest of the music we had for our reception--lots of Sinatra, etc. Plus we had signed up for ballroom dance lessons, made it through 4 out of 12 lessons due to just losing interest, and we needed a song we didn''t have to work any fancy moves into, ha!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
"At last" by Etta James. I wanted something classic. I have always thought it was beautiful (always gives me shills) I thought after 5.5 years it was fitting
2.gif
Also knew it would work well with a waltz.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
As long as we can learn how to dance to it our first song will be Why Don''t You and I by Santana and sung by Chad Kroger. It has always been our song and I love it but I a a little worried about how we will dance to it. Hopefully a professional will be able to help us!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Hubby and I danced to "Come Away With Me" by Nora Jones.

It just, well, it worked...

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
we danced to billy joel''s "she''s got a way".
it had no significance before the wedding and was picked mostly because the shortest version is 2 minutes, 14 seconds.
9.gif

we didn''t want to be stared at for too long.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 12:06:24 AM
Author: monarch64

Date: 1/31/2007 11:43:29 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

PERRY!

COMO!

20.gif
I LOVE perry como!!! Of course I''m a huge Blast from the Past fan and I love when they''re in the car and he says ''wait for it'' and it changes key LOL!!
I love that song (The Way You Look Tonight)! I think it''s such a classic...I first heard it (i''m ashamed to admit) in that movie My Best Friend''s Wedding (Julie Roberts, Cameron Diaz, Dylan McDermot) and fell in love with it. It was a top contender for our first dance song but we were getting married in the afternoon and didn''t feel it was ''the song.''

Instead we chose ''At Last'' by Etta James...I know, one of those clicheed songs everyone seems to use, but we loved it and the style of the music was perfect as far as the rest of the music we had for our reception--lots of Sinatra, etc. Plus we had signed up for ballroom dance lessons, made it through 4 out of 12 lessons due to just losing interest, and we needed a song we didn''t have to work any fancy moves into, ha!
LOL Who knew Perry could cause such a ''stir'' with us
31.gif

Well, unless I can actually think of something else ~ Perry will win. FI is now OBSESSED with it ~ playing it loud off his laptop while we''re watching TV.

hahahah. My Dad will be suitably impressed. Stay tuned!

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
We are thinking of using DMB''s Steady as we Go (with the end edited out). But...we are still open to options.

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
We''ll be dancing to "They Say It''s Wonderful" by Irving Berlin, performed by John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman. It''s "our song."
1.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 1:01:04 PM
Author:blushingbride
What song did you pick for your first dance and why??? My FI and I are dancing to Sting''s ''When We Dance.'' Sting was the first concert we ever went to and it was amazing! He got us tickets to see them perform at Jones Beach in the summer and it I remember that a thunderstorm had just passed through before the concert. So, since the venue is outside and on the beach, when Sting was performing, you could see lightening flickering amongst the clouds over the ocean - there was no thunder, just the lightening lighting up the dark, starry night. Magical!

OMG, Blushingbride, I LOVE that song!!! And I LOVE Sting. I think he''s smokin'' HOT!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

Perfect song for your first dance.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
We used "Come Rain or Come Shine" by Billie Holiday. We both looooooove her, though lots of her songs are pretty sad. The lyrics to it are so perfect.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Dani - I agree, he''s a hottie in my book too! When a man can sing such passionate songs like he does...sigh...it''s such a turn on!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the Perry Como and the Etta James...love them!

We danced to Elvis, Can''t Help Falling in Love with You...I think it is a great song...

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I really really want Eta James'' "At Last". Her voice is so amazing and the words are so appropriate for us, too, as we''ll be getting married only 2 months shy of our 8th year anniversary :)

But I also kind of want somethign fun.......something upbeat like frank sinatra or van morrison. I wish I had brown eyes and we''d pick brown eyed girl lol.

all in all........we''re still working on the first dance song thing!

hmmm.........there is also the LAST dance to pick so maybe we''ll do both ha ha.

ocbride2007

Shiny_Rock
Lately we''ve been thinking "something changed" by pulp... we met (well, cyber-met) when he first im''d me almost 6 years ago after he saw I liked pulp on my yahoo profile. I lived in Albuquerque, he lived in Orange County. So we started chatting, hit it off, talked on the phone, then started taking trips, then a year later I moved to California. I transferred schools, reconsidered my career goals, and totally made over my life. If that moment wouldn''t have happened, I would be living in Albuquerque, wouldn''t be in law school, and I wouldn''t have ever tasted a fraction of the happiness I feel now!!

So, with that in mind, you can see how this song is a perfect choice:

I wrote the song two hours before we met. I didn''t know your name or
what you looked like yet. Oh I could have stayed at home and gone to
bed. I could have gone to see a film instead. You might have changed
your mind and seen your friends life could have been very different then
but something changed. Do you believe that there''s someone up above?
Does he have a timetable directing acts of love? Why did I write this
song on that day? Why did you touch my hand and softly say. Stop
asking questions that don''t matter anyway. Just give us a kiss to
celebrate here today something changed. When we woke up that
morning we had no way of knowing that in a matter of hours we''d
change the way we were going. Where would I be now if we''d never
met. Would I be singing this song to someone else instead I dunno but
like you said something changed

the music isn''t very traditional first dance or anything, but it''s slower, and is so perfect in every other way

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results