AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Math. Maths sound British.

Reactions: caf

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Duke ad Duchess of Cornwall shall be known as the Duke and Duchess of Rothesay when in Scotland. And so math shall be known as maths when in Great Britain.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maths here in UK.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Math.

ilovemath.gif

Reason: "mathematics" is a mass noun that takes singular verbs and should, therefore, be abbreviated without the "s" in the end.

Whether or not you add an s at the end of the word is a matter of personal choice and culture, according to how you've been educated in school.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy - you’ve hit on another example of two cultures separated by a common language!

B450FDC6-F615-4AEF-840F-442FC48EBEC3.jpeg

That is why I don't judge one as better or superior but just different. It is (just like preferring OECs vs MRBs) a matter of personal choice and also what you learned in school. So comes down to cultural and personal preference.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a math minor so.... depends if we're discussing singular or plural.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say Mathematics for the full but Math for the short. Yeah, the product of two different school systems.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
oh, oh better go apologize to dh been yelling at him for the past 39 years that we say math not maths (drives me crazy when he says that lol) Yup 2 different school systems.

voce

Ideal_Rock
This depends on whether I'm referring to generic, indefinite (math) in an abstract sense or specific, definite (maths) in a concrete sense. It's the same situation with money and monies. Both are correct when they're being used correctly.

Abstract concepts are always singular. You would say and think freedom, not freedoms, unless you were prepared to list out which freedoms you mean, such as freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, etc.

But if you were prepared to think about the different maths, it's entirely equally valid a choice to list out the different maths instead of listing them individually. It would be equally valid and simply a matter of choice whether you say 1) onions and potatoes or 2) vegetables when asked what you put in the curry, besides meat. This is why, contrary to what The Guardian claims, the UK's broad usage of maths is no more logical than the US's broad usage of math.

I think most people are not thinking about whether they are referring to something in the abstract or in the concrete when they speak or write. Therefore, there's an uncountable number of mistakes in the usage of the word on both sides of the Atlantic. But come on, English is the bastard tongue, and every language has quirks that don't follow logical reason.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
We usually say math in Canada. Which is odd since we usually lean toward British spelling and pronunciation over American.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Math - in Canada.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missy - you’ve hit on another example of two cultures separated by a common language!

B450FDC6-F615-4AEF-840F-442FC48EBEC3.jpeg

I was reading just recently how our American friends use Zs in the written word while the English etc do not (which is why i like to do it) while Prince Charles does
English is such a confusing written language and with my spelling ability i have deep sympathy for anyone trying to learn it as a 2nd language

Ps i know There is no Z in maths :mrgreen2:

Last edited:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
or Mats if you from SE Asia, from recollection.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results