shape
carat
color
clarity

Color Sensitivity

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I am a very color sensitive person and can easily detect the variances between different diamonds. I also find that I am super sensitive when it comes to colors in general, especially paint and upholstery colors, and especially in shades of white! The slightest bit of undertone mismatch bothers me, however complementary colors and undertones are totally fine! Anyone else struggle with this?

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
Some people are much more perceptive when it comes to hue, tone and shades of colour. There is a test you can take where you arrange colour blocks according to tone and shade, I scored 100%. I have always been really 'tuned in' to colour, I can tell the difference between shades that a lot of people can't. My husband is really bad at perceiving subtle differences...he gets a bit annoyed when I am trying to decide between shades..."they all look the same to me"...I realized we were seeing differently and don't argue anymore, I just tell him 'trust me'...

It doesn't annoy me, I live for colour.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a very color sensitive person and can easily detect the variances between different diamonds. I also find that I am super sensitive when it comes to colors in general, especially paint and upholstery colors, and especially in shades of white! The slightest bit of undertone mismatch bothers me, however complementary colors and undertones are totally fine! Anyone else struggle with this?

Yes I am super color sensitive too. I hate beige (in the home) and any kind of warmth in white can bother me. It was challenging choosing the white paint for our trim and ceilings etc since there were so many choices and I disliked the ones with warmth in them while my DH preferred those. LOL.

For diamonds I easily see color. I prefer some warmth in my old cuts as to me it adds depth and beauty but in modern cuts I don't like warmth. As my favorite antique jewelry professionals like to say about white white diamonds...bitchy white lol. I just call them icy white. I prefer icy in my modern cuts and warmer in my old cuts and I see the color easily.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very color perceptive. I score 100% on all the arrange the colors tests, though I am aware that doesnt mean much lol. But i have had various instances where i could see a difference in color where no one else could. It was kind of frustrating! I am also a carrier of the gene for color deficiency, and i believe i am a tetrachromat; the two are related.

I like all colors of diamonds except brown/chocolate diamonds. It's an unreasonable prejudice, but there it is.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Paint is particularly annoying because it's one color on the swatch, slightly different when it's mixed up, different again when it dries, then changes depending on your natural light and fixtures.

Drives me nuts. It took me 10 swatches to get the right shade. I'm never painting again.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
MrsBlue---I've gone through the same thing. What I do now is paint a large piece of foam board (24" X 36"). Then I move it around the area and can view it next to flooring, furniture, artwork during different lighting conditions and times of day. It can look completely different in a north-facing room as opposed to south-facing.
It's still not foolproof as I find the light is different colors in winter vs. summer, as well as reflecting landscape or snow.

I find painting a piece of the wall not at all helpful because my brain is mostly seeing the comparison to the existing wall color---not the new color by itself.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see it, but it may not necessarily bother me....lol I make some in my normal life very very crazy.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm pretty color sensitive, and you know what the hardest color it is to match IMO? Black

All black outfits are hard to pull off for me, because depending on the fabric type and direction, leather grain on shoes, handbags, belts, there can be all shades of black! Throw in different levels of fade....ack!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Add me to the list of super color sensitive people. Whether it's diamonds, gold, fabric or paint, the color, tone, hue, etc. have to be right for me or it drives me crazy.‍

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am not color sensitive at all unless I really concentrate at it then I get bored and say bleh who cares.
What I want to try is show someone a white paint chart under a normal light bulb, then led, then florescent then a ge reveal bulb.
Then ask them which is the most white while they look confused.
Colors.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not color sensitive at all. In the case of paint it can get overwhelming so I just go “here this one is good enough”.

For diamonds I prefer lower color, also don’t mind the contrast of a lower color in a higher color halo. The key is that it looks deliberate. If you have a diamond with all different tints of diamonds in the halo all willy nilly.....I ain’t about that life.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paint is particularly annoying because it's one color on the swatch, slightly different when it's mixed up, different again when it dries, then changes depending on your natural light and fixtures.

Drives me nuts. It took me 10 swatches to get the right shade. I'm never painting again.

This. Is. Us. Now. Ughhhhh

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I am color sensitive, in the sense that I can see the color but I enjoy the widest range of colors. I like warm diamonds. This is a huge bonus for my pocket book. I have bright E studs that are a .75 ctw but they are so white! I love that look. I love my warm I old mine cut and I have a pair of studs that are end of the alphabet brownish beige. I have a wonky old cluster that sport P's. As long as they twinkle, I'll enjoy them!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t see the difference between a F, G, or H but I can with an I. I don’t think I have ever seen a D or an E.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In some lighting situations I can see the subtle color differences in my diamonds.
But it doesn't concern me, because as @MMtwo says, I love them all!

I have a diamond that I've had appraised 3 times over the years.
Official appraisals that I paid for, not just a jeweler's 'over the counter' guess.

One appraisal says it is an 'I'
Another appraisal says 'G-H'
And yet another says 'J-K'

Apparently, diamond color is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited:
My DH and I are so not color-sensitive that the last general contractor and interior designer we worked with, both said we were the easiest-going clients they've ever had! That's um, a good thing, right?? Hm...

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jewelry-wise, I don't think I'm very color sensitive. My ering is a K, per the jeweler who originally set it (family stone, no paperwork.) It looks the same to me as my mom's I and and nearly the same as my G earrings and grandmother's H/I.

But my husband and I never agreed on the color our previous house was. It was a very light gray, confirmed to me by my neighbors who had to look at it from their house, but he swore it was white. I slapped a sheet of computer paper up against the wall and he still insisted it was white. What????

He may be able to do calculus in his head, but he's clearly a color idiot. I mean, not color sensitive, the idiocy is in not just listening to his wife :) (just don't tell him I shared that, okay??? Thanks! )

Lovecarats

Rough_Rock
Yep. Very color sensitive. It makes decorating and putting together outfits a problem sometimes (I can't deal with the colors being off). I definitely see the different color grades in diamonds. However, I find them all beautiful in their own right.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What color do you see? Pink and white or gray and green?

grayandgreen.png

I see grey and green

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
@missy Grey and green with some areas of light neon yellow smudge around the stitches and a pink grey spot on the toe. :bigsmile:

I see a lot of variance in color. I like color in everything. A flat white room will make me want to paint it immediately, but a plethora of tonal whites I'll tolerate easily.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock

grayandgreen.png

I see grey and green

Today I learned the left side of my brain is dominant lmao. I always thought I was more both or right brained because I love drawing, writing, and music, and am just incapable of math harder than using my fingers and toes lmao. But at the same time science is my jam. Very cool! I'm going to show it to my husband lol.

As far as the topic and colour sensitivity goes I'm fairly sensitive. I have trouble telling the whitest whites in diamonds apart though. Like D and E for example. They look pretty close to me and its hard for me to tell the difference. But for some reason in like wall paint for example I see the differences a lot more. When we paint the house i can see myself being a huge PITA because I will need a shade that is just so lol. But for diamonds I'm just not super duper sensitive in the way that it bothers me if I don't have perfectly matching whitest of white diamonds. I don't mind colour at all :)

I’m extremely good at seeing variances in colour in real life or on those hue and shade matching tests. However, when it comes to diamonds, I’m not colour sensitive at all - I honestly can’t see the difference (face up) for several shades when I compare one stone to another. I guess I’m just blinded by the sparkly, lol.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

grayandgreen.png

I see grey and green

Y'all probably know I'm about to get techy with it...lol

but I see pink/grey dirty shoe but I also see some weird green lines in that grey and that might just be artifact. the white laces are ...lol green but its because they used UV light on it.

Admittedly I have a 5K 2K monitor that I'm looking at the image.

I don't find this to be particularly sciency though and feel it only proves that people see things differently based on the monitor they're using.

TARSHA

Rough_Rock
Well, I see pink/white, but DH sees light gray/light blue ???:eek2:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I am color sensitive. I don't know the right words to describe the colors I perceive, but I know when I don't like something. I just say something too gray or dark or yellow or red or purple...

And I'm also not good at imagining a whole big wall of a certain color. I might like a color on a 3x3 swatch, and then when it's all over my wall, I'm like ;(

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not color sensitive about diamonds I think because I am really a colored gemstone girl at heart. I see the color, but it doesn't bother me at all.

What does bother me is color around me in my life. I had to paint all 4k sqft of my house when I bought it, as none of the walls were an appropriate color for the lighting. And now at work they had the bright idea to make us wear black scrubs every day, which has an ill effect on my mood. I feel like I'm in mourning every day. My colleagues think I'm being ridiculous but I feel it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results