shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you lay out your clothes the night before?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inspired by Kenny's thread...I've thought about this, but haven't managed it yet. I spend quite a bit of time in the mornings rummaging, searching, trying to put a semi-decent outfit together - just jeans and an OK top, plus belts, undies, socks, etc. It adds stress to the day. I know it would be much easier to get my clothes ready the night before and put them in the bathroom, so I can just hit the shower without the jungle-hunt each morning. But I haven't done it yet.

Does anyone here put their clothes out the night before?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
nope but i always wear the same thing so its easy grab from 3 spots then go.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you have a bunch of each item, all in the same place, and at the end of each day, that set goes in the laundry basket and you reach for the next set? For your system to work, I guess you have to be good about a) keeping up with the laundry and b) always putting a dry load back where they belong. I'm not so organized!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
So you have a bunch of each item, all in the same place, and at the end of each day, that set goes in the laundry basket and you reach for the next set? For your system to work, I guess you have to be good about a) keeping up with the laundry and b) always putting a dry load back where they belong. I'm not so organized!

yep pretty much
I forgot socks so 4 items.
stink test if somerhing runs short

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Absolutely. I don't want to spend anytime in the AM trying to "match socks" for work. On my days off, no worries.

cheers--Sharon

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Put my clothes out the night before...

When I had a job, no...I would just pick out the leggings and top I was going to wear that morning. Yes super casual environment.

Now that I'm no longer employed I pretty much grab any t-shirt and comfy pants necessary so the neighbors don't see me in pajamas daily. Also a bra because they are low hanging fruit :)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do but after I decide what RHR to wear. :D I pick the ring first then put the clothes I want to wear at the edge of our closet. Anything that saves me time in the morning.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
most of my clothes are the same color... I have a pretty monochromatic wardrobe for daily wear. Now that I think about it,even with I have to dress up, its also pretty monochromatic...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I go to my office "like normal" then I definitely do. Not being a morning person, the last thing I want at 8 am is to have to steam a blouse or try to figure out if a particular scarf matches. Now... NO! I throw something on for my walk (which I try to get out of the way first thing) and then after my shower I stand in the closet for a while "air drying" while I decide, driven mostly by whether I have any zoom calls scheduled where people will actually see me (from the waist up anyway).

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I used to wake up at 6 to be out of the door by 6:30 for work I did! I'm assuming that will resume in September.

Q

Queenie60

I put them together "mentally" - I know what I have and what I feel like putting together for the next morning. Since I haven't gone to the office for about 90 days, it's been easy however I do miss wearing my business casual!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should, but I don't.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
When I worked in a strict clothing policy environment in a corporate setting, I picked out all my work outfits for the week every Sunday. Paired together top, pants, accessories, ironed the tops and hung them in order from M to F. It was beautiful.

I haven't worked again in a place that is that strict about clothing, even though its comfortable to wear casual everyday, I kind of miss the old times of being so organized.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I picked out all my work outfits for the week every Sunday. Paired together top, pants, accessories, ironed the tops and hung them in order from M to F. It was beautiful.

This was me when I was traveling for work. Google docs Master doc, new tab spreadsheet to plan each trip, cross referencing cells from the wardrobe inventory sheets (nerd alert) and then I’d do all that assembly and then pack the sets into the suitcase in the order in which they'd be worn. I always brought a ‘wild card’ outfit for days when (and this actually happened, yes, I have pictures) an attendee spilled his entire Venti Soy Machhiato on me in a mid-hallway crowd collision. Good times.

Now that life is on hold, there’s no need for me to plan tomorrow‘s outfit. My closet is hung in sections so I grab one piece from each area and go. Could do it in the dark (rarely up that early though.) It’s a uniform, of sorts: old Levi’s, white bodice, pointelle cardigan.

But my next question for the group is, do you have a Butler/Valet stand upon which to air out your clothing at the *end* of each day!?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have worn a uniform for almost all of my working life
sometimes i got my sox and undies out the night before but so long as i had a clean shirt and pants i was ready to go in about 2 min

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.
Eight fur factories roaming around means work clothes stay behind two sets of closed doors until the last possible minute.
Everything is decently organized in the drawers and closet, though, so it doesn’t usually take long to find things. I pick my clothes for the day whilst I brush my teeth and if I’ve got anything that needs a steam it comes into the bathroom with me when I shower. I can’t remember the last time I ironed - probably my last job interview!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only the day before we travel, then I have my outfit ready to save time on the morning of the flight. Otherwise, I don’t bother.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol I work in what I sleep in...I work from home and have for 11 year now..but yes when I went into the office I figured out what to wear the night before.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Pfffff!
I don't need to lay out work clothes.
I'm a pron star.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I don't.

I dress according to my mood (or according to the mood I want to have) and the weather so I make the decision about what to wear at that moment I am getting dressed.

I rarely buy clothes one has to iron so all my clothes are ready to go when I am generally.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
No.
Eight fur factories roaming around means work clothes stay behind two sets of closed doors until the last possible minute.
Everything is decently organized in the drawers and closet, though, so it doesn’t usually take long to find things. I pick my clothes for the day whilst I brush my teeth and if I’ve got anything that needs a steam it comes into the bathroom with me when I shower. I can’t remember the last time I ironed - probably my last job interview!

for 14 years i had to wear a red shirt to work (like a golf shirt)
anyway Tinky was a ginge and its not so obvesouse on a tee shirt
but for a couple of those years i had a mostly sit down side
my black chair would be covered in ginger cat hair

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
No I don't.

I dress according to my mood (or according to the mood I want to have) and the weather so I make the decision about what to wear at that moment I am getting dressed.

I rarely buy clothes one has to iron so all my clothes are ready to go when I am generally.

when i had a propper cotton shirt to wear (so much nicer in the summer) i would hang it up in the bathroom when i had a shower in the morning and it was wrinkle free

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
when i had a propper cotton shirt to wear (so much nicer in the summer) i would hang it up in the bathroom when i had a shower in the morning and it was wrinkle free

I bought a steamer a long time ago and when I had the motivation that really did the trick. But I am too lazy to do that on a regular basis and it doesn't matter anymore since I don't purchase anything that wrinkles anymore. And for the articles I have that do wrinkle Greg irons them for me. He's a very good DH. :love:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought a steamer a long time ago and when I had the motivation that really did the trick. But I am too lazy to do that on a regular basis and it doesn't matter anymore since I don't purchase anything that wrinkles anymore. And for the articles I have that do wrinkle Greg irons them for me. He's a very good DH. :love:

first time i was going to an extended family function including Gary's ex wife he ironed by shirt !

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's why I love dresses: grab & go, no wondering about matching. My wardrobe is pretty monochromatic, lots of solid colours and most shoes match. Easy peasy.

In winter time it's wool dresses plus leggings or thick thermo pantyhose plus boots. Still manageable without planning.

For the kids, on the other hand we put everything out the night before.

I hear so many horror stories about tantrums and endless discussions and four changes per morning... Parents regularly close to breakdown. For us it's picking out the outfit according to weather forecast the night before. Kids get their say , pick something they're comfortable with and no more discussion in the morning. Works well for us.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have been doing this since my primary school days (even though it was the same pinafore). The boys like this habit as well even though it's just jeans and tees/long sleeves, socks.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I usually lay out my workout clothes the night before as a tool to make sure I exercise first thing.
I do laundry daily and fold and put things away every day. I iron 2-3X's per week so it doesn't become a huge pile that I will ignore.

I only wear solid colors in natural fabric (cotton, silk, linen, cashmere) so pretty much everything can be worn together. This has simplified my life greatly. Fewer items and better quality.
But I usually choose my clothes after I get up and work out, based on my activities for the day and the weather.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually lay out my workout clothes the night before as a tool to make sure I exercise first thing.
I do laundry daily and fold and put things away every day. I iron 2-3X's per week so it doesn't become a huge pile that I will ignore.

I only wear solid colors in natural fabric (cotton, silk, linen, cashmere) so pretty much everything can be worn together. This has simplified my life greatly. Fewer items and better quality.
But I usually choose my clothes after I get up and work out, based on my activities for the day and the weather.

I do laundry daily too! :)

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Daily?! You and Elizabeth can't be running full loads every day right? Isn't that a waste of water and electricity?

This line of thought made me remember my thread from 2015 about navy showers. We discussed how long people took in the shower. I also Googled it, and some people take forty-minute showers! :-o

I had a friend to stay once, and she had a twenty-minute shower if she wasn't washing her hair, and forty minutes if she was. No water left for anyone else, and SUCH a waste.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
We cook 3 meals a day at home and avoid using paper products in the kitchen--no paper napkins or paper towels.
So every 3 days or so we have a load with perhaps 15-20 napkins and at least 12-15 dish towels.
Our high efficiency stackable washer allows us to set the water level, so we run it with the amount needed for what we wash. That stackable is on the smaller size as far as capacity. I save up the kitchen linens until the stackable is full.

Our non-kitchen laundry is a minimum of two sets of adult clothes plus 2 towels daily. Plus a set of workout clothes, jammies and the occasional 3rd or 4th towel if we shower twice due to exercise or yard work. The main (clothing) washer is also adjustable on the water level. I rarely run a small load---only if I have something (like a dog blanket) that I don't want mixed with our clothing and towels.

Additionally, we are on a well so we are using water pumped from our aquifer, not city water that has consumed a lot of energy being processed and distributed. Most items are washed in cold water.

I don't know how much energy is used to run a large load of laundry versus a medium load. But most days our 'regular' laundry is a large load. And I save up the kitchen linens until the stackable is funning full.

When we had 4 of the kids living here we were doing probably 20 loads per week, including sheets and towels in the main laundry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results