shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you feel heavier than you weigh?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Telephone, I feel the same way. I don't feel like I'm super big. I am overweight, yes, but not hugely so. I feel like an alien tho when I look at pictures of myself. We did superhero day in our preschool room, pajama day, crazy sock day, things like that-took group pictures of the four teachers and yeeee-owww looking at myself feels like I'm in an alternate reality. I try to console myself that there's a lot of muscle underneath all the squish. :???:

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
I "know" I am overweight, but I have a long torso so I "think" I look thin enough to have the ice cream, chocolate, candy, cake...or whatever naughty sweet thing...and it won't matter. I suppose my body dysmorphia (sp?) is in reverse, I think I am thinner than I am. Plus I don't have just a sweet tooth, I have whole mouthful and can't pass up anything sweet, ever :nono:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I also have the reverse disorder. I always think I look slim and fabulous, then I get a shock when I see the numbers on the scale. I'm a tall Asian at 5'7 and my weight fluctuates a lot, from 130-145. I'm always shocked when it is on the higher end because I'm apple shaped, and my jeans fit the same. I also hate discussing weight among my Asian friends, it seems like no one exceeds 120lbs no matter how tall they are!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom|1420521807|3812433 said:
I also have the reverse disorder. I always think I look slim and fabulous, then I get a shock when I see the numbers on the scale. I'm a tall Asian at 5'7 and my weight fluctuates a lot, from 130-145. I'm always shocked when it is on the higher end because I'm apple shaped, and my jeans fit the same. I also hate discussing weight among my Asian friends, it seems like no one exceeds 120lbs no matter how tall they are!
Having read what I wrote above, I wanted to add that 5 lbs of fat and 5 lbs of lean muscle looks very different (look it up), so I have had times when I'm lighter according to the scale, but look squishier or pudgier, whereas I'm very heavy right now, but feel tight and lean because I'm cutting carbs and working out 7 days a week!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I found the picture to illustrate how you can be at the ideal weight according to charts, but feel flabby and big...it's all about the composition of your body, is it more fat or muscle? Exercise helps a lot! I'm 140+ of pure muscle (me thinks :cheeky: )

fat_and_muscle.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's why BMI isn't something to go by. I had a woman at work at the Dr's office get on me b/c my BMI was in the overweight category, while hers was "perfect"...however, she had absolutely *no* muscle, was skinny fat, and I used to lift weights and still have some nice muscle under there. She used to give me "pointers" in a highly derogatory manner on what I could do b/c "I could be so pretty...." Before my kids, I had a killer 6 pack. She had a gastric bypass. Please.

My brother is a bodybuilder-his BMI is atrocious haha!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I feel proportional to how I look, but I always felt my (youngest) daughter felt heavier than what she looks like. In the womb they were concerned that she was too small and didn't weigh enough, predicting she would be around 5, 5 1/2 pounds. But when she came out she was a bit over 7 lbs. We joke that she is "dense". She is not fat at all, but I think naturally muscular (I wish I had her muscle tone). And like all kids, she had the magical ability to be extra heavy when I need to pick her up! Then again I am the original 98 pound weakling (though I don't weigh that now). We don't own a scale so I get my weight when I go to the doctor. same thing for the kids. None have a weight problem so no reason to get one. However pediatrician suggested oldest she get on an exercise program because she is skinny and likes to sit around and read versus being active (except for the summertimes).

Basically the youngest is like my husband who naturally strong, muscular, and more of a natural athlete, while the oldest is more like me. I can get muscles but I have to really work at it, and they fade as soon as I stop doing relatively intense exercise.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1420595254|3812764 said:
That's why BMI isn't something to go by. I had a woman at work at the Dr's office get on me b/c my BMI was in the overweight category, while hers was "perfect"...however, she had absolutely *no* muscle, was skinny fat, and I used to lift weights and still have some nice muscle under there. She used to give me "pointers" in a highly derogatory manner on what I could do b/c "I could be so pretty...." Before my kids, I had a killer 6 pack. She had a gastric bypass. Please.

ooooh, the "you could be so pretty IF" is just the most BSy thing ever. People have always been telling me I could be so pretty IF I were tan. Okay fantastic but I have a family history of skin cancer soooooo I'll take no melanoma over your concept of "pretty" any day thanks

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
distracts|1420657623|3813060 said:
packrat|1420595254|3812764 said:

ooooh, the "you could be so pretty IF" is just the most BSy thing ever. People have always been telling me I could be so pretty IF I were tan. Okay fantastic but I have a family history of skin cancer soooooo I'll take no melanoma over your concept of "pretty" any day thanks

Yeah idnit nice to hear? JD has said in the past he wishes I would start tanning again b/c I'm so stark white. Well, I liked being tan better too, however..one of my gramma's brother's lost his NOSE to skin cancer and gramma has had about 10 spots removed that were pre cancerous. So. No. I told him I don't want to be wrinkly earlier than what I would otherwise, and I really don't know how I'd tell the kids mommy has skin cancer and is going to die b/c she wanted to be "pretty". I may as well start back w/my Marlboro's, and I told him I could lose this weight easier if I did. Ha! (I never would but it did make him quit asking)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not for me. It is usually the other way around for me.

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
I love Ted talks. Thanks! Check out the supermodel one too.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I assume everyone feels ugly every now & then, who knows... It is somewhat annoying. I certainly eat all that & then some at times, then, how long can one live on cake? [depends on cake, methinks]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results