shape
carat
color
clarity

Could you love a robot dog?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a cute idea, but it isn't for me. I'm very scent oriented and tactile. I know the smells of all of my cats and I love the warm smell of a clean dog. And fur! Running your hands through a animal's fur is one of life's great pleasures.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's great for people who can't have real pets, for whatever reason. I watched a few videos and it's sooo cute!

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
A few years ago I worked on a conference stand promoting new technology for offshore oil and gas, and a robotic dog was one of the innovations on the stand. I'll admit the dog was cute and I did end up talking to it throughout the day - I'll attribute my affection to boredom and being away from my kids for a couple of days. So I can see how this type of technology could help combat loneliness. The really interesting thing was when I questioned the need for cuteness since an oil platform in the North sea isn't somewhere you'd typically associate with melting hearts over a robotic dog. And the answer - it was part of the process of conditioning humans to accept automation, by making robots cute we'll be less scared when the real robots come along. I *think* the guy was pulling my leg, but sometimes I'm not so sure.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These responses are too funny!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I think I could live with one!!! Sure there ain't nuthin like the real thing, but not everyone can have live animal. I think they be good cognitive company for those who need it.

cheers--Sharon

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a developer so....no. I'd tinker with it probably...lol

Real dogs are, like people, unpredictable. Each has their own personalities which I feel makes them unique from each other. I love that my girls are very different in a lot of ways, even though both are greyhounds. It can also be a bit exasperating but...lol yeah part of the package.

...it was part of the process of conditioning humans to accept automation, by making robots cute we'll be less scared when the real robots come along. I *think* the guy was pulling my leg, but sometimes I'm not so sure.
I've seen this Black Mirror episode...

My first thought was "Ahhhh! SKYNET!!"

But seriously though. Could I love a robot dog? Maybe. Then again, I am able to have real dogs sooo no thanks?

Pet tax:
20181225_104417.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the transformers movie (the first one)
I would love it - but as its own entity - not as a substitute for a real dog or cat

elizat

Ideal_Rock
For myself, I wouldn't be interested. But, if it makes someone else happy, that's fine too! I thought Furbies were creepy though. So definitely not for me.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To me, it’s a cool concept but it’s not cute enough or fast or subtle enough to replace a pet. I’m going to look at more videos of this robot dog, though. Maybe it will grow on me!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I would not be able to love the one pictured. Maybe if they made a warm plush cuddly model. I like cuddling with my doggy.....and cuddling with plastic is not my cup of tea.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For myself, I wouldn't be interested. But, if it makes someone else happy, that's fine too! I thought Furbies were creepy though. So definitely not for me.

Hahaha agreed. However, for some reason, I do love ugly dolls. :wink2:

:lol:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Do androids dream of electric sheep?"

This was the first thing that came into my head...

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't cozy up to a robotic animal but Westworld type robots, oh yeah. If I live long enough, I'll be advocating equal rights for human-like robots.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would always prefer to have the real thing, but I suppose if I couldn’t, then maybe.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some owners interviewed also have real pets. One man has two boxer dogs, a cat, and an aibo!

Maybe having a robot pet is a thing in itself for some, and doesn't necessarily have to replace a real pet.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results