shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you take sick days?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My previous employer did not offer sick leave. If I am sick, I had to use a vacation day. It's one of the many reasons I am no longer with that company. I am rarely sick but when I am sick, it is really terrible (chills, complete body ache down to finger joint pain, the works) so I take a day off.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
So, I am technically not allowed to take a sick day. I have to make the hours up - ideally during that academic year (Jul 1-Jun 30). I was in my third trimester of pregnancy towards the end of the academic year in 2018. I caught a terrible cold (to this day I don't know how, and my husband never caught it which just seems weird). It caused my asthma to flare up and my allergies also tend to flare at that time of year. I was also 8 months pregnant and my schedule had been adjusted (somewhat) to reduce the chances of my job putting me into early labor so I was only supposed to work every other day and was scheduled such that I already was working every other day. I decided I simply could not make it to work one day and a colleague covered for me. I asked HR what I should do since it was mid-June, the year closed on June 30 and there was absolutely no way I could work an extra shift. I was told that I could come back from FMLA early to make it up or could squeeze it into the month after the end of my FMLA. Such a kick in the teeth, since I'd been there for 4 years and had 12 weeks of sick time banked and I couldn't even take the day.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
My sick days are usually migraine related, so be it working from home, or going into the office in normal times, I'm not productive with a migraine, and take the necessary time off to recover. Some times a partial day, sometimes a full day, sometimes even two days. :/

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My previous employer did not offer sick leave. If I am sick, I had to use a vacation day. It's one of the many reasons I am no longer with that company. I am rarely sick but when I am sick, it is really terrible (chills, complete body ache down to finger joint pain, the works) so I take a day off.

How is this legal ?
Is sick leave not enshrined in emplyment law in your country ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, I am technically not allowed to take a sick day. I have to make the hours up - ideally during that academic year (Jul 1-Jun 30). I was in my third trimester of pregnancy towards the end of the academic year in 2018. I caught a terrible cold (to this day I don't know how, and my husband never caught it which just seems weird). It caused my asthma to flare up and my allergies also tend to flare at that time of year. I was also 8 months pregnant and my schedule had been adjusted (somewhat) to reduce the chances of my job putting me into early labor so I was only supposed to work every other day and was scheduled such that I already was working every other day. I decided I simply could not make it to work one day and a colleague covered for me. I asked HR what I should do since it was mid-June, the year closed on June 30 and there was absolutely no way I could work an extra shift. I was told that I could come back from FMLA early to make it up or could squeeze it into the month after the end of my FMLA. Such a kick in the teeth, since I'd been there for 4 years and had 12 weeks of sick time banked and I couldn't even take the day.

FFS :(2

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hardly ever. Two reasons for that; first is that because I am outside a lot my immune system is very high so I don't get sick often. But even if I'm not feeling well, I work alone so no risk of transmission or anything like that. I just work and work and work :saint:

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I own my own business so I get no money if I don't work.It takes something really serious to keep me from my daily grind=)2

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How is this legal ?
Is sick leave not enshrined in emplyment law in your country ?

The great old US of A. There's hardly any laws helping employees. The employer is not required to provide vacation days, paid sick leave, and such.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I do take sick days. My job has an abundance of sick days/personal days. I am so thrilled that I am not pressured to work sick. However, I am a "one-man" department reporting to the government and if something misses a deadline, our region can be monetarily penalized during a competitive grant process. Timeliness is awarded points. So, I won't drop the ball and if I must work sick, I will. The show must go on.

I spent years in retail and know that front line workers can be treated terribly. To the point where if someone tried to call in sick, their job is threatened. Fast food is the worst for this - some employees making food and running back and forth to the bathroom sick. I work hard now and make "okay" money, but the jobs where I worked hardest in the most inhospitable environment were the lowest paid. This has always seemed so wrong.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do take sick days. My job has an abundance of sick days/personal days. I am so thrilled that I am not pressured to work sick. However, I am a "one-man" department reporting to the government and if something misses a deadline, our region can be monetarily penalized during a competitive grant process. Timeliness is awarded points. So, I won't drop the ball and if I must work sick, I will. The show must go on.

I spent years in retail and know that front line workers can be treated terribly. To the point where if someone tried to call in sick, their job is threatened. Fast food is the worst for this - some employees making food and running back and forth to the bathroom sick. I work hard now and make "okay" money, but the jobs where I worked hardest in the most inhospitable environment were the lowest paid. This has always seemed so wrong.

This is so true. The worst jobs are those with the lowest pay and lack of job security and high stress as they are treated poorly and not in control of their work environment.

We need to do better. I have always agreed with the quote "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”

And of course, IMO, that more than translates to human beings who are the most vulnerable in part due to their socioeconomic status. Just look around and see how awful their job conditions can be and that speaks volumes about us as a nation. The opposite of civilized imo. :(

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
This is so true. The worst jobs are those with the lowest pay and lack of job security and high stress as they are treated poorly and not in control of their work environment.

We need to do better. I have always agreed with the quote "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”

And of course, IMO, that more than translates to human beings who are the most vulnerable in part due to their socioeconomic status. Just look around and see how awful their job conditions can be and that speaks volumes about us as a nation. The opposite of civilized imo. :(

We (USA) are one of the last countries that have no universal laws to protect all workers with sick leave. I agree so wholeheartedly - we need to treat everyone with respect and care.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We (USA) are one of the last countries that have no universal laws to protect all workers with sick leave. I agree so wholeheartedly - we need to treat everyone with respect and care.

Yes! And, please forgive me with being on the soapbox about this issue, we need to become a No Kill nation regarding the animals. No healthy animal should be murdered simply because they are incovenient. It goes hand in hand. We need to have more empathy as a nation and give a damn about everyone. Not just ourselves and our immediate circles. :(

Everyone deserves respect and dignity. Everyone has a right to pursue happiness and everyone has a right to good health care. But I digress. You and I and many others here are on the same page.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yah
Sick people making fast food :(2

I had a reasonably well meaning manager once
Id call in sick with asthma weezing away
he's say if you feel better latter ill come get you.

That always made me just get up, shower and box on and go to work

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results