shape
carat
color
clarity

extended warranty question ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Hello: Just bought Bosch dishwasher ( was going to go for Kenmore , but it is a bit higher so the decision was easy by process of elimination.Wondering if we should get the extended warranty 160 for 5 years? Is it waste of money? We are having major differences in opinion and I am wondering what is the concensus here on extended warranty.thanks and thanks also for helping out , many of you recommended Bosch so I am happy about the purchase..

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
$160 is one service call so your gambling that it wont need more than one in 5 years.
Whats the price on the dishwasher?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
While I don''t know about dishwashers specifically, Consumer Reports says that basically all extended warranties (with the possible exception of laptops) are not worth the $$$ because the probability of a repair outside the regular warranty but within the extended is slim. I also know that stores actually make most of their profits on these types of items by selling the extended warranties.

I am sure if you google it you can find some more info/stats specifically for dishwashers.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks the price on the dishwasher with taxes installed and the old one gone is just under $1500 canadian dollars.Has 1 year labour on everything and 2 years on parts ,5 years on controls so I would be charged on labour after 1 year and some parts and labour after 2 years...What do you say?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
buy it

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks that was fast.Yes we got it now.I suppose anything can go wrong and this way we are covered..Thanks...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
For a lot of things I think extended warranties are not smart financial decisions. However with major appliance purchases they are a definite must.

Quick heads up. Many extended warranties have an interesting ''cheat''. You buy a 5 year extended. It starts tolling the day of purchase. But your purchase already has a one year warranty from the manufacturer. Extended warranties should toll AFTER the manufacturers warranty has expired. That way they truly exend the existing warranty. Other other way you are paying for a 5 year extension, but only getting 4 in reality I have pointed this out to mixed success. Some people just don''t GET (or want to get) my point. Others that do, either they do something about it... or can''t do anything about it. But it never hurts to ask.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Gypsy for pointing it out.I did ask actually and got somehow confusing answer.In any case as Storm pointed out if I need to call couple of times ( most likely according to consumer reports repair history) that would be already paid for and the service call fees will most likely go up in a couple of years.They gave me a good discount so basically I gave it back to them in this warranty payment.thanks again.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Just checked into in.You are right 5 years includes 1 year already provided , but he said I will be covered for everything including "wear and tear" This warranty now comes from the store and not manufacturer ...

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Scarleta, my dad has the bosch dishwasher & has had a lot of problems with it, it could have been their model was a lemon, so I''m not trying to be a downer, but its a good thing you go the warranty. Actually now that I think about it, they bought theirs at the same time as a few friends & everyone has had issues. This was a few years back, so perhaps Bosch improved their models. They just got rid of it and went with a Maytag I believe. The Bosch started taking 4 hours to wash dishes & was leaking a lot. They kept a measuring cup under it to catch the runover.

I avoid extended warranties for the most part, since I feel they are a way for stores to make pure profit (like buying the extra insurance at a car rental place) and keep the manufacturers from having to back up their products.

I''ve heard if the warranty is less than 5% of the purchase price, then go ahead.

Things I do not buy warranties on: cameras, iPods, vacuum cleaners, small electronics, appliances, etc. Things I did buy warranties on: DH''s Sony PSP (only because he''s hard on stuff & that thing is so little and weird), my new LCD tv (but it was CHEAP for the ext. warr.) and that''s it. I didn''t get one for my laptop & I wish I did. Its slow now & the internal wireless card burnt out & its a $250+ repair and the ext. warranty was only $160.

I did just have my new hot water heater repaired, but it was only $81 to fix, so I don''t feel bad about that. I''d rather just pay for the incidental repair as it pops up.

Divergrrl

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for that.I do hope that Bosch improved their dishwashers since then.Its highly recommended by consumer reports.I got a good discount , so basically it paid for the warranty.Have to wait till mid March for delivery and installation.People here recommended it as nr 1.I got sxh46a model.Thanks for your response.We had a bit of disagreement so I posted here and after I bought the extended everyone is happy now.Thanks a lot..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results