shape
carat
color
clarity

De Beers adds new twist to brand strategy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
"counterfeits cost lives"
---------------
De Beers is opposed to blood diamonds, as are the other majors. This is more of an economic than moral imperative: an uncontrolled flow of diamonds could collapse an empire sustained on a myth.

This myth is the basis of a long-standing joke among the diamond merchants of London''s Hatton Garden. They tell of a man who brings a diamond ring to a Hatton Garden merchant.
His wife, he says, has bought it for £20 000 and he wants to check if this is right.

The merchant examines the ring and notes: "It''s a good price."
"So you would value it at £20 000?" queries the man.

"You buying or selling?" responds the merchant.

"What''s the difference?"

The merchant shrugs: "Buying is £20 000, selling is nothing, because I''m not buying."

A variation was told to me by a De Beers director in his cups after a lengthy CSO lunch in London some years ago. I had queried the artificiality of gem pricing. Pulling me to one side, he noted: "Entre nous: when that little lady in Tokyo looks at that $20 000 rock on her finger and realises it isn''t worth a damn, we''re in trouble."
---------

Full article

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results