shape
carat
color
clarity

D.O.G. got sick yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is pretty gross, so please bear with me. So my day yesterday ended up being in a word, a MESS! D.O.G., my 7 month old puppy apparently got really sick yesterday while we were at work (he stays in a safe, contained area of the house where he can''t get into anything). We came home from work and immediately knew he had had an accident. We didn''t realize the true extent though. Poop on the walls, the floor, our BED!, the mirror. I don''t even know how it got in some of the places we found it. The poor little guy, I felt so bad. If we hadn''t seen the evidence, we wouldn''t have known he had been sick. He was in a fine mood and not acting sick at all, so I''m not sure what made him so ill.

So the point of this email is this. He got sick on the bed. It didn''t soak into the mattress, it''s just covering our down comforter, sheets, and other blankets. If I wash all of this in bleach and hot water, is it salvageable, or should we just trash everything? The sheets that were on our bed are of course our really nice, expensive ones so if I can save them, then great, but the temptation to throw it all away is definitely present as well. What would you do?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Poor little puppy! If it was me I would throw everthing out, but I am germ-phobic and no amount of washes would make me comfortable.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2009 4:04:56 PM
Author:Hudson_Hawk
This is pretty gross, so please bear with me. So my day yesterday ended up being in a word, a MESS! D.O.G., my 7 month old puppy apparently got really sick yesterday while we were at work (he stays in a safe, contained area of the house where he can''t get into anything). We came home from work and immediately knew he had had an accident. We didn''t realize the true extent though. Poop on the walls, the floor, our BED!, the mirror. I don''t even know how it got in some of the places we found it. The poor little guy, I felt so bad. If we hadn''t seen the evidence, we wouldn''t have known he had been sick. He was in a fine mood and not acting sick at all, so I''m not sure what made him so ill.

So the point of this email is this. He got sick on the bed. It didn''t soak into the mattress, it''s just covering our down comforter, sheets, and other blankets. If I wash all of this in bleach and hot water, is it salvageable, or should we just trash everything? The sheets that were on our bed are of course our really nice, expensive ones so if I can save them, then great, but the temptation to throw it all away is definitely present as well. What would you do?
You can certainly try bleach and a couple of good washes if you are comfortable, the bleach will kill anything thats there bacteria and odour wise, but it depends on your comfort level! Is it p**p or vomit on the sheets?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure if it''s p or v on the sheets. I didn''t look too closely, I just grabbed it and threw it all into the garage.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Fellow dog-owner here.

The sheets and blankets are probably salvageable. I''d put on some latex gloves, remove as much as possible by handwashing, repeatedly tell yourself that its great prep for when you have kids, then dump the sheets into a giant tub filled with bleach and water if they''re white (or hot water and a LOT of Oxyclean if they''re colored) to kill the bacteria, and let ''em sit for a while or preferrably overnight. Once it''s no longer a biohazard, I''d wash them in hot, soapy water with an enzyme cleaner a couple of times and re-evaluate. (When my little guy was a pup, there were a few times the blankets in his puppy crate looked beyond repair, but they cleaned up surprisingly well. They all passed the blacklight test after the thorough washing.)

The down comforter would be more difficult; if there''s been, umm, a soaking through, I can only imagine the permanent changes to the fluff wrought by last night''s GI problems. I''d probably toss, but I also might be overly cautious.

So sorry to hear about your pup! Has someone suggested mixing in some rice into his food today?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We suspect it was his food that did it to him, so we''re reevaluating our brand (our other dog had a similar problem, we didn''t make the food connection) right now. I gave him straight rice this morning as I had nothing else to give him.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I would take it to a laundry mat; their machines are larger capacity. Just rememeber afterwards to run a hot water and bleach only cycle to disinfect your machine if that is where you will wash your linens.

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh. I had the same problem with Edgar almost exactly a year ago. I came home, opened the door, and this wall of smell hit me. Like you, it was everywhere...fortunately not in the bedroom, that door was closed. Everywhere, of course, but the laminate wood floor where it would be easy to clean.
20.gif
Pulled out the gloves, cleaner, paper towels and bags and went to work. We had to rent a steam carpet cleaner, as our small vacuum style one wasn''t up the job once I got the majority of the goop up. The worst part for me was the smell. I think I lit every candle I could get my hands on and opened our sliding glass doors. Ick! I hope I never have to go throught that again! We still don''t know what he ate, but it hasn''t happened since, thank goodness.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 4:30:26 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
Fellow dog-owner here.

The sheets and blankets are probably salvageable. I''d put on some latex gloves, remove as much as possible by handwashing, repeatedly tell yourself that its great prep for when you have kids, then dump the sheets into a giant tub filled with bleach and water if they''re white (or hot water and a LOT of Oxyclean if they''re colored) to kill the bacteria, and let ''em sit for a while or preferrably overnight. Once it''s no longer a biohazard, I''d wash them in hot, soapy water with an enzyme cleaner a couple of times and re-evaluate. (When my little guy was a pup, there were a few times the blankets in his puppy crate looked beyond repair, but they cleaned up surprisingly well. They all passed the blacklight test after the thorough washing.)

The down comforter would be more difficult; if there''s been, umm, a soaking through, I can only imagine the permanent changes to the fluff wrought by last night''s GI problems. I''d probably toss, but I also might be overly cautious.

So sorry to hear about your pup! Has someone suggested mixing in some rice into his food today?
Ditto the above. All of the bedding is salvageable. It''s just a lot of work.

Down Comforter? Let me add to that, having had mine SOAKED more than once.

First wash off as much as you can by hand from the cover. Then take it to a commercial laundromat (someone else here mentioned this as well) and wash it 2-3 times in the big machines. It will be fine. Just be sure it''s dried our really, really well.

The other thing I''ve done is leave the comforter outside in the sun for a few days. It really helps bleach out any stains and also freshens it up before you put it on the bed. I don''t know where you live, (I''m in Canada so this only works in June & July) but if you''re where it''s hot, give that a try.

Good luck. A lot of us have been in your shoes. It''s awful but at the same time, this is your little furbaby. D.O.G. is well and truly loved (as I see in your other posts). Poor thing.

LS

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Down... DITCH!
I ditched everything I could. My little guy got sick, turned out it was the food he was eating, was "all natural" but it was HORRIBLE on his little digestivie system, this all natural, was all rough. Made him very very sick. (Cannadae brand) he was sick often. Switched him to Science Diet and have NEVER had an issue since.

My dog has long hair (I keep it trimmed now... just in case) and wagging the tail sent excriment flying... gross! I cleaned EVERYTHING, and tossed the rest. I hope your little guy is better soon...

oh and pigs feet and some rawhide can cause this reaction.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 6:28:38 PM
Author: tlh
Down... DITCH!

I ditched everything I could. My little guy got sick, turned out it was the food he was eating, was ''all natural'' but it was HORRIBLE on his little digestivie system, this all natural, was all rough. Made him very very sick. (Cannadae brand) he was sick often. Switched him to Science Diet and have NEVER had an issue since.

My dog has long hair (I keep it trimmed now... just in case) and wagging the tail sent excriment flying... gross! I cleaned EVERYTHING, and tossed the rest. I hope your little guy is better soon...

oh and pigs feet and some rawhide can cause this reaction.

This had me laughing because that was FI''s task last night. I kept saying "but I cleaned poo off of a mirror and the wall!!" so I didn''t have to do it myself. The little one is getting a hygiene trim after his bath!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, just wow.
20.gif
I don''t think you can wash a down comforter at all, and I highly doubt a drycleaning would help or if they''d even do it for you. If it''s just some on the cover of it, you can try handwash it out and tumble dry on air only. If it''s a large spot, it''s questionable as to whether it can be salvaged at all.

You can give him some canned pure pumpkin with his food for a while. A big can lasts a long time if refrigerated. Just a couple of teaspoons or more if he''s bigger. Plain yogurt is also okay to give. Hope he feels better soon.
2.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a terrible thing to come home to!
40.gif
Re the linens -- wash, wash, wash. Ditto the laundromat idea.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 8:13:12 PM
Author: lyra
Wow, just wow.
20.gif
I don''t think you can wash a down comforter at all, and I highly doubt a drycleaning would help or if they''d even do it for you. If it''s just some on the cover of it, you can try handwash it out and tumble dry on air only. If it''s a large spot, it''s questionable as to whether it can be salvaged at all.

You can give him some canned pure pumpkin with his food for a while. A big can lasts a long time if refrigerated. Just a couple of teaspoons or more if he''s bigger. Plain yogurt is also okay to give. Hope he feels better soon.
2.gif
I have washed my down comforters for 25+ years.

The reason why they say "dry clean only" is because most people don''t have large enough washers and dryers to completely clean, rinse and dry the down.

If you use the commercial machines at the laundromat they clean up beautifully. Don''t let the fact that it''s down scare you. It''s totally washable (ask the goose, he swims!
9.gif
)

LS

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
LS is right. I''ve washed my down pillows and down comforter several times.

I realize doggie poop is no fun, but some of you act like poop is radioactive? You do realize that babies poop in diapers, mom''s throw them in the wash and then put them right back on "little precious''" bottom, right?

My dog''s poop probably has less bacteria than mine.
25.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
You made me laugh PP!!
9.gif

LS

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2009 9:24:43 PM
Author: purrfectpear
LS is right. I''ve washed my down pillows and down comforter several times.

I realize doggie poop is no fun, but some of you act like poop is radioactive? You do realize that babies poop in diapers, mom''s throw them in the wash and then put them right back on ''little precious'''' bottom, right?

My dog''s poop probably has less bacteria than mine.
25.gif
Ditto, PP! If dog poop really was hazardous to humans, I would be SO dead by now! LOL!
40.gif

One of our three dogs, Caesar, has always had a very delicate digestive system. He''s a purebred Great Dane, and most Danes are very prone to having tummy issues from time to time. Here''s a fact that I can tell you with GREAT certainty: when a 120 pound dog has diarrhea while you''re at work, it makes for a very unpleasant situation. Very. Unpleasant. I think we found nooks and crannies in our house that we didn''t even know were there, until they got covered in dog poop that we had to clean out. Paper towels and Windex are our friends! DH even asks the cashier at Wal-Mart for extra bags when we buy groceries! (Those plastic grocery bags work GREAT for poop cleanup!)
9.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
A Great Dane with tummy issues
23.gif

Now that might just call for a hazmat suit
2.gif

An 8 lb. Silky Terrier is more on the order of a baby
28.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2009 8:37:09 PM
Author: LostSapphire

Wow, just wow.
20.gif

2.gif

The reason why they say ''dry clean only'' is because most people don''t have large enough washers and dryers to completely clean, rinse and dry the down.

If you use the commercial machines at the laundromat they clean up beautifully. Don''t let the fact that it''s down scare you. It''s totally washable (ask the goose, he swims!
9.gif
)

LS
This *kills* me!!!! My MIL has been insisting for 25 years that you can''t wash goose down comforters. So we''d just replace every couple of years, with spot cleaning and air fluffing and drycleaning. I totally just went by her advice. I can''t believe I never really questioned it. I am going to launder my freaking comforter now!! Thanks for the info. I feel so stupid!
38.gif

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, just wow.
20.gif

2.gif
Absolutely! We do this for Edgar when his poo is runnier then normal, and the fiber helps out a lot. And he
30.gif
30.gif
it!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yuck! I think that it depends on your comfort level. Personally, I would "try" to wash as much as you can, as many times as you think it needs, before I would throw them out. It would also depend on how big of a mess it is. If the mess is HUGE, then it may be more trouble than it is worth.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 11:09:28 AM

This *kills* me!!!! My MIL has been insisting for 25 years that you can''t wash goose down comforters. So we''d just replace every couple of years, with spot cleaning and air fluffing and drycleaning. I totally just went by her advice. I can''t believe I never really questioned it. I am going to launder my freaking comforter now!! Thanks for the info. I feel so stupid!
38.gif
Awww... don''t do that lyra. Instead of feeling stupid over what you didn''t know, think of yourself of being that much smarter because of what you now know!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 1:18:53 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana
Oh yuck! I think that it depends on your comfort level. Personally, I would ''try'' to wash as much as you can, as many times as you think it needs, before I would throw them out. It would also depend on how big of a mess it is. If the mess is HUGE, then it may be more trouble than it is worth.
I agree.

HH - your poor pup. ((hugs))

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 11:09:28 AM

Date: 2/26/2009 8:37:09 PM
Author: LostSapphire

Wow, just wow.
20.gif
I don't think you can wash a down comforter at all, and I highly doubt a drycleaning would help or if they'd even do it for you. If it's just some on the cover of it, you can try handwash it out and tumble dry on air only. If it's a large spot, it's questionable as to whether it can be salvaged at all.

You can give him some canned pure pumpkin with his food for a while. A big can lasts a long time if refrigerated. Just a couple of teaspoons or more if he's bigger. Plain yogurt is also okay to give. Hope he feels better soon.
2.gif

The reason why they say 'dry clean only' is because most people don't have large enough washers and dryers to completely clean, rinse and dry the down.

If you use the commercial machines at the laundromat they clean up beautifully. Don't let the fact that it's down scare you. It's totally washable (ask the goose, he swims!
9.gif
)

LS
This *kills* me!!!! My MIL has been insisting for 25 years that you can't wash goose down comforters. So we'd just replace every couple of years, with spot cleaning and air fluffing and drycleaning. I totally just went by her advice. I can't believe I never really questioned it. I am going to launder my freaking comforter now!! Thanks for the info. I feel so stupid!
38.gif
Don't feel stupid: this is a big myth perpetuated by the Dry Cleaners of the world...
9.gif

My theory has always been: THE GOOSE SWIMS IN THE LAKE, DON'T IT??? So why can't I wash the feathers??? The cover/ticking is cotton, so what's the big deal? I talked to a friend of mine years ago who owns a dry cleaners: they were WASHING THEM in their big commercial washers. The big deal is to get them well rinsed and dried. If they're not completely dried and tumbled properly (put a tennis ball in the dryer with it to keep the feathers from bunching up) they can get moldy.

I've washed every one in my house (from 3 different beds) for over 25 years now, at least twice a year (or more if the FurKids are having a puke-fest after eating something outside). And every summer I put them outside in the sun for a day or 2. It's just a pain to lug them over to the laundromat but totally worth it.

LS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results