shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone play the Clarinet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to play Clarinet when I was a teenager. I wonder how difficult it would be to teach myself to play again. I can''t remember much about it to be honest... I have a terrible memory. Do you think it will all come flooding back again?

Thanks for any advice
1.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I had to learn the basics on clarinet as part of my undergrad degree in instrumental music education. I think if you get yourself a starters clarinet book, you''ll find some of it comes back pretty quickly, but probably mostly in your mind--you''ll have to retrain your fingers to do a lot of what they used to be able to do purely out of habit. So, you should probably expect to be rusty for a little while, but it''ll come back to you!
1.gif

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I also used to play the clarinet years ago, and have been thinking of taking it up again. I agree with what gwendolyn said, I''m expecting it to take awhile to get my chops back but I think the fingerings will come back fairly quickly. And I don''t think you ever really forget how to read music, although it might be slow at first, so it''s definitely worth a try!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the replies!

I figure I need a hobby to keep me from obsessing over diamonds all the time!
9.gif
The only thing I''m not looking forward to is the cramp in my face and the numb lips!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I played for many many years... I haven''t played in a while, but I feel confident that after a few sessions of playing around to get my bearings back, I could play it again no problem. However, playing instruments comes very easily to me- I can pick up almost any instrument and teach myself how to play it. It may be harder to get back into if music doesn''t come as naturally to you, or if you don''t have much memory of it.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 7:17:46 PM
Author: Tuckins1
I played for many many years... I haven''t played in a while, but I feel confident that after a few sessions of playing around to get my bearings back, I could play it again no problem. However, playing instruments comes very easily to me- I can pick up almost any instrument and teach myself how to play it. It may be harder to get back into if music doesn''t come as naturally to you, or if you don''t have much memory of it.
I haven''t played for around 24 years so its in my dim distant past
9.gif
I know when I was learning it came really easily to me. I didn''t struggle to read the music or the actual playing of the instrument. I think I will give it a go. What have I got to lose... apart from all feeling in my lips!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So did I. The clarinet got passed on through my younger sister and then my youngest brother. But about 15 years ago I ended up with it again.

Every few years I pull it out and can still run the scales and play some very simple tunes (marry had a little lamb, etc).

I am sure that you will remember the basics... and be able to play simple things with just a few sessions. It will of course take practice to get reasonable again; but should not be near as difficult as it was initially.

My best wishes on your quest on this.

Toot toot.....

Pery

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Perry!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I played in high school and still pick up my clarinet now and again. It doesn''t all come flooding back--in fact it''s frustrating to pick up an exercise book and fumble through exercises that used to be simple. A good friend of mine used to play the flute and decided to start playing again last year. She said it took her a few months to get back to the level she was before she quit. So not immediately, but not too long, either. Good luck!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 9:35:15 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I played in high school and still pick up my clarinet now and again. It doesn''t all come flooding back--in fact it''s frustrating to pick up an exercise book and fumble through exercises that used to be simple. A good friend of mine used to play the flute and decided to start playing again last year. She said it took her a few months to get back to the level she was before she quit. So not immediately, but not too long, either. Good luck!
I think its going to be hard work but hopefully I will be able to learn and get some enjoyment out of playing again. I used to love it.. I can''t even remember why I gave it up. Probably to do with a boyfriend or something equally important at age 14!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Enjoy yourself!! I love playing music, it is so relaxing!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 4:19:35 PM
Author: Tuckins1
Enjoy yourself!! I love playing music, it is so relaxing!
I used to love it too. I was never going to make my fortune playing clarinet but I was ok at it. Maybe I will be better at it this time around.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results