shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Ring Project and Discount

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
Would it be rude to ask for some kind of discount on my ring?
4 months later and it''s nowhere in sight, boyfriend seems a little irritated about it.
Said I''d think twice about having my custom earring made by her as she takes forever.
He said, "All I know is this ring better be perfect" I asked him well what if you thought it was perfect and I didn''t?
He saiid If he liked it, I would like it (he''s not dense when it comes to those things, he knows craftmanship and my style.)
And if he didn''t like it, all hell would break loose!

I don''t think he''s pulling my leg and trying to lead me on, of course he won''t tell the details of the conversation he had with her. Which makes me nervous... My mom thought I didn''t like it and that''s why she hasn''t heard anything about it. She even asked where is was when I showed her the sapphires for my earrings.

Sigh..... I''m scared

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about inquiring what the status is, as 4 months is ridiculously long for a single ring to be made. Even Leon doesn''t have that long of a wait time. It''s perfectly fine to reiterate your expectations and put a firm ''due date'' on this jeweler. Mine took forever (for-freaking-ever) and I had to start saying ''look, I''ve waited for x months, and what exactly still needs to be done? If it can''t be done by x date, I want my stone and my money back (if you put a deposit on the project or prepaid).''

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I second FG's approach. You can be nice without being a doormat -- you can acknowledge that there may be a variety of reasons why things are taking so long, but express that you need a firm date on completion. i like the idea of finding out what else needs to be done. if she hasn't even started it yet, i might rather take my business elsewhere than have her rush to get it done, because a rush job certainly isn't what you waited 4 months for!! i'm not sure how to ask for a discount, but if she doesn't understand the "urgency" I might explain that during the 4 months that she's had the stone, you have neither had the money that was spent on the stone (which could have earned $X or paid for Y during that time) nor have you had the benefit for which you purchased the stone -- wearing it!!

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
I completly agree with those above. It is not unreasonable at all to set a date and expect it to be done by then.

Our Jeweler (who was custom making my setting) Told us it would be ready on Thursday April, 5th. On the 5th he called us to let us and left us a message letting us know that it would be taking a little bit longer and he would give us the details the next day. True to his word he called back the next day and gave a new due date of Monday the 9th. Clearly, jewelers understand that people want to be kept informed.

My boyfriend and I had no real time contraints (In fact we wont even be able to pick it up until this coming Thursday) and our jeweler still kept us in the loop, contacting us about the delay ETC.

Getting a solid deadline after 4 months of waiting is definitly not unreasonable.

However, maybe your boyfriend is just trying to throw you off track. I know my sister''s fiance made a big show that the ring was not ready, and wouldnt be until August when he already had the ring and was planning to propose in May and didnt want her expecting it. I would definitely let your boyfriend do all the negotiating, just in case ;-)

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
yes, he told the jeweler that I was "cut off" from knowing anything, so I''ll ask my b/f if he got a timeline of when the ring should be completed, I don''t need to know the date, but just to know that he does have one from her would be good for me at this point.
December 3 was the official start date on the setting aarrghh!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Generally speaking, I haven''t met many guys who are firm with jewelers about deadlines and whatnot. If there is a possibility he is throwing you off the trail, you''d be wise to tell him you are concerned enough to start taking matters into your own hands. hehehe

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results