shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you own a loupe? How often do you use it to inspect?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The older regulars will know me as the girl with the 30x. I have mellowed a little bit on the louping, but I do look at least once a week, usually every few days or after a good whack. I carry it with me, which I am sure is even nuttier.

Despite babying the ish out of my rings, I still have to check!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't own a loupe on purpose. I'm neurotic enough.

Plus I'm not shy in the least. If I need to loupe something I get in the car and go to my nearest jeweler and borrow theirs.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
I do, I have had it for ages - its a triplet 10x so not very strong but I read that anything over 10x wouldn't make it onto a grading report and from time to time I have a go, but to be honest I'm not sure about my technique - when I finally get into focus I feel like my eyeball is straining too hard to see. Maybe I need to upgrade to higher than 10x. I would love to be loupe confident.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My stone is a VS1, though every pro so far that's seen it has said that was ridiculously harsh. It's 30x loupe clean. Which is remarkable. I will admit that when I am epically bored, I have sat in my car with it and just stared into the stone for an hour just checking it out and looking for inclusions.

...like I said. LOS-ER.

But I inspect my wedding band more than anything. I am terrifed of damaging one of the stones, or losing one. So Im always checking it.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1314481900|3002071 said:
My stone is a VS1, though every pro so far that's seen it has said that was ridiculously harsh. It's 30x loupe clean. Which is remarkable. I will admit that when I am epically bored, I have sat in my car with it and just stared into the stone for an hour just checking it out and looking for inclusions.

...like I said. LOS-ER.

But I inspect my wedding band more than anything. I am terrifed of damaging one of the stones, or losing one. So Im always checking it.

You need to get yourself a little si2 to keep in your handbag - at least when you loupe you'll have something to look at :bigsmile:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
30x about twice a month...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lottie UK|1314482005|3002074 said:

...like I said. LOS-ER.

You need to get yourself a little si2 to keep in your handbag - at least when you loupe you'll have something to look at :bigsmile:
lol some of the stones in my band are lower clarity. I do look at those.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

...like I said. LOS-ER.

That's awesome Lottie. Or how about this? http://highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=638 Would make a great pendant and give you HOURS of louping enjoyment!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I have about 6... 3 are my personal ones, 2 are for others to use as I am funny about people sticking their fingerprints all over and the last belongs to my 2 year-old daughter who is very into gemstones and already knows how to use it!

My favourite brand is Belomo - big, black-cased, fantastic Zeiss optics (Zeiss own 52% of the company - Belomo make sights for the military) and feels nice in my hand.

I have one in my gem tool-kit and the others in my handbags so I always have one on me - I get asked to look at peoples jewellery a lot and I use it in junk shops, jewellers etc.

I only use a x10, more than that is overkill and the depth of field is so small that it's easy to miss things. I have perfect vision anyway which possibly helps. If I want more magnification on things I can look at at home then I use a microscope.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1314482540|3002085 said:

...like I said. LOS-ER.

That's awesome Lottie. Or how about this? http://highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=638 Would make a great pendant and give you HOURS of louping enjoyment!

Oh my god Gypsy, looking at that I feel like I have been staring at the sun and have got those blacks specks floating around! I think that would make me feel very good at louping.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lottie UK|1314482688|3002090 said:
Oh my god Gypsy, looking at that I feel like I have been staring at the sun and have got those blacks specks floating around! I think that would make me feel very good at louping.

I know, right? ROFLMAO. I think I see a constellation or two in there. Amazing thing is... most of the Infinity I clarity stones are eyeclean!

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Are they really? I am the perfect candidate for that type of stone - my vision is terrible.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora|1314482653|3002089 said:
I have about 6... 3 are my personal ones, 2 are for others to use as I am funny about people sticking their fingerprints all over and the last belongs to my 2 year-old daughter who is very into gemstones and already knows how to use it!

My favourite brand is Belomo - big, black-cased, fantastic Zeiss optics (Zeiss own 52% of the company - Belomo make sights for the military) and feels nice in my hand.

I have one in my gem tool-kit and the others in my handbags so I always have one on me - I get asked to look at peoples jewellery a lot and I use it in junk shops, jewellers etc.

I only use a x10, more than that is overkill and the depth of field is so small that it's easy to miss things. I have perfect vision anyway which possibly helps. If I want more magnification on things I can look at at home then I use a microscope.
I also have a Belomo, that's my 10x. But the best part is that your little one is into gems and knows how to use it!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I have a 5x loupe that is actually a tool of my machinist husband. I keep wanting to get a loupe, but I WOULD become that obsessed woman who loupes everything all the time so I haven't made the purchase. And, I mean obsessed! Even with the 5x, I will inspect everything I own.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use printers loupes that are 5 and 10x for checking my work, but I sometimes just use my real one lol

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lottie UK|1314483244|3002108 said:
Are they really? I am the perfect candidate for that type of stone - my vision is terrible.

Surprisingly enough, they are. Not from all sides, but top down. I don't have terrible vision, but mine is starting to go. For a pendant or earrings I'd ADORE an Infinity I clarity. Save a bunch of money and get a fireball!

Sorry for the threadjack ame.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
No need to apologize!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't own one and I've actually never louped any of my stuff!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 10x from Dave Atlas' site that I carry with me in my purse. My shortsightedness makes it somewhat redundant wrt checking prongs and stuff though ;(

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a couple of loupes - I use them with every stone / jewelry purchase - but first I always check out the new stone with my eyes only in different lighting - if my first view of the new stone is at night then I wait until the next day after I've checked it out in daylight with my eyes before I do any louping.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 30x loupe as well as an idealscope. I LOVE playing with the idealscope and pack it with me everywhere. The gals at one jewelry shop started pulling out all their diamonds so we could all play with them :cheeky: :bigsmile:

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 10x loupe that I received along with the IS I bought. I use it when SO & I go looking at rings & stones. So much fun. The jewelers are usually impressed I bring my own. many confused by the IS though. lol

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think any poor jeweler that's worked with me, Jon probably more than anyone or Jim Summa...or David Kodner...lol, would say that there's a good and a bad to someone who walks in with their own loupe. Esp a 30x.

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
My ACA came with a H&A viewer which works as a loupe when you flip it around -not sure what strength it is though? It's really useful when cleaning the ring.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have two loops. One belonged to my dad and I think, IIRC, it's a 16X and I also have one from WF that came along with my H&A viewer.

I don't really use either...I think the H&A viewer is more fun!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
S has a 10x. I don't use it in public but sometimes I play with it and some of his loose stones at home.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 10X loupe, but only used it once to scope out my stone.. honestly I probably didn't know what i was looking for !

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 10x and inspect the tension set diamonds weekly.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have two 10X, one in my purse. I inspect every month or so.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LOVE my loupe - there's something very comforting about being able to double and triple check the condition! That said, I've definitely mellowed a little since I first discovered diamonds: now it's just the new pieces I loupe obsessively. Golden oldies get a rest from scrutiny unless I do something stupid, like dropping them ....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results