shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone know about low blood sugar?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I never had any problems with my blood sugar until after I got pregnant. I had mild gestational diabetes the first time around but never needed insulin. I had to just adjust my diet. Didn''t have it at all during my second pregnancy. After the first pregnancy, I noticed that my blood sugar plummetted about an hour to an hour and a half after I ate breakfast. I would get the shakes, lightheaded, headachy, irritable and sometimes hot and sweater feeling. It is very uncomfortable. I called the doctor and he wanted me to come in and get tested. Then I got pregnant again and I was eating more so it wasn''t a problem. But now I have it again. I know I need to go in but what can he do for me after he tests me?

I try to eat an orange as a midmorning snack but even that doesn''t seem to help much anymore. I don''t want to carbo binge since I am trying to lose weight or at least maintain my weight. Any body have this problem or know about it?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about a protien with your orange such as a cheese stick, nuts, or yogurt? I''ve heard that a lasting full feeling comes more from protien and fiber than carbs.

Oh, and go see your Dr. asap just in case there is a problem

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you pregnant now? I''m not sure from what you said. I just wanted to say that its not the best time to be slimming if you are.
21.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
It almost sounds like hypoglycemia... you should get yourself to a doctor straight away! I have family members with hypoglycemia and if they don't eat enough of the right foods, they will start to shake soon after eating. I suggest carrying granola bars with you for when you are out and start shaking.

ETA: Also, carry hard candy with you because sometimes you need more sugar than just a granola bar can offer. It will help if you eat more small snacks throughout the day to carry you over to the next meal, too. Another good thing is to make sure that you drink lots of water, it seems to help.

*M*

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Make sure you don''t eat large meals...eat smaller ones 6-8 times per day. Try to include more protein, and try getting your carbs from fruit in the morning, and vegetables in the evening.

It is a little unsual for the symptoms to persist following pregnancy, but the body is dynamic.

This is a healthier way to eat anyways.

:)

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Allisonfaye, there are many different causes of postprandial hypoglycemia (I take it from your post that you have actually documented the low values in addition to the symptoms) - I also assume that you have not had any GI tract surgery such as gastric bypass. It is best to go in and see your doctor for testing to determine the cause - the treatment would depend on the cause. Definitely go see your doctor!

Also - you mentioned you are trying to lose weight - are you taking any weight loss supplements? If you are, check the ingredients in it

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I am not currently pregnant. My youngest is now 15 months old. I have pretty much plateaued at my pre-baby weight. I won''t lose any more significant weight. I was trying to lose about 5 pounds now.

I have not documented the low blood sugar but I can feel it. ( I assume this is what it is). I plan to go see my doctor but I need to get a new babysitter to watch over the kids. I will be essentially letting my blood sugar tank the day I do it and the doctor said I may need to be there for several hours. I don''t want to take my kids along under those circumstances. But the second I get a new sitter, I will set up the appointment.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pharmacies usually have a spare blood glucose monitor hanging around to show customers how to check their sugar level. If you tell them about your symptoms they may help you out and check it for you. I''d try your neighborhood Target or RiteAid (I''ve worked for both companies in the pharmacy).

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi!

why don''t you purchase a blood glucose monitor and check your bs. i agree you need to get to the doctor but since you say it might be a bit before you get there the monitor will answer the question. these are available at walmart, target, drug stores and the like and not super expensive.

i think other things can cause shakiness, lightheadedness and the sweats. i am not suggesting that this is your case but the beginning of hot flashes can feel similar. sorry i know this is too much info just a though since the orange doesn''t seem to help anymore. good luck and get to the doc.
1.gif

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
sorry hudson hawk. while i was typing you posted your info.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
No worries

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Allison, your symptoms sound awfully familiar to me... I get the shaky, lightheaded, dizzy, irritable thing too, about an hour or two after eating. I also get a pounding heart, nausea and confusion. My doctor has suggested I come in for more extensive testing, but says my symptoms sound like pretty basic reactive hypoglycemia.

The main changes I've made are in my diet... I am very careful to have snacks on me at all times, preferably a protein or complex carb (string cheese or nuts). Simple carbs/sugar (like from an orange) provide a quick fix, but usually just exacerbate the problem... I feel awful again 15 minutes later... so try to avoid fruit or candy. The key is just to eat consistent, small amounts of high-fiber food throughout the day. Oh, and caffeine is an awful trigger for me, but of course I drink it anyway.
20.gif

Good luck... it's really surprisingly easy to control once you understand what's going on... just annoying at those times when you realize you've forgotten to eat a snack, and suddenly you're walking down the street and have to find a bench to sit down on before you pass out right there on the sidewalk!
40.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Allisonfaye:

I very familiar with low blood sugar (hypoglycemia - and in my case reactive hypoglycemia).

The biggest thing is to eat right - the problem is that much of the things in the common american diet are not right.

While not a cure-all; I belive that you should do a quick search on "The Glycemic Index" and pick up a (or several) books on low glycemic index diets.

The glycemic index is a rating of how fast a food item or type will hit your bloodstream as blood sugar. It is often related to how long the food item will hang arround as well.

Low glycemic index foods more gradually supply blood sugar - and in most cases hang arround for a long time. Thus a proper diet on low glycemic index foods provides steady blood sugar. Many people also find that they can loose weight as well as they don''t get a "hunger crunch" due to lack of blood sugar.

Often, people with low blood sugar also do better by eating 6 or 8 times a day (small servings or snacks) as well. The key here is to learn to eat smaller portions when you do this so that you are not eating more food. Unfortunately, I have had difficulties with that. But, I know others who have done so I keep that in my mind as the goal to get to.

Best of luck with this. Let me know if I can help.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results