• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1320888902|3058278 said:
Maisie|1320888515|3058268 said:
missy|1320888333|3058264 said:
Maisie|1320887976|3058258 said:
I believe we aren't allowed to have religious discussions here but let me say that I don't class myself as a 'good christian'. I am a saved by grace sinner. :bigsmile: (bet this gets deleted!)

Sorry Maisie...I just don't see how being religious (or not) makes one a good person. Are you a kind person, a loving person, an empathetic person, a generous person, etc. That is what makes someone a good person...in my mind anyway. (bet this gets deleted too :cheeky: )

I reported my own comment because I know I crossed the line in posting it. I'm such a chicken!

But in answer to your question, I feel like I am a good person. But I don't go around saying I am a good christian. :))

LOL Maisie. You reported your own post which btw doesn't seem offensive in the least. :halo:
From what I have read on PS I agree you seem like a lovely person. My point was that I am not sure what religion has to do with being a good person in any case...

ETA My original point was in agreeing with Kenny over the use of the term Holiday cards in his poll so as not to exclude anybody. And then I just went on to share how sometimes I do feel excluded by people IRL (and yeah, it is an unpleasant feeling) when I am around people not familiar with Jewish culture etc. And this happens more often than you think because my dh is (a recovering as per him) Catholic and lots of family/friends are Christian and believe it or not some don't know many Jewish people. So I can empathize with others who sometimes feel excluded by mainstream society for (so many) other reasons.

I totally did report myself. I know its forbidden to discuss religion on PS and I voilated the rules.

I'm sorry you feel excluded. That makes me sad. It might surprise you to learn that I wear a star of David necklace to remind me to pray for Israel and the Jewish people. Does that make me extra lovely? :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
texaskj|1320889414|3058286 said:
Wait a minute! Kenny, what do you do?

I'm an atheist so I send out "Nothing Cards", but I don't put stamps on them.
Hahah.
Just kidding.

Actually, is discussing atheism discussing religion? - (Kenny's George Carlin question for the day.) :bigsmile:

Seriously, we have not sent out cards in around 10 years.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Hum, interesting post as usuall Kenny, Ok yes I still send out cards to family and friends it's Merry Christmas( they're harder and harder to find), to our customers, distributors whom I don't know personally or their religious beleifs, it's Happy Holidays, Season Greetings. I just want to add though that it makes me sad that we don't hear Merry Christmas so often anymore.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1320890083|3058295 said:

Hahah.
Just kidding.

Actually, is discussing atheism discussing religion? - (Kenny's George Carlin question for the day.) :bigsmile:

So do you celebrate anything at that time of year? Or is it just business as usual?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1320889741|3058290 said:
missy|1320888902|3058278 said:
Maisie|1320888515|3058268 said:
missy|1320888333|3058264 said:
Maisie|1320887976|3058258 said:
I believe we aren't allowed to have religious discussions here but let me say that I don't class myself as a 'good christian'. I am a saved by grace sinner. :bigsmile: (bet this gets deleted!)

Sorry Maisie...I just don't see how being religious (or not) makes one a good person. Are you a kind person, a loving person, an empathetic person, a generous person, etc. That is what makes someone a good person...in my mind anyway. (bet this gets deleted too :cheeky: )

I reported my own comment because I know I crossed the line in posting it. I'm such a chicken!

But in answer to your question, I feel like I am a good person. But I don't go around saying I am a good christian. :))

LOL Maisie. You reported your own post which btw doesn't seem offensive in the least. :halo:
From what I have read on PS I agree you seem like a lovely person. My point was that I am not sure what religion has to do with being a good person in any case...

ETA My original point was in agreeing with Kenny over the use of the term Holiday cards in his poll so as not to exclude anybody. And then I just went on to share how sometimes I do feel excluded by people IRL (and yeah, it is an unpleasant feeling) when I am around people not familiar with Jewish culture etc. And this happens more often than you think because my dh is (a recovering as per him) Catholic and lots of family/friends are Christian and believe it or not some don't know many Jewish people. So I can empathize with others who sometimes feel excluded by mainstream society for (so many) other reasons.

I totally did report myself. I know its forbidden to discuss religion on PS and I voilated the rules.

I'm sorry you feel excluded. That makes me sad. It might surprise you to learn that I wear a star of David necklace to remind me to pray for Israel and the Jewish people. Does that make me extra lovely? :lol:

Thanks Maisie. No worries though. I feel excluded only rarely because we don't hang around people who make me (us) feel that way. Life is too short and precious to waste time in the company of people who are insensitive. And I am not (to borrow Monarch's term from another thread, hope you don't mind Monnie) thin skinned by any means. So if someone makes me feel funny that is a good reason not to be around them.

Sorry if I violated PS rules Ella.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mind. ;))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1320890285|3058299 said:
kenny|1320890083|3058295 said:

Hahah.
Just kidding.

So do you celebrate anything at that time of year? Or is it just business as usual?

MY SO LOVES Christmas so we get a tree, decorate the house and the front yard and exchange presents, but it's all for him.
Just another day to me.

My favorite part is all the colored lights at night.
Purdy. :love:

I celebrate every day, especially since beating cancer. :wavey:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Just keep religion out of the thread moving forward and you'll be fine. ;))

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i say "happy holidays" and i send holiday cards.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't send out Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or Holiday cards-too lazy!

For the record, I think the wording of your poll was perfectly reasonable and inclusive, kenny. And your post with the list of world religions gave me the lolz. :lol:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I love sending out cards, it's one of my very favorite things about celebrating the holidays, and I think it's sweet that people want a photo of us each year for their wall/fridge/etc. Last year, we had our photo in Oct. so decided to send out Thanksgiving cards. This confused people, but it was definitely unique. We were the only orange/yellow card on some refrigerators, that's for sure! This year, I acquiesced to my husband's wishes and we are sending Christmas cards from Minted.com (we used TinyPrints.com last year). We took our photo in Oct. again, so I already have the cards tucked away and ready to mail come Dec. 1. :bigsmile:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1320887070|3058248 said:
kenny|1320883268|3058177 said:
amc80|1320883152|3058175 said:
kenny|1320881853|3058163 said:
Using "Christmas card" diminishes everyone else.
It also sends a subliminal but powerful message that everyone ought to be a Christian, which is as problematic as everyone ought to be Muslim, or atheist.

If I were Jewish and somebody asked me if I sent out Christmas cards, how is that diminishing or offending me? I would just respond "no, but I send out Hanukkah cards." In know way would it make me feel like that person thought I should be Christian.

Gotcha.
"Holiday Card" has you covered in every situation.

Inclusion is better than exclusion.

If I was a Jew in temple speaking to fellow Jews I'd use the term Chanukah cards, if I were a Christian in church speaking to fellow Christians I'd use the term Christmas cards if I were speaking in a place I reach everyone (like Pricescope) I'd use a term that is as inclusive and respectful as possible, Holiday card.

I agree with Kenny here. I am Jewish and most of my life I have lived in NYC. But when I am not in a place where people are familiar with Jewish culture I find myself wincing at things they end up saying. I feel like time has turned back and I am somewhere in the past. It is a humbling feeling and none too pleasant. So while I do not take offense at the use of the term Christmas cards etc I can totally understand Kenny's sensitivity to those who are not in the majority and how they might feel. If I had a nickel for every time someone said that they were a good christian... ::)
And I know they are not trying to insult me but what does that mean? If you are not christian you cannot be good? Or is the implication that if you are christian you are good? I don't know but for some reason that term really gets me :knockout:
I'm not offended if someone sends us a Christmas card, but it makes me wonder *why* they chose to do it. We're Jewish. My father is a cantor. My mother is a Jewish educator (which means she attended the first three years of grad school with the rabbis and cantors, so it's a near-clerical position,) my sister is in grad school to become a rabbi. We celebrate Shabbat every Friday. Yadda yadda yadda. The people who know me enough to want to send me a card *should* know that I don't celebrate Christmas. SO, while it's not offensive, it is baffling.

That being said, I really do love the Christmas season--all the music and seasonal beverages :bigsmile: , so I don't mind the cards. They're so pretty and festive.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Haven, I'd guess it's because sending the Christmas card is part of the sender's celebration of the event. My friend is Muslim - she sends me a card at Eid, I send her a Christmas card.It's because we're thinking about each other. When we make a list of friends and loved ones to send cards to, we're on each others' list, whatever. I do think about friends and family in far-flung places at Christmas, and want to reach out to say so then, as she does at Eid. I love to receive her card and letter at Eid (and hope she's pleased to hear from me at Christmas).

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
We are Jewish but the vast majority of our friends are not. We send out New Year's cards. I enjoy getting cards, most friends do photo cards and it's fun to see how their families have changed over the past year. We are a military family and have friends all over the world that we don't see day to day but still consider close friends.
I don't get offended or anything to receive Christmas cards, since the intent of the sender is to share a family photo and let me know we are in their thoughts. I also love the Christmas season, the songs and sights, even though in our house, we celebrate Hanukkah.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1320956634|3058880 said:
Haven, I'd guess it's because sending the Christmas card is part of the sender's celebration of the event. My friend is Muslim - she sends me a card at Eid, I send her a Christmas card.It's because we're thinking about each other. When we make a list of friends and loved ones to send cards to, we're on each others' list, whatever. I do think about friends and family in far-flung places at Christmas, and want to reach out to say so then, as she does at Eid. I love to receive her card and letter at Eid (and hope she's pleased to hear from me at Christmas).

Yep, some people just like to send cards as little tokens. My kids' great grandmother loves to send out cards...she's sent the boys halloween cards, thanksgiving cards, valentines day cards, etc. The boys like that.

The only "cards" I really cannot stand are TEXT MESSAGE images (are those cards?) saying happy {insert holiday} with a picture they've forwarded from somewhere (not even a photo of a family member, just some random image). That's a bit weird and lazy.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I started sending out holiday cards last year and I actually really enjoy it. I like creating the card and writing a letter - trying to sum up the ridiculousness of my year in a page is fun, and trying to make it entertaining is a challenge!

When talking about them, I call them Christmas cards, but in reality, they're holiday cards - my friends are of all faiths and there are multiple holidays in a very small period of time, so to limit it to only wishing people a Merry Christmas seems silly to me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, good, now I can save that 44 cents since I now don't have to send Kenny a card! :bigsmile:

Over the years I sent Christmas cards every year or every other year, and I tried to include letters and pictures of the kids. But as life got more busy and kids got older, I have done it less and less. I think part of it is that in the past, the yearly Christmas card was my only contact with old college friends and some relatives who live far away. But now with FB and email, I can easily keep up with most of the people I want to. I should make an exception for elderly people who don't use the computer, but really the only ones I am close to, we do see during the holidays. Last year I sent something to say we had moved so that everyone had our new address, but that may be the last time. I do enjoy the cards others send with pictures and letters, but a printed card with names signed seems almost pointless to me! But we do celebrate Christmas in the religious sense.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The number of cards I send has gone down over the years but I still send cards to a few close relatives and friends.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results