shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement photos and anniversary photos

P

PierreBear

Hey PSers! When I got married almost 10 years ago, engagement photos weren't really a big deal. Perhaps it's the accessibility to digital photos or pinterest, it seems like every bride does some sort of engagement photo shoot. For those who did it, are you glad you have the pictures and do you look at it often or perhaps have it framed some where? Is it cheesy to do an anniversary photo since we never did it back then?

Thanks for sharing!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the biggest appeal of engagement photos is to get to know your photographer. Do you gel with them? Do you prefer them to pose you or capture more natural moments? How do they make you feel? How long did it take you to get comfortable? What would you do differently?

Rather than find that all out on your wedding day, its nice to have a bit of rapport with this person, and they also know 'well shes really shy for the first 10m and then relaxes. If I make him laugh, she laughs too' etc, which is helpful for capturing some nice photos!

I notice its popular nowadays to include that as the save the date or on the invite or on the website. That is cute. I don't know anyone who framed them though.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
PierreBear said:
Hey PSers! When I got married almost 10 years ago, engagement photos weren't really a big deal. Perhaps it's the accessibility to digital photos or pinterest, it seems like every bride does some sort of engagement photo shoot. For those who did it, are you glad you have the pictures and do you look at it often or perhaps have it framed some where? Is it cheesy to do an anniversary photo since we never did it back then?

Thanks for sharing!

My parents did engagement photos back in 1989, but not a photo shoot. Just studio photos.

Go for it! If you want to, you can. Hell, it could be fun to do an engagement shoot and a vow renewal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pre-wedding photo shoots are big in Asia and have been for a long time. Couples would take photos in the wedding attire way before the wedding so the studio would have time to edit them and print them on canvas. They would then be displayed at the wedding.

With the Internet and stuff, I definitely think pre wedding shoot idea influenced western culture. Then Pinterest, etc. everyone picks up on the idea.

It's a great time to get to know your photographer and to learn how to relax in front of the camera. Most people never take professional photos in their lives, let alone showing PDA in front of one, so I think it's important to practice before the big day.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pre-wedding photo shoots are big in Asia and have been for a long time. Couples would take photos in the wedding attire way before the wedding so the studio would have time to edit them and print them on canvas. They would then be displayed at the wedding.

With the Internet and stuff, I definitely think pre wedding shoot idea influenced western culture. Then Pinterest, etc. everyone picks up on the idea.

It's a great time to get to know your photographer and to learn how to relax in front of the camera. Most people never take professional photos in their lives, let alone showing PDA in front of one, so I think it's important to practice before the big day.

Q

Queenie60

We had an engagement portrait taken back in 1988. However the engagement photos I see from current couples are quite elaborate! One couple had the photographer follow them through a small local village style town for 4 or so hours and photograph them in shops, restaurants, etc. It was quite interesting. And when I hosted the bridal shower, they brought a gigantic portrait on canvas, displayed on an easel and they sat it in my entry way so guests could view it when they arrived. Different from what we did back in the day! :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1471639419|4067808 said:
I think the biggest appeal of engagement photos is to get to know your photographer. Do you gel with them? Do you prefer them to pose you or capture more natural moments? How do they make you feel? How long did it take you to get comfortable? What would you do differently?

Rather than find that all out on your wedding day, its nice to have a bit of rapport with this person, and they also know 'well shes really shy for the first 10m and then relaxes. If I make him laugh, she laughs too' etc, which is helpful for capturing some nice photos!
This is why we did it. It was a great ice breaker with the photographer.

As for anniversary pictures: Do it!!

Our engagement photos are actually my favorite ones. They show us as we really are, not all glamoured up. Don't get me wrong our wedding photos exceeded my expectations. But our engagement shoot was just very 'us'. We just went to an adorable coastal scenic town and walked around before sunset. We both wore jeans and nice sweaters and I wore 'normal' makeup. So when I look at them they feel like us, as we are naturally. KWIM? It was romantic and just a beautiful day. We went to a lovely dinner afterward too and made a date of it, so the day is just one warm fuzzy memory that brings back those feelings when I see the pictures now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results