shape
carat
color
clarity

"Dangerous Book for Boys"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
so i hope this is family oriented enough, but i purchased this book for my 9 yr old nephew (on DH''s side).

i saw that it was a bestseller and a marketing phenomenon so thought i''d found a great gift. Well now that i''ve read up on it closer, i see that it could be looked at as I''m encouraging him to do mischevious and possibly dangerous things! Seeing how this is my first xmas as their aunt, i don''t want the parents mad at me!

is anyone familiar with this book--do you think it''s ok?

partyjewels

Shiny_Rock
I've never heard of it till now! After doing a search on amazon for it, it does look like a pretty nifty book (as does the one they have for girls), but personally I wouldn't get it for one of my nephews (Ages 8, 4, and about 11 months) without clearing it with my sister first. But thats because they're already pretty mischievous when left to their own devices, I certainly wouldn't want to give them more ideas or help them with their dirty work! How do you feel about asking his parents what they think about the book? When I'm in doubt about a seemingly good gift, I ask my sister if she feels it's OK for me to give it to one of the boys, because I don't want her to retaliate when we have children! So thats my suggestion if you're very worried about it, ask the parents, and if you don't want to go that route, I say if you're really in doubt, return the book and get something else.

ETA: I didn't look at it very much in depth, but looking at the index list of the book, maybe it's not as bad as I'm imagining it would be? Maybe it's just for my little hellions that I call nephews that I can see it being a gift my sister would prefer I didn't give :) (P.S. Don't get me wrong, I love them, they're great kids, they just know how to drive people nuts!!)

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I just bought this for my 7 year old (and very gifted) nephew and I read through it the other night. Honestly, there''s nothing truly "dangerous" in there... in fact it''s actually pretty cool. I think the best way to describe it is that it''s all the stuff boys USED to know before they spent all their time playing video games and texting. For the younger set, really they''ll need to have help with some of the tasks, but it could be a fun bonding activity (my brother''s ONLY hobby is his kids) and I think it''s a pretty cool gift. I also got the Daring Book for Girls for my 10 year old neice.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGuy just got this as a gift from his boss. Looks like a fun book, but I haven''t read it. Although I can see that it may cause some issues...first thing TGuy said was "look, bigger wheels on a go cart so it can go faster!" I just thought...ha, recipe for injury there!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
janinegirly,

Sorry nothing constructive to add about this books'' content.
But, I am delighted that you took the time to check the potential present out. It seems to me that it is becoming more common for folks to rely on commercially set age guidelines rather than their own set of values.

That and I''m glad you chose a book. I wish I had been given more books as a child. Books Rock!
34.gif
31.gif
30.gif
31.gif
34.gif
30.gif

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think most of the things in the book are dangerous per se. The title just makes it sound a little more exciting and attractive to kids. There''s a lot of informative stuff about physics, the solar system, etc. I guess some of the experiments could get a little dicey if kids don''t follow the directions, but honestly, when I skimmed through it, it seemed like a kid who would get into big trouble with this book would find a way to get into big trouble without it.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I agree the activities in the book are not dangerous and the concept is more to get boys to enjoy reading and give them an opportunity to be creative/explore while having fun at the same time. However, i know many parents are v. over-protective and i don''t want to give anything that they might construed as negative or controversial (I might be overthinking this since I''m new to the family as well).

I''m wondering if i should broach the mom. Honestly i''m ususally very careful and i thought a book would always be welcomed, but maybe i should have checked with her first! (bought it on-line so it''s a pain to return).

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Go to Rachel Rays website...and see if there is a clip there. She had a piece on about the book. Sent a manly man...(just like mister § formally known as Mr. door knob solitaire) to a house filled with 3 zombie computer game kids.

He got them outside...eureka!

Off the couch...eureka! Oh the danger!

And had them help build a soap box car! Oh wow how dangerous!

I won''t say anymore because there is a chance you might get to see a clip. But I will tell you it is just filled with things boys from the 60''s and 70''s did outside...activities-play time-out in the sunshine and dirt of the yard...before all the glassy eyed game boy computer junk was created. Things boys should do. Things that will make them wiser and more well rounded. Problem is...getting them to read it and getting the game stuff out of their hands. §

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s the book I''m getting DH for Christmas. I believe he now knows how to tie at least 40 different knots from reading it over his shoulder in the book store. It''s just interesting and different activities that male children used to know and learn. Nothing that he wouldn''t do with scouts back in the day.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2007 4:10:05 PM
Author: janinegirly
I agree the activities in the book are not dangerous and the concept is more to get boys to enjoy reading and give them an opportunity to be creative/explore while having fun at the same time. However, i know many parents are v. over-protective and i don''t want to give anything that they might construed as negative or controversial (I might be overthinking this since I''m new to the family as well).

I''m wondering if i should broach the mom. Honestly i''m ususally very careful and i thought a book would always be welcomed, but maybe i should have checked with her first! (bought it on-line so it''s a pain to return).

Well... if the mom really objects to learning history and tying knots and building a soapbox racer, then maybe it''s your role as aunt to give the kid a backbone!
2.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
haha, thanks for all the feedback and reassurance! i''ll happily give it to him for xmas, thanks girls!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Cool! they have a daring book for girls that I''m getting for my niece!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
i''ve now received the book and read through it. It''s fantastic, except for the "hunting and skinning rabbits" section! hmm, hope I can get away with that!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I can be dense on occasion. Is that the title: Dangerous Book for Boys?

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Yes that is the title. You can find it on amazon.com, barnes & noble,etc..

I tried to put quotes around the subject line, but it didn't take (so i can see how it might be confusing if you've never heard of the book!)

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Hey Janinegirly! After reading this thread I noticed that book today while we were shopping. I read through it and decided it looked like great fun, so I got it for my 10 year old son. Thanks for the idea, and as a mom I think it''s a great choice!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
so we exchanged gifts with SIL''s kids this wkend, and the "Dangerous" book was a hit. They had all heard of it (including the 9 yr old) and were excited!

phew!
emteeth.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s great, Janine! As someone who ALWAYS gives books as gifts, I gave this one to three different young boys this Chanukah season and they all loved it. (I know, I know--I''m the aunt who gives the boring gifts each year. The kids will read, damnit!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results