shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone feel guilty about spending these days?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, no guilt here. I''ve been buying less clothing lately (sort of) but that''s just because I''m saving up for wedding stuff. I also like to think of spending money as me helping the economy!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
No guilt here either. I only buy what makes me happy at the price that makes sense. Now and before the economic crisis.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually, I feel very guilty. Several of my co-workers are going through really tough times, and about 60-70% of my husband''s office lost their jobs. They''re having no luck even getting interviews. Several of them are young couples with new babies and new homes. I just don''t feel right spending money on things that aren''t necessary.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 10:12:09 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 2/21/2009 6:13:24 PM
Author: MC
Thanks. The pair I bought were $158. . . not the most expensive of their styles. Recently Nordstrom Rack had a bunch for $99 a pair! Unfortunely none of them fit right.
23.gif
$158 bucks for a pair of jeans? guess i''m too old. i don''t know these expensive brand names.
34.gif
You don''t even need to know the brands, just try them on and experience them in every day life! Seriously. I bought a pair of cheap gap jeans for under $40 and a pair of 7''s for around $150 and guess which pair are still holding strong after three years!
2.gif

You DO get your money''s worth for *grown up* clothes
2.gif
(It''s just an initially painful expense, but worth it in the long-run)

To add to what TravelingGal said regarding baby clothes. . .I NEVER buy expensive clothes for my kids. Banana Republic had cashmere sweaters for babies for $50! That is ridiculous. My kids wear Old Navy, Kid Gap, and Gymboree, and from experience, the jeans only last through one child (regardless of how much I spend), but the shirts last through both kids. My older son has tons of cool shirts, and my younger son wears all of his brother''s old shirts PLUS I buy him new shirts too, so basically he has more than he can wear. I''d never spend $100 on a shirt for either of my kids OR for myself.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 10:19:48 PM
Author: TravelingGal

DF, you don''t even want to know how much you can spend on garbage for babies these days. My friend just bought her 15 month old a $100 cotton long sleeved shirt. It was cute, and she rarely spends money on herself (and makes good money) but it still is a lot of money to spend on something a kid is only going to wear a couple of times.
Oh, I''m sure you can buy classy stuff for a baby, but it shocks me how much $ a parent is willing to spend on a young child. One of the sweetest little girls in my son''s class wears *Chanel* and *Juicy Coutre* to Kindergarten class. A class where they are running around with watercolors and markers and making a tremendous mess. My son has the cutest cream colored dinosaur shirt and I am always panicking it''s going to get stained. . .I think I paid $15 for it. . .not $100!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I was with my gay dad group and someone brought up the same question. And the consensus among us was that once you have kids there''s some kind of mental block that won''t let you buy anything for yourself. I think right now I just feel that I can go without. However, I will spend on the twins and never really think twice about it.

My number 1 weakness is Baby Gap. I can''t tell y''all how much money I spend in there.

I also think you should go ahead and buy yourself the jeans. I realized that when I was getting ready for spring that I haven''t bought new jeans in I think a little over a year and I decided that I was going to get me a pair. But I think that''s a testament to how long a good pair (or three or four) will last. I really like Sevens also, and I decided that I''m going to replace mine. I have a lot of basics that I''m going to replace.

Another great option would be a pair of APC New Standards. Have you ever tried raw denim before?

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 12:10:42 AM

DF, you don''t even want to know how much you can spend on garbage for babies these days. My friend just bought her 15 month old a $100 cotton long sleeved shirt. It was cute, and she rarely spends money on herself (and makes good money) but it still is a lot of money to spend on something a kid is only going to wear a couple of times.
Oh, I''m sure you can buy classy stuff for a baby, but it shocks me how much $ a parent is willing to spend on a young child. One of the sweetest little girls in my son''s class wears *Chanel* and *Juicy Coutre* to Kindergarten class. A class where they are running around with watercolors and markers and making a tremendous mess. My son has the cutest cream colored dinosaur shirt and I am always panicking it''s going to get stained. . .I think I paid $15 for it. . .not $100!

I am so guilty of this . . .

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes and No.

My dearly departed mom used to save and scrimp and when she died, we found a bunch of new clothes that she never wore! She had some diamonds but only wore them on special occasions. My dad has always been very frugal too. I used to be very scared of being poor (that's another story altogether), so I was very frugal growing up (i used to save practically 70-80% of my salary). But, after seeing what happened with my mom, I thought to myself: Life is too short and you can't take it to the grave with you. Morbid, I know!

I also think as long as you've got at least a year's salary in emergency funds and you've saved and built up your retirement funds so that you know you're not going to be destitute, and you're not living beyond your means, then you're fine with spending a few hundred dollars here and there. No need to feel guilty, IMHO.

I've developed a penchant for designer clothes, bags and shoes but tend to only buy them at steep discounts (at least 50% off, more often 70-80% discount. I usually wait until almost the sale is almost finished, then I swoop in, LOL). My justification is that i find designer clothes and shoes last a lot longer than non-branded ones and look darn good on me too!!
9.gif
. When I buy them full-priced, I do feel guilty but limit myself to those full priced items to 5 or 6 a year.

As far as diamonds are concerned, because of the current state of the economy, I've more or less stopped. When things do pick up and our investments regain their values, however....
9.gif

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t feel guilty but we have certainly tightened our belts so as to speak. We have cancelled one overseas holiday last year but will be going to Europe in June where we hope the Aussie dollar is more value than the USA.
Both DH and I are in industries that will benefit from this recession as people are more likely to seek medical and psychological assistance in tough times. But Dh is worried abut the the banks calling in loans so is frantically paying back debt and restructuring.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Guilty... not really. I''m buying less, but I have been for a while now. But when I need something, I buy it, and I''ve always been a bargain hunter so that hasn''t changed. It''s just been easier to find a bargain. I actually feel guilty if I save too much. Going to the shops, even driving around, I see so many stores and shops and restaurants closing. And I think, speng too much is a huge problem, but spending too little right now is too.

John was laid off but we''re still okay, especially since we aren''t saving for a wedding. So, we''re trying to balance too much with too little. We''re saving more than we would probably be if it weren''t for the economy, though.

I don''t know if it makes sense to anyone else.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I''m a full time student who works part-time and D lost his job last year and has been doing some part time work but we have nothing major coming in so we''re both being very careful. We''re lucky in that we both saved a ton of money when we were working full time so we have no problems in that way and aren''t financially stuck, but we''re both really taking it easy on the spending stakes.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe more aware, but not guilty. Too tell you the truth I''ve actually spent more lately. We paid off our Heloc (we put in 12K worth of new windows a year and a half ago) and so things I felt I couldn''t buy we have recently, like new kids clothes, bunk bed, a few things around the house. My feeling is always, set your financial goals, and if you are fulfilling those you shouldn''t feel guilty about what is left over. Obviously if you feel like you are squandering money it is perfectly acceptable to reevaluate your goals and put more money towards savings, charity, etc till you feel it is a good balance.
My goal this year is to beef up our emergency savings account and update my wardrobe
1.gif
. That money will come out of my "jewelry" budget but to tell you the truth I need clothes more than jewelry at this point.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 10:44:45 PM
nope, i don't feel guilty. if i like it and have the money, i'll buy it. can't take it with you. the older chinese generation just save,save,save and don't spend a dime in their whole life.
nuts.gif
when they go belly up, the kids will do all the spending for them. dinner time!!
If you don't fly first class your kids will
2.gif
(My parents love that one!)

I would def say we are paying attention to what we are spending. But honestly, we always have. We enjoy our nice things and trips, but we are well aware of what's ahead of us and are just trying to curb our grand ideas for the moment.
I never feel guilty about our purchases... we really think things out before we buy anything. The only time I ever feel guilty is when friends of ours get wierd about the things we have or do. I get a lot of comments bc of all the traveling we do. I don't feel guilty that we do it, but sometimes I feel bad that they can't. Does that even make sense? LOL

I've always been the one to not want to spend money on big ticket things, truthfully I'm kinda cheap when it comes to buying things for myself. But Big numbers get me all emotional... This is no joke, we have been looking at new cars, and FI wants something pretty spiffy. I love the car a ton, but tears actually come to my eyes when it comes to discussing the cost of it. I even cried when he bought me my diamond
40.gif
... Silly I know (You should have seen me trying to explain the tears to Mark...). We obvi wouldn't be buying these things if it was a stretch, but sometimes I get so worked up over these big purchases, and FI never blinks an eye. I think it's bc he deals with such large figures everyday.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
No not at all, if I need or want something within reason I get it. I am not working atm so that does impact a lot of things that I would normally buy but don''t at the momment however once I get a new job I will have no issues spending up again.

If you have it and can spend do so without guilt otherwise it will just get worse.

Harriet What is that beautiful stone in your avatar - it looks like a ray of yummy sunshine :D

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Not guilty, but probably only because I am being very judicious right now. Still spending, but only on the things that are necessary and/or really make sense. Since we''re living overseas this year and have the opportunity to travel, we''re still doing it, since I would kick myself later if I let this chance slip by. But other mini luxuries have fallen by the wayside, definitely - no new handbags, no just-for-kicks clothes shopping, far fewer dinners/lunches out, etc. And some really big ticket items that would have been nice to do (redecorating some rooms next year, a new car) have been pushed in my mental spreadsheet to 2010 or beyond, depending on the economy. I''m trying to be good
17.gif
1.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I don''t feel guilty when I buy things but I am putting more thought into my purchases these days. Buying stuff you can''t afford and using credit is probably a bad idea right now, but if everyone keeps holding back on getting the things they need that is bad for jobs and the economy. So go out and buy some jeans Harriet and enjoy them!

Mrs.Guz

Shiny_Rock
My husband has NOT told me to cut back but I am.

Hubby just laid off 40 people in his small company.

I spend much too much money on clothing, shoes, accessories, house decorating, dining out in restaurants and trips/vacations.

We also have 2 sons in private colleges.

We just bought land to build a 2nd home which was to be started in May but we are holding of on this for now.

This crisis in the economy has been a real eye opener for me.

Sorry to say it but I think that most of us (including me) spend much to much money on material things that we do NOT need.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
not at all, spending just helps the economy

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
nope, i don''t feel guilty. if i like it and have the money, i''ll buy it. can''t take it with you. the older chinese generation just save,save,save and don''t spend a dime in their whole life.
nuts.gif
when they go belly up, the kids will do all the spending for them. dinner time!!
Aren''t you part of the "older chinese generation?"
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC,
I like your amortisation argument.

Deelight,
It''s a yellow Danburite. Thanks!

I recognise that I''m behaving irrationally, especially since I''m still collecting gems and travelling. I just can''t get rid of the Guilt!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 1:10:00 AM
Author: pennquaker09

Date: 2/22/2009 12:10:42 AM

I am so guilty of this . . .
Penn - Part of the reason I won''t spend very much on kids'' clothes is because I have grease/stain issues. It''s an OCD trait where I will chase my boys around the house with hand wipes to be sure there isn''t even a tiny stain on their clothes. If anything gets on their clothes, I toss the items! lol My husband says I have a "problem!"

Are you planning for more kids? I thought you posted something before??? If so, than "investing" in a few nicer clothing items for kids makes sense since often items can be handed down. I''m not a huge fan of "hand-me-downs" as my younger son''s main wardrobe, so as ridiculous as this is, I buy my younger all new clothes, plus he has his brother''s shirts, and his dresser is about ready to explode! Sometimes the drawers won''t close! lol

Harriet - My goal for next year is to figure out a way to write off my jeans on my taxes as "work uniforms." lol Also, certain footwear such as Merrell''s since I will be on my feet all day.
3.gif

Have you made a decision about your jeans yet?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC,
I'll check, but I don't think it can be done. If it could, my former colleagues and I would have done so.
I'll pick up a couple of pairs if they're on sale.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 3:13:53 PM
Author: Harriet
MC,
I'll check, but I don't think it can be done. If it could, my former colleagues and I would have done so.
I'll pick up a couple of pairs if they're on sale.
hehehe Yeah, I know.
3.gif
I thought that certain services, such as hair cuts, can be written off if a person is in a profession requiring a certain image they need to maintain? There are some ways of bending the rules. . .possibly.

I'll be an independant contractor, so trying to find as many deductions as possible is going to be imperative!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Being an independent contractor makes it even harder. Unlike an agent, the principal cannot control the manner in which the work is performed, which would probably include wardrobe.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yes, I feel terribly guilty as I am a shopaholic and I love gems and designer handbags. I have no debt but I just feel that money could have been better spent especially with the economy in this state. I have just started an aggressive savings plan -- I am putting away 40% of my salary into savings and long term investments. With practically everything "invest-able" on sale - equities, properties etc, it makes more sense to put my money aside now for making investments in the next couple of years when the market has somewhat bottomed out. I am on the lookout for a nice property in a nice location and intends to purchase another one before 2012 and that''s what driving me to save as I don''t intend to take a huge loan on the properties. The other 60% will pay for my share of the family''s contribution towards the car, the house and the kid''s school fees and will afford me some nice shopping every month and a designer handbag every 2-3 months (depending on which designer). I have been buying almost a bag a month on average and that''s just crazy!

As for those pair of jeans, I''d say buy it as a good pair of jeans with an excellent fit can be hard to find and would last for years.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
No, I don''t. My husband and I are very practical people and we try to make purchases based on need, not want. So when we buy something we want, we probably saved and waited a long time for it. And when we get it, we enjoy it.

The only time I feel guilty is if I make impulse purchases that don''t serve a purpose other than instant gratification.

Or as I like to call it, "mini-therapy".
3.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I do sometimes. I bought a very cute trench coat yesterday. It was not on sale. The SA gave me ten percent off anyhow. I feel like I should have asked for 20% off. It still bothers me. So, we won't eat out for a while and in my mind that will balance it out.

I would not call it guilt but I do often make myself sell something if I am buying something else. So since I bought the coat, I might sell off a cute LV wallet I am not using.

I already sold off my Tiffany silver jewelry and in early 08 I sold off some Faberge things I had.

I go on this way a lot. When the economy was good I hated spending too. Sometimes I want to sell off all my stuff and have nothing. I have always been like this, even when I was a kid.

So I guess I am nuts.
10.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 6:36:07 PM
Author: Beacon
I do sometimes. I bought a very cute trench coat yesterday. It was not on sale. The SA gave me ten percent off anyhow. I feel like I should have asked for 20% off. It still bothers me. So, we won''t eat out for a while and in my mind that will balance it out.

I would not call it guilt but I do often make myself sell something if I am buying something else. So since I bought the coat, I might sell off a cute LV wallet I am not using.

I already sold off my Tiffany silver jewelry and in early 08 I sold off some Faberge things I had.

I go on this way a lot. When the economy was good I hated spending too. Sometimes I want to sell off all my stuff and have nothing. I have always been like this, even when I was a kid.

So I guess I am nuts.
10.gif
Haha...so true. Or in my mind, "I won''t buy any jewelry for a while.".

No, you''re not nuts. You''re a woman. As I jokingly tell my husband, "I want it all and I want it NOW."
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2009 2:33:14 PM
Author: Harriet

nope, i don''t feel guilty. if i like it and have the money, i''ll buy it. can''t take it with you. the older chinese generation just save,save,save and don''t spend a dime in their whole life.
nuts.gif
Aren''t you part of the ''older chinese generation?''
9.gif
old,but not "older generation",never been a saver in my life.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
So, SO incredibly guilty. Especially because I''m a full-time student while my fiance is supporting us both. Granted, I don''t have student loans to pay back, but I''m certainly not earning any money that can go toward paying rent or buying groceries.
We''ve been dining out a lot less, too. It''s better for our health and waistlines this way anyway, but we''re semi-foodies and it''s been a little bit tragic giving up our delicious culinary adventures!!
9.gif

I had to return some PJs to the Gap today and there was NO ONE shopping in the store -- and this is a location I''ve never been where there wasn''t a line to pay. I''d like to think it''s the weather, or disappointing uninspired styles
2.gif
...but I think it may be the economy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results