shape
carat
color
clarity

do you listen to musics from the 50's and 60's?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if yes...what are your favorite songs from those era?

i know,i know,85% of you PSers were not born yet... :bigsmile:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well..what kind? Country? Rock? Big band?

I grew up listening to old country and those Time Life compilation cassettes-remember those? My parents had tons of them..we never listened to the radio on the car, it was those tapes. I hated it when we were younger, but now, I like knowing those songs and it makes me feel good to hear them and be able to sing along. I can only think of a couple off the top of my head and only b/c they're on Stand By Me and I just watched it a couple weeks ago..Rockin Robin and that one..every day, it's a getting closer, going faster than a roller coaster, love like yours will surely come my way, hey hey..whatever the name of that is. Dad has a bunch of old country (Time Life of course) and I stole one that I love..it has She Stopped Loving Him Today and Honey on it and a whole bunch of others..I don't know how old those songs are tho.

Work has satellite radio and we usually listen to 50's on 5 and 60's on 6.

If they had a place in town that taught swing dancing I'd be all over it.

This from the girl who digs old Metallica.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES.

I LOVE the old Boleros recorded by Tres Ases in the mid 50s in Mexico.
I have 2 of their CDs and want more.
Sure, this music is over the top corny, but if you can forgive that it's gushing with feeling and emotion.

This music is just dripping with old world latin romance.
Marco Antonio Muñiz, their lead vocalist, recorded over 80 albums.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

BTW, their name translates three Aces, not three burros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNjW3q1exaI

3Ases.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heck yeah! Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, The Doors, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Kingston Trio, Frank Sinatra, Buddy Holly, some Elvis... speaking of Time Life Treasuries, I've got the Folk Song Collection of DVDs and that's always on rotation ("You Were On My Mind" and "If I Had A Hammer" are on repeat) and goes with us on on every road trip (along with Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, but that's early 1970s and an whole 'nother thread).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1309057968|2955190 said:
Heck yeah! Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, The Doors, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Kingston Trio, Frank Sinatra, Buddy Holly, some Elvis... speaking of Time Life Treasuries, I've got the Folk Song Collection of DVDs and that's always on rotation ("You Were On My Mind" and "If I Had A Hammer" are on repeat) and goes with us on on every road trip (along with Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, but that's early 1970s and an whole 'nother thread).

ain't nothing like the 70's music..40 yrs already?? seems like yesterday... ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S13ZLMNQBjc&feature=related

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I grew up listening to all kinds of stuff. My mom listened to it, so I had to too!

And my dad listened to classical. So I had to listen to that too.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I love The Beatles!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I love it! Quite a few tunes will be played at my wedding.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You bet! The Beatles. Otis Redding, especially Dock on the Bay, the Doors, Mamas & Papas (Cass Elliott had a wonderful voice, died far too soon), Love Buddy Holly. "American Pie!" Gets stuck in my head for days.

Remember Chubby Checker?? Hahaha!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have said no, until I refreshed my memory of how many of the songs I remember actually listening to on the radio of the 60's and early 70's.

The first song I remember liking on the radio was "Spinning Wheel" by Blood Sweat and Tears, and the next was "American Pie". I can still sing every word today.

Love all of Crosby, Stills & Nash - "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" anyone? - although they really should never open their mouths again, sadly. Time to pack it in guys.

Grew up listening to old CCR albums and some Deep Purple.

The Who, The Beatles, The Yardbirds, Dionne Warwick "Walk on By", Procul Harum - "Whiter Shade of Pale".

"The Sounds of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel

Too many to mention really. I guess I go back to that stuff because I no longer can find much popular music that has memorable melody, melodic range, lyrics, or complex harmony and rhythm. Or that doesn't scream or curse at me. It's probably out there somewhere, I've just not been able to find it much. Certainly not on the radio anymore.

I know it isn't 60's strictly speaking - more 70's - but when I compare modern pop/rock music to a band like Yes, for instance, the musicianship of the current stuff just isn't there. Of course songs like "Sympathy For The Devil" don't have much to recommend them either, and usually find me leaping, with no regard for injury, for the volume knob. Repetitive, melodically flat and annoying.

And like Freke, I grew up on LOTS of classical, which may be why I'm so demanding of good melodies.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
And like Freke, I grew up on LOTS of classical, which may be why I'm so demanding of good melodies.
A point I hadn't thought of, Karen. So did I & I still listen primarily to classical music on the radio. My mother used to make all 4 of us kids stop talking (screeching, hollering) during a movement she especially liked in whatever symphony she was listening to. "Silence! Listen to this...." Since moving south, I've developed a love for Blue Grass too, though I like it only live, not recorded, for some reason.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, sometimes.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And how could we forget Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass... :sun:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1309092327|2955325 said:
Love all of Crosby, Stills & Nash - "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" anyone? - although they really should never open their mouths again, sadly. Time to pack it in guys.
that song was dedicated to this singer.i love this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8jGFu7ys64

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I was the ONLY kid in grammer school who LOVED Bob Dylan {still do}. We're talking 5th grade. The Platters were waaaaay back, but I can still remember how golden their harmonies were. The Beatles, of course, THE DOORS, Marianne Faithfull, Donovan, Don McClean, a bit of Johnny Cash and yes, some Edith Piaf as I always fancied myself a great singer {I was definitely in the minority even back then}. The Byrds, Mammas and Pappas. I don't know why but I absolutely HATED Jimi Hendrix. Adored Janis Joplin. James Taylor.

Thanks for the swing down memory lane--the 40th anniversary of my 1st marriage is fast approaching {yikes, what the hell was I thinking?} and I've been thinking about that era alll day!

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I listen to music from the 50s and 60s (70s too). My parents played a ton of Motown and the Beatles when I was growing up (I’m 20).

Just going through my iTunes I have music from the 40s until now. Al Green, Aretha Franklin, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, Curtis Mayfield, Dionne Warwick, The Doors, Edith Piaf, Ella Fitzgerald, Elvis, The Four Tops, Frank Sinatra, James Brown, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Cash, Led Zeppelin, Maria Callas, The Mamas & The Papas, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, Marvin Gay, Mary Wells, Nat King Cole, Otis Redding, Patsy Cline, The Rolling Stones, Rosemary Clooney, Roy Orbison, Sam & Dave, Sam Cooke, Simon & Garfunkel, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Supremes, The Temptations and The Who.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1309117863|2955538 said:
ksinger|1309092327|2955325 said:
that song was dedicated to this singer.i love this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8jGFu7ys64

Wow. A melody you can remember and want to hum, a vocal range of more than 3 notes, no Celine Dion-esque screaming, and words you can actually hear and understand. What a concept.... I know I know, I'm hopelessly old-fashioned. ;))

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Burberrygirl|1309127154|2955605 said:
I listen to music from the 50s and 60s (70s too). My parents played a ton of Motown and the Beatles when I was growing up (I’m 20).

Just going through my iTunes I have music from the 40s until now. Al Green, Aretha Franklin, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, Curtis Mayfield, Dionne Warwick, The Doors, Edith Piaf, Ella Fitzgerald, Elvis, The Four Tops, Frank Sinatra, James Brown, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Cash, Led Zeppelin, Maria Callas, The Mamas & The Papas, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, Marvin Gay, Mary Wells, Nat King Cole, Otis Redding, Patsy Cline, The Rolling Stones, Rosemary Clooney, Roy Orbison, Sam & Dave, Sam Cooke, Simon & Garfunkel, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Supremes, The Temptations and The Who.

LOL! Now there's an anomaly in that list! Una Voce Poco Fa anyone? ;))

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I was born in 79 but I grew up with old rock n roll. My mom loved it so we listened to it all the time. Some of the best music was made in the 50s and 60s.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results