shape
carat
color
clarity

Carrots make you gain weight???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
My boss who''s really into fitness just told me that carrots make you gain weight. I''ve never heard this before and I can''t find anything about it online. Is this true?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
why would they make you gain weight? did you ask? that sounds incredibly silly.

carrots are a great higher fiber vegetable. they are not super low in calories but they are packed with nutrition. i don't know why they would 'make you gain weight'.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe if you eat a bushel of them?? I''ve heard carrots have a higher natural sugar-like content than other veggies but overall they''re very healthy.

If portion-control is not your weakness, I''m sure they''re fine. Some folks can "over do" ANYTHING!
20.gif
3.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2007 1:37:43 PM
Author: decodelighted
Maybe if you eat a bushel of them?? I''ve heard carrots have a higher natural sugar-like content than other veggies but overall they''re very healthy.

If portion-control is not your weakness, I''m sure they''re fine. Some folks can ''over do'' ANYTHING!
20.gif
3.gif

Hee heee.

I heard they have a lot of sugar so if she is a South Beach person then she probably believes they cause your sugar levels to go up meaning weight gain. Is she???

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Mara, I didn''t get a chance to ask. I believe he said that a nutritionist friend told him this.

Deco, my problem is getting off of my lazy butt and going to the gym. The topic actually came up when I told him I was going to McDonald''s to pick up an asian chicken salad and he went off about how salads are really not that good for you. I told him this one isn''t so bad if you get the grilled chicken and the low-fat dressing.

Skippy, my boss is actually a man and I don''t think he''s into south beach. He does these weight lifting competitions and triathalons and is always having to lose a few pounds to get into a different weight class in really short periods of time. I have a feeling his methods are not the healthiest.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Robbie, my doctor told me to stay away from baby carrots because they have a lot more fructose and are not as nutritious. The regular kind that are long and full grown that you clean and peal are much more nutritious. I''m not a nutritionist but that''s what the doc told me.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Having both worked at a bike/ski/swim shop in college AND dated someone who does Ironman triathlons, I can say that there isn''t always a method to their madness with nutrition.

Baby carrots do have a somewhat high sugar content for veggies, but unless you eat a bushel (thanks deco!) you''ll be fine. Calories in/calories out, THAT is how you gain or lose weight.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Ah but it is true...in my case...I do the no carb no sugar thing...dropped the extra pounds quickly. Here is an excerpt I found for you referencing the SugarBusters Diet: (you can find many supporters as well as non supporters. In my case...I was successful)

"You must virtually eliminate potatoes, corn, white rice, bread from refined flour, beets, carrots, and, of course, refined sugar, corn syrup, molasses, honey, sugared colas, and beer."

The basic plan is to eat high-fiber vegetables, stone-ground whole grains, lean and trimmed meats, fish, and fruits. If you choose alcohol, you should drink red wine. Bake, broil or grill meat, and cook with an oil that is high in mono- and polyunsaturated fats and low in saturated fats, such as canola. You eat three meals a day of moderate portions, and you can have snacks such as fruit and nuts, although fruit should be eaten by itself. And fruit is preferred over fruit juice, and best eaten a half hour before the meal.

You should eat: Meats, including:
Lean beef and pork , Canadian bacon, Poultry, Game meats such as venison, Fish and shellfish.

Vegetables, including: Beans, Lentils, Peas, Spinach ,
Lettuce, Squash, Zucchini, Mushrooms, Asparagus, Artichokes, Cabbage,
Celery, Cucumbers, Broccoli, Brussels, sprouts, Eggplant, Onions,

Fruits, including: Apples, Lemons and limes, Pears, Cherries, Raspberries, Kiwis, Grapefruits, Apricots, Melons other than watermelon, Tomatoes, Tangerines and oranges,

You also can have dairy products, and whole grains and cereals --- just don't add sugar to them! Spices and dark chocolate are also permitted.

You should not eat:
Baked beans, Carrots, Corn, Ripe, bananas, Raisins, White bread, pasta, rice, Potatoes, Beer, Bacon, fried chicken, most cold cuts.

I would like to add...after 2 months on this regime, I incorporated the carrot back into my diet. As others mentioned it has far too many benefits to be exonerated. However if one is Diabetic, or Hypogycemic, these guidlines can be helpful if followed. We are talking about sugar starches and blood levels.
My SIL was a size 9-10 got on this regime and has maintained a TEENY size 3. Fingers were a size 6 now prefers 4.5. She does NO exercise. Just refuses to eat any sugary subtance or white carb. Oh she always takes Sunday as a free for all!
First few days you want any thing sweet including lip gloss...but once you get your body off of sugar...flavors are more intense. Well, at least this was my experience. A little carrot grated on a salad...you will be fine. If you are juicing 2 lbs of carrot every morning...I would definately reconsider.

This is a very onesided approach. It is not right for everyone. And many may argue removing carbs are not healthy. I will tell you as a swimmer I found it extremely difficult to do my mile with low intake of carbs. I had to incorporate some back in to have the endurance I needed. But I always choose a whole grain, over a fluff of white refined "gluten" nonsense. Cut out the fluff carbs laden with sugars at least, is my point.
34.gif
Do your homework!!

Learn that muscle burns fat...exercise or weight lifting adds muscle...so start there. Get your muscle tissue working for you, instead free riding...Your glutes and your bum and your biceps are your largest muscle masses...work them and your metabolism will increase and the fat will melt off. Carrot or no carrot..honest!!

DKS

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2007 10:19:09 PM
Author: door knob solitaire

Ah but it is true...in my case...I do the no carb no sugar thing...dropped the extra pounds quickly. Here is an excerpt I found for you referencing the SugarBusters Diet: (you can find many supporters as well as non supporters. In my case...I was successful)

'You must virtually eliminate potatoes, corn, white rice, bread from refined flour, beets, carrots, and, of course, refined sugar, corn syrup, molasses, honey, sugared colas, and beer.'

The basic plan is to eat high-fiber vegetables, stone-ground whole grains, lean and trimmed meats, fish, and fruits. If you choose alcohol, you should drink red wine. Bake, broil or grill meat, and cook with an oil that is high in mono- and polyunsaturated fats and low in saturated fats, such as canola. You eat three meals a day of moderate portions, and you can have snacks such as fruit and nuts, although fruit should be eaten by itself. And fruit is preferred over fruit juice, and best eaten a half hour before the meal.

Lean beef and pork , Canadian bacon, Poultry, Game meats such as venison, Fish and shellfish.

Fruits, including: Apples, Lemons and limes, Pears, Cherries, Raspberries, Kiwis, Grapefruits, Apricots, Melons other than watermelon, Tomatoes, Tangerines and oranges,

You also can have dairy products, and whole grains and cereals --- just don't add sugar to them! Spices and dark chocolate are also permitted.

You should not eat:
Baked beans, Carrots, Corn, Ripe, bananas, Raisins, White bread, pasta, rice, Potatoes, Beer, Bacon, fried chicken, most cold cuts.

I would like to add...after 2 months on this regime, I incorporated the carrot back into my diet. As others mentioned it has far too many benefits to be exonerated. However if one is Diabetic, or Hypogycemic, these guidlines can be helpful if followed. We are talking about sugar starches and blood levels.
My SIL was a size 9-10 got on this regime and has maintained a TEENY size 3. Fingers were a size 6 now prefers 4.5. She does NO exercise. Just refuses to eat any sugary subtance or white carb. Oh she always takes Sunday as a free for all!
First few days you want any thing sweet including lip gloss...but once you get your body off of sugar...flavors are more intense. Well, at least this was my experience. A little carrot grated on a salad...you will be fine. If you are juicing 2 lbs of carrot every morning...I would definately reconsider.

This is a very onesided approach. It is not right for everyone. And many may argue removing carbs are not healthy. I will tell you as a swimmer I found it extremely difficult to do my mile with low intake of carbs. I had to incorporate some back in to have the endurance I needed. But I always choose a whole grain, over a fluff of white refined 'gluten' nonsense. Cut out the fluff carbs laden with sugars at least, is my point.
34.gif
Do your homework!!

Learn that muscle burns fat...exercise or weight lifting adds muscle...so start there. Get your muscle tissue working for you, instead free riding...Your glutes and your bum and your biceps are your largest muscle masses...work them and your metabolism will increase and the fat will melt off. Carrot or no carrot..honest!!

DKS
DKS what is up with the small print?? I can barely read your post, hehe. Also is it true if you eat a lot of carrots your skin turns orange?? I highly doubt this... Just was curious.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Oh I am so sorry about the font. It does look as if I am SCREAMING!! I try to change the font and the size I choose is the smallest available-1. Any advice on what I am doing wrong? When you change fonts it changes the size, but you can''t go back again. That post was TOO long to retype all over.

Silly me. (Not offended Kaleigh...I guess I will have to stay with the normal font from here on out. Oh poo.)

DKS

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/30/2007 10:25:20 PM
Author: Kaleigh

'You must virtually eliminate potatoes, corn, white rice, bread from refined flour, beets, carrots, and, of course, refined sugar, corn syrup, molasses, honey, sugared colas, and beer.'

You should eat: Meats, including: Lean beef and pork , Canadian bacon, Poultry, Game meats such as venison, Fish and shellfish.

You should not eat:

This is a very onesided approach. It is not right for everyone. And many may argue removing carbs are not healthy. I will tell you as a swimmer I found it extremely difficult to do my mile with low intake of carbs. I had to incorporate some back in to have the endurance I needed. But I always choose a whole grain, over a fluff of white refined 'gluten' nonsense. Cut out the fluff carbs laden with sugars at least, is my point.
34.gif
Do your homework!!

DKS
DKS what is up with the small print?? I can barely read your post, hehe. Also is it true if you eat a lot of carrots your skin turns orange?? I highly doubt this... Just was curious.
Yes too much carrot can turn your skin orange. A friend of mine came into work once with an orange hue we were all like WTH? Turns out she went nuts with carrot juice. She was juicing them & couldnt stop drinking it I guess
2.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
38.gif

Date: 4/30/2007 1:37:43 PM
Author: decodelighted

If portion-control is not your weakness, I''m sure they''re fine. Some folks can ''over do'' ANYTHING!
20.gif
3.gif
I''m one of those folks-portion control means nothing to me-
38.gif
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Vegas Angel, always had heard that but now I know it''s true.
2.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
They contain quite a bit of sugar relative to other veggies. If you are doing low-carb or pop them in your mouth like popcorn...weight gain could theoretically happen.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
The suggestion that carrots 'make you gain weight' is hilarious! What neatfreak said: Calories in, calories out that's what makes you gain or lose weight in the long run. You would have to eat about 8 carrots to have it come close to, say, a chocolate bar, 3 to have it equal one of those '100 calorie packs' of oreos or whatever, and about 20 to have it come close to a muffin. So, EVEN IF you have portion control issues, this is a good choice!

One large carrot has 30 calories and a tonne of nutrients and fibre. It's true that baby carrots are sugary-er. But compared to other snacks, this one has a pretty great nutrient to calorie ratio and a decidedly satisfying crunch.

Yay carrots! Yay vegetables!

ETA: no offence to DKS or anyone else. Just my 2 cts as an avid veggie nibbler with an under control (with regular concentration and effort...not just lucky metabolism) waist line.

Eating too much of anything, except cucumbers, will make you gain weight. And lord only know what eating too much cucumber will do to you. In the wise words of my grammy (and Epicurus) 'Everything in moderation'.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/30/2007 2:45:08 PM
Author: robbie3982
Mara, I didn't get a chance to ask. I believe he said that a nutritionist friend told him this.

Deco, my problem is getting off of my lazy butt and going to the gym. The topic actually came up when I told him I was going to McDonald's to pick up an asian chicken salad and he went off about how salads are really not that good for you. I told him this one isn't so bad if you get the grilled chicken and the low-fat dressing.

Skippy, my boss is actually a man and I don't think he's into south beach. He does these weight lifting competitions and triathalons and is always having to lose a few pounds to get into a different weight class in really short periods of time. I have a feeling his methods are not the healthiest.
I wonder if that is why he thinks that. It seems that many carbs are the enemy for weight lifters and body builders, carbs can only be eaten at certain times after workouts etc. Carrots I think have a higher carb content than many veggies so that might be why he says to avoid them. These are just my thoughts after getting addicted to Muscle and Fitness etc for men!
emembarrassed.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2007 10:25:20 PM
Author: Kaleigh

You should not eat:

34.gif
Do your homework!!

DKS
hehe Kaleigh, eat more carrots some say they good for eyes
10.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
One large carrot has 30 calories and a tonne of nutrients and fibre. It''s true that baby carrots are sugary-er. But compared to other snacks, this one has a pretty great nutrient to calorie ratio and a decidedly satisfying crunch.

Independant Gal...(No offense taken...honest) After re-reading my post I thought this may be helpful to add:

I completely agree with you!!!!!!!! Our diets lack beta carotene and the carrot is a fabulous way to get it. EAT COLOR, PEOPLE!!! (that statement has a comma- please read that right!! I am not recommending you any shade of people..ha ha.) But eat Bright colors dark green leafy veggies, bright orange peppers, red and yellow...COLOR!!! The carrot has antioxidants that help fight free radicals and outside attacks on our bodies (cancers and toxins). You also get a wallop of Vit C! It comes from the earth and technically we should also gain minerals and of course you have the fiber. SO all around the carrot might simply be a perfect food! Yea Carrot! Raw Raw Raw!! I agree Independant Gal-aka carrot cheerleader!!!

Bananas are high in potassium, vit a, b-6, abd C- and are a wonderful and satisfy as a snack. If you are lacking concentration or sluggish...take a banana. Once again...a very wonderful food! raw raw raaw!!!

However, when your body begins to metabolize these particular sugars...it can''t denote if it is actually a Chocolate candy bar, a bowl of creme brulee, or as it should the healthy sugar contained within the nutrients you desire. Class...what happens to our body when we eat Chocolate...and only chocolate? OR creme brulee and only creme brulee...or CARBS AND ONLY CARBS? We gain weight. Weight. Weight my friends.

I am a vegetarian. I feel any diet that restricts any particular NATURAL food is nutts. Especially the carrot. As I said I decided to reincorporate it back into my diet. I love fresh organic carrots. I am also a creationist. I feel everything we need to live a healthy life was also created for us...and it is here if we only choose to partike of it. Anything God created as food...for us...is actually what the ''manufacturer recommends''. He said to EAT HONEY. But He didn''t say to wallow and bathe and make a gluten of ourselves. Everything in moderation. Don''t you agree? Oh He created sugar cane...but did not intend for it to me a refined mainstay in our diet...either.

My intention was to address specifically what the "BOSS" should have added in his statement. I do so with great experience. The carrot along with other carbs I deleted from my diet allowed me to shed weight and as I gained muscle where the weight had been...I was able to tone and trim faster that the next person. I think He should have added a tad more information as not to add fear of one of the most delicious root vegetables we have. So Raw Raw raw...Gimme me a C! Gimme me an A!!!.....etc etc.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

DKS

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Yay bright coloured vegetables! Yay nutrients! Yay crunchy deliciousness! I am definitely a vegetable cheerleader, and particularly a carrot cheerleader.
36.gif

But can I just take this moment to say that it is a darn shame that vegetables all 'look' really good in America, but don't taste nearly as good as they do in, say, Germany or Italy? I assume this is because they are genetically engineered to be resistant to ... pests? and also to be BIG and SHINY. But whenever I go to Europe and go to the market and chomp into my carrot (or tomatoes, etc.) it's an ENTIRELY different experience from eating American vegetables. The flavour is so robust. Veggies here are, well, a little on the bland side.

There are many things I really enjoy about living in America, but there's nothing like a non-genetically engineered sweet delicious crunchy German carrot. (I'm not German by the way, just have had some of my finest carrot-chomping-moments there).

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/30/2007 6:21:57 PM
Author: lumpkin
Robbie, my doctor told me to stay away from baby carrots because they have a lot more fructose and are not as nutritious. The regular kind that are long and full grown that you clean and peal are much more nutritious. I''m not a nutritionist but that''s what the doc told me.
Weird doctor... baby carrots are just regular carrots cut into small pieces. It''s not like they''re grown differently.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2007 11:30:49 AM
Author: AmandaPanda

Weird doctor... baby carrots are just regular carrots cut into small pieces. It''s not like they''re grown differently.
Actually he told me they are grown hydroponically, they are a different variety than the regular kind and they have been bred for sweetness.

I decided to check this on the web and here''s a link I found.

http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/html/2002/06/24/17556.php

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Independant gal...

I have not experienced eating produce in other countries. But I do realize other countries do respect the end product over the dollar in the crop. American farmers are over farming and they never allow a field to rest...(grow for 6 years lay fallow for the 7th...) as suggested. Our mineral content in our soils are so depleted that our produce lacks many of the attributes it was designed for. So, as you say they have to pump it up to make it look attractive to the consumer. Our apples, cucumbers and tomatoes are many times waxed to make them more attractive. Yuk.
8.gif

My husband remembers a time that a carrot or an apple were considered dessert. A favorite Christmas gift for children would have been fruit. Such as a bright red apple. Now, hand a kid an apple and he will say, "DO I have to?" It used to be sweet as candy. You are right...they taste like well, they have no flavor.

Organic is all we have now that may be close to what you are describing.

DKS

ADMIN: Can you change my font size on my original post? It is getting bigger each time I open this topic. People are going to think I was screaming!!

Oh Lumpkin and Panda...the new potato has less starch than a mature variety of say a russet variety potato. I don''t know if that can be added to the carrot baby issue you are talking about...but I find it interesting. Eat a yam, sweet potato over a regular potato...it has a slower sugar absorption that its conterpart. Funny isn''t it? The yam is far sweeter you would think the opposite.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha, yes Irina, me eyes are getting bad!!! Must eat more carrots!!!
31.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
DKS, I''m not sure, but I think ''organic'' just means ''organically grown'' as in, without pesticides. But i''m guessing that stuff is still seriously genetically engineered because whenever I go to Whole Foods, all the gleaming veggies are still freakishly, uniformly, perfect looking. I guess people buy veggies because they LOOK perfect, not for the taste, otherwise they''d be engineering super-carroty-tasting-delicious-carrots instead of uniformly perfect looking ones.
7.gif

Although it sounds like, from what Lumpkin says, they genetically engineer baby carrots to be sugary!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2007 1:16:56 PM
Independant gal...

Oh Lumpkin and Panda...the new potato has less starch than a mature variety of say a russet variety potato. I don''t know if that can be added to the carrot baby issue you are talking about...but I find it interesting. Eat a yam, sweet potato over a regular potato...it has a slower sugar absorption that its conterpart. Funny isn''t it? The yam is far sweeter you would think the opposite.

Definitely, I think it''s very relevant. I was really amazed to find out that yams are better for you than russets and I didn''t already know about the new potatoes. I think most of the nutrients are in the skin of the white potatoes. While I was pregnant I followed the Bradley diet and we were supposed to eat one (or was it two, can''t remember now) baked potatoe with the skin each week.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
http://www.becomehealthynow.com/article/carbs/8/

According to this site, carrots have a high glycemic index. Even so, I would imagine that if you ate a balanced, nutritional diet carrots would be very beneficial. But I suppose if you were preparing for a photo shoot and you''re a body builder, carrots might be off the list, as would a lot of fruits.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2007 11:30:49 AM
Author: AmandaPanda

I saw a whole show on how baby carrots are really regular carrots cut small to look like babies. I found it is interesting they are not baby''s at all.

Here is article also repeating what AmandaPanda and I are saying http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/2004-08-11-baby-carrot_x.htm

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Yeah--real baby carrots are pretty much nothing when you peel and trim them, not the neat fat little chunks sold in bags....

On the whole, for my part "carrots make you fat" is nonsense....vegetables are good for you people. Heck, dare I say it--Pasta, brown rice, couscous and (gasp!) wheat bread are good for you as well...

Something just feels viscerally wrong to me about cutting out foods with such a rich cultural tradition and history. We''ve been eating bread for a dang long time people--I don''t think it''s related to the obesity epidemic...

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
^^ Seems like pretty much anything we put into our mouths is going to make us fat, give us cancer, etc..

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2007 7:31:32 PM
Author: VegasAngel
^^ Seems like pretty much anything we put into our mouths is going to make us fat, give us cancer, etc..

Hehehe, ain''t that the TRUTH!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results