shape
carat
color
clarity

Dog and Cat Foods - Better Choices

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 1:35:43 PM
Author: Chrono
Cehra,
I''ve snooped on a cat forum and read than EVO can be a bit ''rich'' for some cats and gives them the runs. Wellness gets pretty good reviews and is easy to find locally.
yeah mama''s got the runs and it stinks to high hell in this house LOL We still have the kitten chow stuff or meowmix kitten/nursing mom so I''m going to finish that.... the kittens vastly prefer it. I did get them some wet food today in lieu of mama''s mousie LOL Oy, what am I in for? all of my curtains are strung up out of their reach.... my house looks and smells like.... you know what LOL One of them pooped on a sheer yesterday.... thankfully they''re easy to clean. Goodness I''m overwhelmed LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 1:35:43 PM
Author: Chrono
Cehra,
I''ve snooped on a cat forum and read than EVO can be a bit ''rich'' for some cats and gives them the runs. Wellness gets pretty good reviews and is easy to find locally.
I bet teh regular innova is probably pretty good but this one said for kittens. I''m just going to use the cheap stuff for a few weeks until they are all more settled and then start experimenting. Maybe even wait until the others have homes.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Cehra - I''m sorry you''re having that experience. It might be the rapidness of the transition - sometimes just switching quickly can cause tummy upset. But EVO is definitely one of the richest cat foods out there, and regular Innova, or Wellness, or Felidae or any of those other foods with some grains in them should be less dense and rich. Maybe when you start getting to the end of this bag you could try mixing them - 3/4 the food you''ve been feeding and 1/4 a different food, then 1/2 and 1/2, and so forth so their little systems have some more time to adjust. It doesn''t surprise me they prefer the taste of Meow Mix - my vet said its basically like eating nothing but McDonalds - yummy, but not nutritious and detrimental to health over the long term.

In terms of mama and mice, that is pretty gross, but you''re right that''s how she''s been living. Honestly, I think it would be better to keep her 100% indoors for now and not let her out at all. It sounds like she will probably adjust, especially once she figures out that food is always available for her inside and she doesn''t have to fend for herself anymore.

Re: the "going" outside the litter box, try to have more than one box if you can. You can also try "cat attract" plug-ins or litter, and/or Feliway plug-ins to help relax all the kitties. We''ve found feline pine to be the best for controlling the smell. You have to be super-careful with the clumping litter with kittens that young - its actually not recommended at all, because they can eat it (gross, I know, but they will grow out of it), and it can cause an intestinal blockage, which can easily be fatal.

I know its a lot to take in and deal with all at once - it sounds like you are doing really well. Just keep remembering what a wonderful thing you are doing - most of those babies probably wouldn''t have made it if you''d left them outside, and they and mom would have all been in a lot of danger. You''ve really given them all a shot at a wonderful life, and you should be incredibly proud of that.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 3:49:30 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Cehra - I''m sorry you''re having that experience. It might be the rapidness of the transition - sometimes just switching quickly can cause tummy upset. But EVO is definitely one of the richest cat foods out there, and regular Innova, or Wellness, or Felidae or any of those other foods with some grains in them should be less dense and rich. Maybe when you start getting to the end of this bag you could try mixing them - 3/4 the food you''ve been feeding and 1/4 a different food, then 1/2 and 1/2, and so forth so their little systems have some more time to adjust. It doesn''t surprise me they prefer the taste of Meow Mix - my vet said its basically like eating nothing but McDonalds - yummy, but not nutritious and detrimental to health over the long term.

In terms of mama and mice, that is pretty gross, but you''re right that''s how she''s been living. Honestly, I think it would be better to keep her 100% indoors for now and not let her out at all. It sounds like she will probably adjust, especially once she figures out that food is always available for her inside and she doesn''t have to fend for herself anymore.

Re: the ''going'' outside the litter box, try to have more than one box if you can. You can also try ''cat attract'' plug-ins or litter, and/or Feliway plug-ins to help relax all the kitties. We''ve found feline pine to be the best for controlling the smell. You have to be super-careful with the clumping litter with kittens that young - its actually not recommended at all, because they can eat it (gross, I know, but they will grow out of it), and it can cause an intestinal blockage, which can easily be fatal.

I know its a lot to take in and deal with all at once - it sounds like you are doing really well. Just keep remembering what a wonderful thing you are doing - most of those babies probably wouldn''t have made it if you''d left them outside, and they and mom would have all been in a lot of danger. You''ve really given them all a shot at a wonderful life, and you should be incredibly proud of that.
The "mcdonalds" of cat food isn''t a permanent solution but goodness the smell is horrible for the other stuff LOL

This is the kitty litter we''ve gotten:
http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/Products/WBCL/default.aspx

the kittens are learning the box but when the kitty had that "accident" it was just before he learned or she learned. They''ll get it. Just a lot of stuff to deal with. I''ve had cats before and even hand raised a kitten from birth, but I haven''t had one for six years and we really didn''t plan for this it just feel quickly in our lap and mostly I''m just trying to adjust but a little part of me is just mad that no one ever dealt with this in the 4 years prior. Granted, little joe wouldn''t be here and he''s amazing, but seriously.... the neighbor took the cats kittens for the past 2 years and never bothered to deal with the mama? And she took the kittens at 5 weeks straight to the pound, no weaning, no socialization.... but I''m irritated with that woman anyway (see other thread) so this just contributes. These kittens are definitely getting a lot of handling and love.

I may try one of the other brands.... just right now all I can think about is end the smell. Have I mentioned how bad it is? LOL!!! At least "runny" mama is going in the box!!!!!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I can totally get how upset you are that no one bothered to deal with this. I volunteer a lot of time in animal rescue, and you wouldn''t believe the things I hear about and see. Its unbelievable the lack of responsibility people take even for their own pets and for animals in general.

Like I said, I totally get how this seems overwhelming right now since it just got dropped in your lap, and you''re right, there is nothing anywhere that says this should be your responsibility. But you are making such a world of difference to these babies.

The litter you are using should be safe, but if the smell is horrible you might consider trying the feline pine and/or a sprinkle-in deodorizer of some kind. There are baking soda-based ones, although the one we''ve had the most luck with is called "Solid Gold," (or something gold...) and its sold at Petco. Our Ollie makes unbelievable stinks - when he was just a tiny kitten, he could clear a room with his flatulence!! Fortunately he grew out of it, but the combination of feline pine, sprinkle-in deodorizer, and a plug-in wall scent thing from Method brand (sold at target).

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 5:14:05 PM
I can totally get how upset you are that no one bothered to deal with this. I volunteer a lot of time in animal rescue, and you wouldn''t believe the things I hear about and see. Its unbelievable the lack of responsibility people take even for their own pets and for animals in general.

Like I said, I totally get how this seems overwhelming right now since it just got dropped in your lap, and you''re right, there is nothing anywhere that says this should be your responsibility. But you are making such a world of difference to these babies.

The litter you are using should be safe, but if the smell is horrible you might consider trying the feline pine and/or a sprinkle-in deodorizer of some kind. There are baking soda-based ones, although the one we''ve had the most luck with is called ''Solid Gold,'' (or something gold...) and its sold at Petco. Our Ollie makes unbelievable stinks - when he was just a tiny kitten, he could clear a room with his flatulence!! Fortunately he grew out of it, but the combination of feline pine, sprinkle-in deodorizer, and a plug-in wall scent thing from Method brand (sold at target).
LOL Its not the litter that is a problem with the smell.... gosh we flush it right away.... its just.... lingering. I hate to keep bringing it up but my house stinks despite everything being flushed and spraying some febrize (sp?) But I hear ya.... need more plug ins! LOL!!! I fed them their first wet food and this is THE longest nap they''ev ever taken LOL Mom is definitely weaning them. And yeah I do feel like I''m doing good by them even if I am unwilling to endure the evo-smell LOL I just really hope they can find good homes. How old are they when they reach 2 pounds???? LOL

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So... can the guru''s help me a little?

Our cats love EVO dry. They love it so much they are getting fat. I tried low fat Innova, and that was okay. But I would prefer to have a couple of options. I am considering Wellness dry.

For wet my cats will only consistently eat Pro-Plan ( I know it''s not good stuff, but they love it).
They will eat Trader Joes wet on occassion, as well as some Innova wet but they protest if we feed either of these more than one day in five. I''ve tried wellness wet: No. Other good wet: No.

They won''t really even eat canned no sodium tuna anymore. Or the Trader Joes cat tuna. They nibble on it, but look bored.

They love steammed chilled shrimp.. but I don''t like giving them so much seafood... so I''m not doing that more than once a month. Won''t eat straight chicken cooked, or beef. Scallops are a toy. They do like my home made chicken cat food, but well... I don''t want to feed them that long term as I''m not of its nutirtional value. I''ll make that for them once a month as well, but that''s really it.

Reccommendations?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 6:06:44 PM
Author: Gypsy
So... can the guru''s help me a little?

Our cats love EVO dry. They love it so much they are getting fat. I tried low fat Innova, and that was okay. But I would prefer to have a couple of options. I am considering Wellness dry.

For wet my cats will only consistently eat Pro-Plan ( I know it''s not good stuff, but they love it).
They will eat Trader Joes wet on occassion, as well as some Innova wet but they protest if we feed either of these more than one day in five. I''ve tried wellness wet: No. Other good wet: No.

They won''t really even eat canned no sodium tuna anymore. Or the Trader Joes cat tuna. They nibble on it, but look bored.

They love steammed chilled shrimp.. but I don''t like giving them so much seafood... so I''m not doing that more than once a month. Won''t eat straight chicken cooked, or beef. Scallops are a toy. They do like my home made chicken cat food, but well... I don''t want to feed them that long term as I''m not of its nutirtional value. I''ll make that for them once a month as well, but that''s really it.

Reccommendations?
you''re a saint - I''d share my fish with my cats, I''d share just about anything.... but shrimp? oh hell no!! I have trouble giving it up to my own children LOL

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy - which brands of wet have you tried? Ours are super-picky about wet food, and we''ve had luck with exactly two flavors of one kind of food - Merrick New England Boil and Ocean Catch. We alternate between feeding and not feeding the wet food because sometimes they will even turn their little noses up at that! Honestly I would try as many wet food flavors as you can of all the different brands. Do they have a preference for seafood or poultry or red meat? You can also try plain chicken or turkey baby food with no onion...

Cehra - we''ve found the pine helps cover up the odor when they actually "go," because when they dig in it and that helps release the pine smell with covers the...umm...other smell.
14.gif
But yeah, more plug-ins is always a good plan
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amber... they like food in gravy best. BUT it can''t be kibbley chunks in gravy.... like Nutro. It has to be flakes in gravy... like Proplan. Or it has to be ground...they aren''t overfond of classic style food, but will eat it if they like the flavor enough. Their favorite flavors of Proplan are chicken and liver ground, beef and liver ground, tuna classic, and anything in gravy... but particularly their ultimate favorite: Salmon and rice in gravy.

I feed primarily dry, and free feed though. I only give them about 1.5 ounces of wet a night so I really want to make sure I have them on a REALLY good dry food.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...the Merrick is more classic style, but it was literally the only wet food our babies would eat besides Meow Mix, so maybe worth a shot - it comes in a TON of flavoris...ours won''t eat poultry flavors of anything, so it had to be the seafood...spoiled little beasties!!

EVO is a fantastic dry food but it is very rich (ours have a tendency to put on weight, which we''re trying to minimize for health reasons). We''ve had good luck switching between the EVO and regular Innova or mixing them, and also feeding smaller portions. Our kitties didn''t care for Felidae at all, but it is a good food. They did eat Natural Balance regular flavor. If possible, maybe you could get some different kinds of samples and see what your picky babies will go for?

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t think an almost all shrimp diet would be good for cats but I have a friend who feeds her cat 98% whole foods pre-cooked shrimp, and has for years! It''s now 15 yrs old, fit as a fiddle, and is an indoor-outdoor cat in a coyote infested region. (he once made my dog cry for about an hour
20.gif
)

I haven''t personally used the ''World''s best kitty litter'' but my sister did and her whole apartment stank! We''re currently using Feline pine clumping litter which bears a striking resemblance to sawdust. It''s pretty good with the odor control. (the pellet form wasn''t very good. smelt like a paper factory).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah... on the litter front... YUCK. We have three and that natural stuff we tried 3 brands of it( including the ''worlds best'' hahaha) and it is not equiped for three adult cats in the prime of their lives eating EVO. Let me tell ya. Our apartment is 760 square feet. Small. And EVERY INCH OF IT STANK with that stuff. One of mine doesn''t cover his up... and WHEW it is terrible. We use the not so good stuff-- Fresh Step Multiple cat strength.

I will get some sample sizes... I just don''t want to keep switching too many foods on them as they do get upset stomach if I take less than a week to switch them over. And that too STINKS.

I don''t like stink.
14.gif

I will try the Merrick wet, see if it has some flavors they like. Thanks for the tips.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
You guys would have seriously been so amazed at the smell that little tiny Oliver generated when he was a baby...Gypsy - I completely understand the stinking up the whole apartment thing. Oliver could do our entire 1000-square feet apartment when we first got him...and he buries it!!
23.gif

I''m glad you found something that works for you though - since my DH cleans the box (my asthma gets bad if I do it), I let him make the decisions about litter type
3.gif

Good luck with the Merrick - I hope you can find a flavor they will like!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 8:02:50 PM
Hmmm...the Merrick is more classic style, but it was literally the only wet food our babies would eat besides Meow Mix, so maybe worth a shot - it comes in a TON of flavoris...ours won''t eat poultry flavors of anything, so it had to be the seafood...spoiled little beasties!!

EVO is a fantastic dry food but it is very rich (ours have a tendency to put on weight, which we''re trying to minimize for health reasons). We''ve had good luck switching between the EVO and regular Innova or mixing them, and also feeding smaller portions. Our kitties didn''t care for Felidae at all, but it is a good food. They did eat Natural Balance regular flavor. If possible, maybe you could get some different kinds of samples and see what your picky babies will go for?
I''m going to the innova and mixing it with the evo, but I''m not doing that for a couple weeks, I just can''t deal with that now LOL I thought I could but I need baby steps! I wish you could get like 1 pound sample bags.... petsmart gave me a nutra? sample but it''s like one meal - I''m not as concerned with having picky eaters as much as happy tummies. Glad I got the small bag of evo, do plan to go back to it (like the theory) but gonna do it differently.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 8:08:28 PM
Author: IndieJones
I wouldn''t think an almost all shrimp diet would be good for cats but I have a friend who feeds her cat 98% whole foods pre-cooked shrimp, and has for years! It''s now 15 yrs old, fit as a fiddle, and is an indoor-outdoor cat in a coyote infested region. (he once made my dog cry for about an hour
20.gif
)

I haven''t personally used the ''World''s best kitty litter'' but my sister did and her whole apartment stank! We''re currently using Feline pine clumping litter which bears a striking resemblance to sawdust. It''s pretty good with the odor control. (the pellet form wasn''t very good. smelt like a paper factory).
okay tell the story about your dog!

As for the litter, my dh spent a long time yesterday looking at boxes and litter.... he found an entire forum dedicated to litter boxes LOL He found them upwards of $300 and my dh actually considered it! I think he''s nuts.

I don''t plan on staying on this litter - well..... I don''t have a plan to stay on it or not to stay on it.... other than I do plan to stay on it until the kittens are older. I do feel better about them being on it. I like the idea of putting it in the toilet too but we''ll reevaluate the situation again in a few weeks. Having gel crystals or something like that might be better, I dunno.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 8:30:01 PM
Yeah... on the litter front... YUCK. We have three and that natural stuff we tried 3 brands of it( including the ''worlds best'' hahaha) and it is not equiped for three adult cats in the prime of their lives eating EVO. Let me tell ya. Our apartment is 760 square feet. Small. And EVERY INCH OF IT STANK with that stuff. One of mine doesn''t cover his up... and WHEW it is terrible. We use the not so good stuff-- Fresh Step Multiple cat strength.

I will get some sample sizes... I just don''t want to keep switching too many foods on them as they do get upset stomach if I take less than a week to switch them over. And that too STINKS.

I don''t like stink.
14.gif

I will try the Merrick wet, see if it has some flavors they like. Thanks for the tips.
you know if the stink was just regular cat poop stink it would be one thing but this is like rotting something stink LOL Nasty!!!

How do you like the multiple cat fresh step?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It works really well for odor control. Tracks pretty bad though, which is a pain... but I'd rather deal with that than the odor that knocks you back three feet when you walk in the door. I think our cats are also ornery as they refuse to use the HUGE mat we have around the boxes which makes tracking worse. Frodo (the stinker who doesn't bury) jumps over the mat entirely and makes sure to land on the floor. His stink is so bad sometimes (after a particularly bad stink) my other two will go in and frantically bury it for him. Hally tracks some but no where near Frodo as walks out of the box then wipes her feet on the floor right next to the mat. Of course she also LAUNCHES litter everywhere when she is digging to china in the box. So the laundry room floor pretty much gets swept once if not twice a day. Duncan doesn't track as he wipes his feet on the edge of the box before leaving and his back paws hit the mat.

If it's not one thing, its another with these litters. I personally would LOVE to get the $300 automatic litter box... the funny round one. For the week that it actually worked the littermaid we had was FABULOUS. But it just was NOT up to multiple cats... even with the regular box right next to it. We would have bought two if it had worked for longer than a week.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2007 1:55:33 AM
It works really well for odor control. Tracks pretty bad though, which is a pain... but I''d rather deal with that than the odor that knocks you back three feet when you walk in the door. I think our cats are also ornery as they refuse to use the HUGE mat we have around the boxes which makes tracking worse. Frodo (the stinker who doesn''t bury) jumps over the mat entirely and makes sure to land on the floor. His stink is so bad sometimes (after a particularly bad stink) my other two will go in and frantically bury it for him. Hally tracks some but no where near Frodo as walks out of the box then wipes her feet on the floor right next to the mat. Of course she also LAUNCHES litter everywhere when she is digging to china in the box. So the laundry room floor pretty much gets swept once if not twice a day. Duncan doesn''t track as he wipes his feet on the edge of the box before leaving and his back paws hit the mat.

If it''s not one thing, its another with these litters. I personally would LOVE to get the $300 automatic litter box... the funny round one. For the week that it actually worked the littermaid we had was FABULOUS. But it just was NOT up to multiple cats... even with the regular box right next to it. We would have bought two if it had worked for longer than a week.
we bought a littermaid 8 years ago and I think they''re not made anymore are they? ours lasted a couple months for one cat and it was awesome.... while it lasted. He was a weirdo cat that would NOT use the litterbox if there was even one thing in it, even his own. So he''d poop *everywhere* instead. He''d usually pee in there but he''d literally hang his ass over the edge LOL He was a fanatical cleaner and when he was stressed he would lick himself near bald in places. NO dirty boxes for that boy LOL HIs daughter was the opposite. Mama died when she was born and he was 8 mos old and raised her and he always cleaned her and when he died she got fat and dirty LOL

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww.
5.gif

Frodo picked Duncan to raise him. Duncan reluctantly took on the task but to this day Frodo doesn't clean himself properly.. the other two clean up for him-- they lick him clean and everything. And then there is the litter covering issue, we caught him at six weeks, but we caught his momma at 5 weeks, so I don't think she ever taught him how. She taught him how to fear humans though. John and I are the only ones he trusts out here. In NJ he trusted his grandma too.

I unfortunately must go to sleep now, goodnight Cehra.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OK... back to "Better (cat food) Choices"... what do you guys (who know way more than me) think about the new Purina Pro Plan?

http://www.proplan.com/products/catProducts.html

It looks to me like Purina may be stepping up to plate to offer a better quality cat food? This particular Purina is allegedly not available in the grocery store. Anyway, I just wanted to know what you guys think of it? There are several different varieties, but here's the info on the "Hairball Management Salmon & Rice Formula", copied and pasted off the website.

Strong Immune System
Complete nutrition with vital antioxidants and high levels of quality protein to help nourish the immune system.
Radiant Skin & Coat
Omega fatty acids, vitamin A and high-quality protein help support healthy skin and a lustrous coat.
Healthy Eyes & Vision
Formulated with vitamin A and taurine for bright, healthy eyes and good vision.
Healthy Digestive System
Highly digestible formula enables your cat to receive optimal nutrition from the food with less going to waste.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein (Min) 40.0%
Crude Fat (Min) 16.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) 5.0%
Moisture (Max) 12.0%
Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.4%
Vitamin A (Min) 10,000 IU/kg
Taurine (Min) 0.15%

CALORIE CONTENT (CALCULATED):

Metabolizable Energy (ME)
4208 kcal/kg
1913 kcal/lb.
530 kcal/cup

Digestible Energy (DE)
4531 kcal/kg
572 kcal/cup

INGREDIENTS:
Salmon, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, wheat gluten, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), soybean meal, dried egg product, soy lecithin, fish meal, powdered cellulose, rice hulls, brewers dried yeast, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, animal digest, potassium chloride, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, salt, choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, taurine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
E-4619

Experts, please advise! Thank you!
Lynn

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey Lynn - I''d be extremely concerned that corn gluten meal is the second ingredient. Corn is a bad grain to feed most dogs and cats - it has little nutritional benefit for them and in many cases can cause allergies and other health problems. Especially in light of the recall issues, I avoid it in cat food as a general rule. I can look up some more information and try to write a more detailed response later, if you''d like, although I''m sure there are others that will chime in. I still think that for the $$, Innova or another alternative brand is a much better bet.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
FYI, Innova EVO has a little bit of a high phosphorus content, so I''ve heard it recommended to alternate with a food with a higher Ca content, and potentially avoid for cats with renal issues.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2007 7:31:25 PM
Hey Lynn - I'd be extremely concerned that corn gluten meal is the second ingredient. Corn is a bad grain to feed most dogs and cats - it has little nutritional benefit for them and in many cases can cause allergies and other health problems. Especially in light of the recall issues, I avoid it in cat food as a general rule. I can look up some more information and try to write a more detailed response later, if you'd like, although I'm sure there are others that will chime in. I still think that for the $$, Innova or another alternative brand is a much better bet.
Thanks, AG, I was hoping you'd chime in! The corn gluten meal is the 3rd ingredient, though, no? (Not that that probably makes much difference, of course.) And I always appreciate any input you can provide -- thanks!

I am more than willing to spend the money on whatever food is best for Buster. I plan to try the Innova first. But from your research and experience (and in a nutshell) what are your other favorite brands?

Thanks again!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2007 7:36:07 PM
Author: rainbowtrout
FYI, Innova EVO has a little bit of a high phosphorus content, so I''ve heard it recommended to alternate with a food with a higher Ca content, and potentially avoid for cats with renal issues.
Thanks for the info, Rainbowtrout! Good to know.
Oh, what do you mean by a higher "CA" content, please? Calcium? (*cough*... chem was never my strongest suit!)
And what do you suggest for alternating it (the EVO) with?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
That''s an excellent point RT. We don''t feed Innova EVO exclusively, we mix it with regular Innova, partly for that reason.

Lynn - I really think you can''t go wrong with any of the foods listed in the original link on the first page of this thread. Our personal favorite is the combination I''ve mentioned - Innova EVO and regular Innova mixed for dry, and then Merrick, a combination of the grain-free flavors, for wet food. Our kitties love all these foods and the vet says they couldn''t be in better health - he raves every time we bring them in. But if Buster doesn''t like Innova (although it seems to be a popular food taste-wise for most kitties), then maybe try some of the other options. Can you get it from a place with a return policy (i.e. if Buster won''t eat it)? Alternatively, I would bet if you called NaturaPet directly (they make Innova as well as several other good brands of food) they would be willing to send you some samples or tell you where you could get them for a minimal amount of money. And the canned foods you can just buy a bunch of small cans of different types and/or flavors and try them until Buster lets you know what his favorites are.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Well, my PetFoodDirect.com order came and Buster LOVES both the regular Innova and the EVO. YAY! In fact, I am using the EVO as a "treat" (trying to teach him to "come"!) until my next order, which will include more Innova, and GREENIES!

Cha-ching, cha-ching... just doin'' what PS does best!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Oh Lynn - I''m so glad! Ours LOVE the EVO, and that and the regular Innova are their favorite foods ever. Don''t forget to decrease the volume you''re feeding Buster from what you were feeding with the other food, because this is much more dense (especially the EVO), and otherwise he might gain weight (ours get 1/2 cup of dry food per cat per day but that can vary a lot by individual cats). And don''t be surprised if there are some litterbox changes - sometimes they can get a slightly upset tummy until their systems adjust to a different food, but he should adjust, given a little time.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2007 4:15:01 PM
Oh Lynn - I''m so glad! Ours LOVE the EVO, and that and the regular Innova are their favorite foods ever. Don''t forget to decrease the volume you''re feeding Buster from what you were feeding with the other food, because this is much more dense (especially the EVO), and otherwise he might gain weight (ours get 1/2 cup of dry food per cat per day but that can vary a lot by individual cats). And don''t be surprised if there are some litterbox changes - sometimes they can get a slightly upset tummy until their systems adjust to a different food, but he should adjust, given a little time.
Thanks, AG! I plan to get him used to the new foods gradually; he doesn''t seem to have a sensitive tummy, so I think he''ll do fine. But thank you for the head''s up on the possible litter box changes!
2.gif

But... hmmmm, right now I do just leave dry food down all the time... and I like it that way. He eats throughout the day; but he seems like he''s a healthy weight; he doesn''t seem to overeat. Do you think I will need to change that habit?
5.gif

Thanks,
Lynn

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to add that my cat seems to be doing really well on the Innova EVO. I havent noticed any tummy problems or abnormally stinky bowel movements. We free feed, so hopefully my scrawny toothpick will put some weight on. Thanks for the recommendation!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results