shape
carat
color
clarity

Car Key fob warning

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Hey all, this is a pubic service announcement. I went out to my garage to go somewhere and my keyfob would not work and start the car. Luckily I had some of the right batteries and googled how to change it. My car is 4 years old and I never gave any thought to the battery (this is my first car that does not start with a regular key) and has a push button start.

Apparently there is a way to start the car with a dead battery but it is not the easiest thing to figure out. I am SO glad I was at home and not in a dark parking lot somewhere in the cold snowing winter trying to figure out how to get home!!

Apparently the average life is 3 to 4 years on the batteries. I changed my spare key fob as well.

I marked my google calendar to remind me every two years to change the batteries preventatively so I never find myself in a situation with a dead key fob.

Anyway, I am posting this to prevent others from having this problem.

On a side note, I miss regular car keys to start cars. I really don't like the push button start. but it is here to stay I think. Although I love, love, love my back up camera.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last year we had this happen
but it set off the car alarm to alert the entire neighbourhod we had a problem
We had to disconnect the car battery

I think it pays to buy some of those dinky little tiny batteries now before you need them
we had to try 3 places before we found some

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
See, that is why I miss regular keys! Setting off car alarm, I don't think I would know how to disconnect the car battery! That must have been so frustrating for you, I am sorry that happened. I agree, good to have batteries ahead of needing them. And good to change before they die!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what happened to me the other day. I was actually out, but I jiggled with the battery, and did get the car started and got home. I took my car in for service this week, took both key fobs and had them change the batteries as the spare fob (although unused) was also low. Just under 4 years for mine, although in the last year with lockdown, I’ve hardly used the car at all.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the car tip! Good idea to mark my calendar

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
See, that is why I miss regular keys! Setting off car alarm, I don't think I would know how to disconnect the car battery! That must have been so frustrating for you, I am sorry that happened. I agree, good to have batteries ahead of needing them. And good to change before they die!

It was when Gary was really sick
it was a huge pain in the b*m
It was the Lexus
All our cars had always had regular keys before this so it was a learning curve
its a very good idea your thread

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My fobs have keys in a hidden compartment and I can use the key to open the door and the push button starter button is removable and then I can use the key to start the car. I assumed all cars had these as a standard safety feature.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:doh: Yet another false promise from technology. :wall:

While I am of course opposed to the bad things that the Unabomber did, he nailed it regarding the false promises of technology. :nono:

When I bought my new car a few years back I said I don't want your $600 fob, just an old-school metal key ... and I don't want any dashboard screen that distracts the driver.
Please sell me a cheaper model.

They said (basically) tough sh!t boomer; go buy an old car.
:knockout:

Last edited:

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Yes, after googling, I found my car has these features as well. but if I was in a dark parking lot trying to get home and my key fob didn't work, it would have been a pain to figure this out.

Anyway, I am glad I was in my garage when it happened and plan to preventatively change from now on every two years.

Kenny, I tried to get a car with a key too and was told no. The only reason I use my screen is for the back up camera. Other than that, I agree with you, unnecessary distraction.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results