shape
carat
color
clarity

CDC changing how information on break through covid is collected.

Is it ok to hide this information?

• yes

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • no

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
"As previously announced, CDC is transitioning to reporting only patients with COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough infection that were hospitalized or died...."
Part of the reason:

What do think, is it ok for the government to cover up break through cases that dont result in hospitalized or death?
Do we have a right to know the real numbers?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In my opinion its not ok and we need to be told the truth not a watered down truth.
If we know about it we can take precautions like wearing masks and other things again rather than being treated like mushrooms.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see limiting the stats to cases that are hospitalized or die because this is a knowable number, whereas many breakthrough cases with mild symptoms or no symptoms may never even be diagnosed.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my opinion its not ok and we need to be told the truth not a watered down truth.
If we know about it we can take precautions like wearing masks and other things again rather than being treated like mushrooms.

+1

All governments (and big corporations like pharma) when it's in their interest.

IMO this government wants to get the economy going.
That requires people feel better, physically, mentally, & psychologically, and go back to doing what they did before the pandemic.

IMO telling fully vaccinated people they can ditch their masks is an example.
Filly vaccinated folks should continue the masks, isolating, and hand washing because of the Covid mutations, more deadly than the original, now spreading, and that 10% vaccine problem.

I say, lock down the country and the economy be dammed.
Better than everyone dying.

Also these so-called break trough cases are not "break through".
The vaccines were never claimed to work on 100% of the people.
I think what they are calling break through are just the 10% or so that the vaccine does not work on.

Nothing to see here folks.
Go back to your facebook and instagrams.

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say, lock down the country and the economy be dammed.
Better than everyone dying.
Lets all retire ! .

The CDC is full of BS. They change their face mask policy every 24 hrs. :rolleyes:

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like people are ignoring and discounting asymptomatic infections amongst vaccinated people. Long term effects of COVID (including asymptomatic infections) is unknown and what I've heard isn't good.

So, I don't want to get COVID even if it's asymptomatic as I'm fully vaccinated! I will continue to mask up, take precautions, and probably isolate. :(

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Government in the U.K. has been fairly candid that the aim of our vaccination policy is to prevent as many deaths as possible, being clear that Covid vaccinations generally mitigate serious illness rather than rendering 100% immunity (to both individuals and as an overall success rate). So the measure your CDC is now using aligns with what I believe we’re tracking here.

It makes sense to me: no one tracks coughs and colds figures because it doesn’t matter that people get coughs and colds. It’s serious Covid illness causing deaths and overwhelming health services that’s been the issue, so I guess they’re focussing on stats that help inform success in addressing that?

It’s no different to flu vaccines. It’s always guess work as to which strains might be prevalent in a particular year, so getting a flu vaccine doesn’t guarantee protection from flu for susceptible individuals. (For anyone who is susceptible to flu complications, I read an article at the weekend that the flu vaccine guesswork will likely involve even more guessing for a year or two: there’s been so little mixing in society that scientists won’t be able to predict flu trends as well as usual. So be doubly cautious about viral exposure from a flu perspective too.)

Last edited:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMO this decision by the CDC is very bad. The data about potential breakthrough is so abundantly available (millions of vaccinated people) and the incidence of breakthrough so presumably rare, that we really need to collect as many data points as possible. Vaccine efficacy is a big deal, and it’s why people are willing to take a vaccine in the first place. If vaccinated people can acquire and transmit COVID is essential information. The actual numbers might make the enforcement of vaccine passports impossible, if they show carriage and spread from vaccinated people similar to the unvaccinated. This is just as useful information as severe illness and death (if not more, also because it reflects the extent to which the virus can mutate by being carried and not neutralized - possibly asymptomatically- by the vaccinated).

Q

Queenie60

I feel like people are ignoring and discounting asymptomatic infections amongst vaccinated people. Long term effects of COVID (including asymptomatic infections) is unknown and what I've heard isn't good.

So, I don't want to get COVID even if it's asymptomatic as I'm fully vaccinated! I will continue to mask up, take precautions, and probably isolate. :(

I agree with your comments - we also do not know long term effects, if any from the vaccine.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... The CDC is full of BS. They change their face mask policy every 24 hrs. :rolleyes:
Every 24 hrs?
Exaggerate much? :rolleyes:

Updating health policy and recommendations based on the best and newest evidence is a good thing, not bad.
Ignoring new evidence and insisting things from long ago are true forever no matter what (because you fear damaged credibility from admitting what you preached before has been updated) sounds like the kind of stuff that religions somehow get away with. :nono:

DF, is that kind of head-in-the-sand approach to health policy what you want dictating your family's health?
I hope not.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, IMO it is not OK to hide info. Knowledge is power.

We shouldn't be narrowing our focus we should be broadening the info and developing a plan.
We need to track cases helps in order to figure out who may be more at risk, whether we are not protected from new variants by the vaccines and when protection from the shots begin to decrease.

We need as much info as possible. Not less.

We already had/have an undercount of breakthrough cases as it was since we are relying on voluntary reporting. Cases that don't progress to hospitalization or death are still critical to know about IMO. Non life threatening symptoms can affect one's quality of life. We need to understand how and why breakthrough infections are happening and who exactly are they affecting. So much more info needs to be evaluated. Knowledge is power.

I think there will be a huge price to pay by not reporting all the facts as we know them and ignoring what could be a significant percentage of vaccinated people.

Once again a questionable decision by the CDC.
Knowledge is power.

knowledge.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have been thinking about this and what really bugs me its like putting your head in the sand by ignoring and not tracking it then it springs up and bites ya in the rear when it gets to far to do anything about it.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been thinking about this and what really bugs me its like putting your head in the sand by ignoring and not tracking it then it springs up and bites ya in the rear when it gets to far to do anything about it.

Thank you for a more measured perspective than your first post where you used inflammatory rhetoric to imply that the nasty government was once again attempting to do nasty things to all the innocent citizens.

Resources need to be used where the potential for threat and damage is greatest. Right now, that threat is the unknown "why" some people are getting severely ill and hospitalized after vaccination. The knowledge gained from that will help everyone, even those who are asymptomatic and who become ill but don't require hospitalization.

No one's head is in the sand. We already know that long covid exists (and remember how long it took US doctors to even acknowledge that it was a problem? Another failure of our health care system). So we already know about the many short and long term effects of covid and that is already being addressed in research. It seems to me all the bases are covered.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a bit of a read, but super interesting. It also shows the early ways fo the CDC and the importance of collaboration.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for a more measured perspective than your first post where you used inflammatory rhetoric to imply that the nasty government was once again attempting to do nasty things to all the innocent citizens.

Resources need to be used where the potential for threat and damage is greatest. Right now, that threat is the unknown "why" some people are getting severely ill and hospitalized after vaccination. The knowledge gained from that will help everyone, even those who are asymptomatic and who become ill but don't require hospitalization.

No one's head is in the sand. We already know that long covid exists (and remember how long it took US doctors to even acknowledge that it was a problem? Another failure of our health care system). So we already know about the many short and long term effects of covid and that is already being addressed in research. It seems to me all the bases are covered.
I still think my first post is spot on.
It is being changed for political/propaganda reasons.
It shows the difference in effectiveness and blows the lie that they are all just as good out of the water.

Why we need to track it anyway is if a variant bypasses the vaccines but only causes minor covid illnesses it will not be found.
There is a chance someone who has a more deadly strain also catches it and a mutation results that beats the vaccines and is very deadly and the CDC will be blind to it until it gets a large head start all for political reasons.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In general when you make a decision regarding healthcare treatment you rely on informed consent. That is the good faith you put in doctors and pharmaceutical companies to tell you the known risks and benefits of a medication or procedure. So it is important that transparency is maintained so that the healthcare consumer can make educated choices regarding their healthcare. I believe we should collect and disseminate as much information as we have gathered and to gather as much information as possible.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results