clarity

Do you have a famous relative?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool stories!

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
My brother is quite a well known author in Australia. Poet, novelist and essayist.Or as well known as anyone who writes literature is known in Australia - which isn't very! There isn't a lot of "fame" around anymore as he has had a couple of severe strokes but even now he is still interesting and is still able to write wonderful emails to friends. Without his literary background I really don't think he would have anything much in his life now but instead it is very different but still in it's own way quite rich.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think Kenny is right about DNA testing
its a can of worms for sure
no one seems to be able to keep our data safe
and I've thought about it but am really glad i never did the whole Ancestry.com thing

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ummm… I'm related by marriage to Lizzy Gardiner who is an Australian costume designer, who has been working in Hollywood since the early 1990s. Noted for her originality, she is best known for her American Express gold card dress which she wore to collect her Academy Award for Best Costume Designer at the 67th Academy Awards in 1995 for her work on The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Her highest profile film was Mission: Impossible 2 in 2000 for which she designed the costumes.
Lizzy_gardiner.jpeg.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ummm… I'm related by marriage to Lizzy Gardiner who is an Australian costume designer, who has been working in Hollywood since the early 1990s. Noted for her originality, she is best known for her American Express gold card dress which she wore to collect her Academy Award for Best Costume Designer at the 67th Academy Awards in 1995 for her work on The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Her highest profile film was Mission: Impossible 2 in 2000 for which she designed the costumes.
Lizzy_gardiner.jpeg.jpg

She sounds fun!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH’s cousin was a guitarist in the band called “my chemical romance”. They disbanded 6 years ago but they’re getting back together for a reunion tour.

A2C32865-D34F-45AC-85A2-FAD94B092743.jpeg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lizzy_gardiner.jpeg.jpg

She’s adorable!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I am the 11th great-granddaughter of William Brewster (Mayflower elder) through his daughter Patience. There some other famous folks way back in the day. Our branch seemed to be more infamous than famous and blue-collar for the last few generations.

Have you all tried the "Are we related" app from Ancestry?many famous folks on there...if 9th cousin counts ;-)

Last edited:

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DF is a direct line descendant of King Niall from Ireland on his paternal side. I'm descended from Polish aristocracy on my paternal side. DF's brother's stepson-in-law is a D-line coach for an East Coast professional football team.

BTW, there are estimated two to three million descendants of King Niall.:lol:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we don't really. But I had a family member who does work on our genealogy say that we are extremely distantly related to Diana the former Princess of Wales. I am still trying to find the link though because I am skeptical!

Other than that only part of our family kept decent records that go back to before the revolutionary war. I have the genealogy book proving that much. I hope one day to get the edition with my name and add my daughter's.

On the other hand my husband's family is related to some famous figures. I am hoping one day we can take our daughter to see their land in Scotland someday. I would love to see where my own Scottish ancestors lived but nobody can yet tell me if they were Highlanders or lowlanders so oh well lol.

How far back do the Scottish relatives go? Take a look at the ScotlandsPeople website, it’s easy to search for births, deaths, marriages etc (you do have to pay but it’s not expensive) and you might find out a lot more!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
How far back do the Scottish relatives go? Take a look at the ScotlandsPeople website, it’s easy to search for births, deaths, marriages etc (you do have to pay but it’s not expensive) and you might find out a lot more!

Actually I've had a cursory look at my Scots ancestors and they seem to be lost somewhere in the 1700s. Unfortunately they did not seem to keep quite the records that the Irish did in my family.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s my sweetie posing next to a stained glass window of one of his relatives, King Hakon of Norway, in Lerwick, Scotland. We just stumbled upon the town’s pretty little City Hall when we were in Scotland last year. Its large auditorium was ringed by stained glass windows depicting important people and events in Shetland’s history... and it included my sweetie’s many times removed great grandfather! Couldn’t resist the photo op!

9F730F5F-4A6F-4A67-A5A3-6125663DD67F.jpeg

He’s also related to Thorstein Veblen, a fourth great-uncle, the American economist/philosopher who coined the phrase “conspicuous consumption.” Apropos of absolutely nothing, of course. We visited his childhood home during this summer’s trip in the Midwest. And on the other side of the family, to Benjamin Franklin.

As for me, nothing to speak of... but my grandfather and greats on my father’s side did have a love of jewelry (and other finery) that probably had a great deal to do with my landing here, on Pricescope!

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hubby’s gggsomething uncle was captain of the Mayflower. The whole family was aboard. My daughter in laws ggsomething grandmother was married to the King of Scotland and When he died she married her ggggggrandfather.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't understand why I don't have blue blood, like so many of you!!
My ancestors had blue feet from stomping grapes, though :lol:

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad's cousin was in Twisted Sister. :lol: Mark Mendoza- really called Mark Glickman from Long Island...

Rock royalty!!!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH’s cousin was a guitarist in the band called “my chemical romance”. They disbanded 6 years ago but they’re getting back together for a reunion tour.

A2C32865-D34F-45AC-85A2-FAD94B092743.jpeg

Missy very cool, I like this band. I always been into music but as an appreciator, not a maker. My brother was in a couple punk bands. The closest they got to fame was they were supposed to tour with Lydia Lunch, but they were such chaotic f- ups they broke up before tour!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results