shape
carat
color
clarity

Eye issue - how fast do eyes heal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was working on my allotment today (basically a veggie garden for those non-UKers here) and in the process of doing some clearing a bramble crept up on me and I got in the eye good. My eye wept for a few minutes and now it has a dull ache. There''s a red spot on my eye on the edge of the coloured part, where it meets the white part.

Eyes gross me out. This is probably the closest I''ve ever looked at my eyes. I can''t stand them being touched or someone else touching theirs. God forbid someone put a contact lens in their eye when I''m the same room.

I assume eyes heal. How long will it take? Is there anything I can do to speed it up?

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I would go to an opthamologist and get it checked out. They''d probably prescribe antibiotic ointment. It''s no fun to apply, but even less fun is a real eye infection.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Whatever you do, don't use drops until you're instructed to by your dr. I broke a blood vessel in my eye in college (which looked like what you described), I went to the pharmacist and he told me to use eye drops. The red spot started floating and got larger. I called the nurse consult, and she said to stop the drops and leave it alone completely. After about two weeks it cleared up and was completely gone. My injury was caused by intense face strain (I broke the vessel when I was sick, throwing up - quite gross, really), so I would still go get yours checked out for sure just in case you got a bramble, puncture or some time of oil in there - just don't use drops quite yet as they have the potential to inflame.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys!!

I so don''t want to go to the eye doctor, I''m such a baby with eyes. I''ll make a deal with myself, if it''s not feeling better by Tuesday, I''ll grab the next appointment available which gives it a couple of days to heal.

I''ve never used eye drops. My parents used to pin me down as a child to try to put drops in after my eyes got red swimming. I''m not sure it ever worked, they mostly ended up rolling down my face. I''ve never had my eye dilated either. This is how babyish I am about eyes. I''m terrified about the eye doctor, if someone wants to reassure me I''ll let them
1.gif
How I''m sure some people feel about the dentist is how I feel about the ophthalmologist *shudder*

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
eyes do heal fast but it probably is better to get it checked out if you are worried.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Although it''s probably just a corneal abrasion, I wouldn''t put off going to the doctor. (obviously by this time, the soonest you could get in would be Tuesday anyway...but I digress) The outside layer of the eye heels very quickly. If there is debris in your eye, the membrane could have already sealed it in which means the doctor has to use a hand drill to get it out. I know it sounds awful, but you don''t feel it. Optometrists and Opthalmologists are used to seeing patients who don''t like eyes or what their eyes touched.

These are you EYES we''re talking about, better to be on the safe side.

BTW- I''ve worked in an eye doctors office for several years. If you were in my area, I''d be the one putting the drops in your eyes. I don''t bite, in fact, I''m fairly polite.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to go to the eye doctor to get antibiotic eye drops. It usually heals 50% in the first 24 hours and will heal completely in less than a week. I had a chip knocked out of my cornea and was amazed at how much it hurt and how quickly it healed. Good luck.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should get it checked out, don''t want an infection.

That said in the majority of cases if it is a simple abrasion, they will have you wear an eye patch for a week and it will be fine.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s over...and I survived a trip to the doctor''s office today! Not to say that I didn''t whimper a bit. He didn''t bite but it''s not my idea of fun by a long shot. I''d so much rather go to the gyn or dentist.

I just barely scratched my eye a bit but over 48 hours later it''s fine - and I''m slightly paranoid - according to the eye doc.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Gotta love it when docs give you that "expert opinion" as an added bonus. I don''t think you''re paranoid, that stuff is scary. Anyway, glad it''s ok and that you survived!! :)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad you''re okay, but I''m very disheartened to see a doctor tell you you''re paranoid. I''ve spent hours telling people that if they just came in immediately, their prognosis would be so much better.

Still, glad your eyes are fine.

*safety glasses*

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Better paranoid with two eyes then not caring and losing/damaging one

Eye's are a precious thing it is always good to err on the safe side of caution :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2008 7:53:02 PM
Author: Addy
It''s over...and I survived a trip to the doctor''s office today! Not to say that I didn''t whimper a bit. He didn''t bite but it''s not my idea of fun by a long shot. I''d so much rather go to the gyn or dentist.

I just barely scratched my eye a bit but over 48 hours later it''s fine - and I''m slightly paranoid - according to the eye doc.
Eyes are indeed precious and you only get one pair. I would think an eye doctor would rather have '' paranoid'' patients, as you have every right to be, than ones with irreparable eye damage!!
38.gif
I am really glad you are ok though. What are you growing in your allotment?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results