shape
carat
color
clarity

Can''t settle on a dress

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m truly embarassed to tell all of you how many times I''ve been wedding dress shopping but I will say that I am having the most difficult time settling in on a dress. I think what is causing me to falter is the fact that I am having a winter wedding, so I feel that I should have a satin gown with sparkle. I feel that satin and sparkle is "appropriate" for the season. The problem is, it really isn''t me. I love lace and antique looking gowns, (think pronovias, christina wu.) So, there are a couple of gowns I really love but I''m feeling like they just won''t look right for a winter wedding.

What do you ladies think? Should I try and find a satin gown? Do any of you have an idea that might be a happy medium? I''m going dress shopping AGAIN today, so any ideas or help would be so appreciated.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I say you buy whatever you will feel beautiful in! Forget what you think is appropriate for the season.
I thought the same thing, then I tried on the dress that made me feel so special and I knew it didn''t matter!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 11:46:20 AM
Author: CrookedRock
I say you buy whatever you will feel beautiful in! Forget what you think is appropriate for the season.
Ditto. Who cares about what''s commonly done for winter weddings. This dress is about YOU.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 11:53:33 AM
Author: mscushion

Ditto. Who cares about what''s commonly done for winter weddings. This dress is about YOU.

Thritto! Plus, I love the look of a lace gown in the winter. Maybe you could ''winterize'' your ensemble by pairing it with a fur stole, like Freke''s?

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think there is really a wedding dress style for each season! You have to think more about the feel of your wedding. I can tell you I would still be wearing my "couture" style gown even if I was having my ceremony on the beach! Go with your favorite dress regardless of anything else!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should wear what you feel beautiful in.
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought the same thing, then I tried on the dress that made me feel so special and I knew it didn''t matter!
Ditto ditto ditto! I am getting married in the winter too, and I just picked a dress I loved. Now for accessories...then you can get really wintery!!! (Hence my fur wrap thing.)

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lace is very wintery! Like snowflakes!

Wear whatever you feel right in, the season doesn''t matter as long as it''s not too out there, like a strapless, sundress.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Funny you should say that, when I think winter I think lacy Pronovias gowns! (bias: mine is a lacy Pronovias in almost winter) Get what makes you feel gorgeous!

ETA: Oh yeah, if you do try on some Pronovias, take pics and post. There are some serious junkies around here who require their fix! Myself included, of course!
18.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
At first I too was wrapped up in making sure that the kind of reception I have matches the style of gown (or vice versa) abut I gave up and just went with what I loved and felt beautiful and wedding sexy in.

Do what your heart tells you and get the gown you love! I promise you that no one will be thinking that its inappropriate for the season.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had this EXACT same issue when i was shopping for a dress. I am getting married in December, and i love lacy vintage looking dresses, but i kept thinking satin/sparkle/winter when i went looking. I did end up with a satin dress that i really liked, but i was torn between that and some lacy ones -- in the end, a great sample and price pushed me toward the satin dress.

Every single friend or relative i asked about this agreed with what these smart ladies have said - wear what you like and what you feel beautiful in. Lace can be very wintery, and would look devine with some winter accessories!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I totally think lace can be wintery, especially if, as the other ladies said, its paired with wintery accessories, like a faux fur wrap or similar. And if you need more sparkle, there''s always sparkly accessories
2.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I'm wearing a knee length gown at the end of September in NY; definitely not the most "appropriate" choice
2.gif
. Sometimes what you love isn't necessarily the most appropriate thing you can find, but it doesn't matter because you love it! If you really love lace and vintage looking dresses, go for it. You'll feel so much more confident in it and that will show.

And for what it's worth, I think lace goes wonderfully with a winter wedding. I think it reminds me a little of snowflakes ...

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go with what you love as well.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Lace is totally wintry! I''m getting married just after Christmas and am wearing a lace Pronovias dress. Which also has a little sparkle! (Can''t see it in the pics.) NEVER go with what you think you *should* have. Just go with what you love. You''ll be a million times more beautiful in it
1.gif

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
House Cat: I agree with everyone else who said GO WITH WHAT YOU LOVE! :)

My wedding is December 19th and I have a champagne-colored dress with an ivory lace overlay... and I think it SCREAMS winter!
3.gif
Perhaps I''m biased?

When I think of winter... I think of... (Bear w. me if you haven''t seen this) the movie rendition of Little Women with Kirsten Dunst and Winona Ryder and Claire Danes. Of the girls in their burgundy dresses and bows and lace and somewhat earthy tones. Warm, rich, vintage, classic. Instead of bright white and sparkle, I think of soft off-white and deep red and gold.

Of course, there''s also the bright blue, silver, white, sparkly type of winter-theme.

But anyways... Lace can TOTALLY be for winter! Trust me!
1.gif

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all of your encouragement. I REALLY needed it! Well, I shopped the day I posted this, and I ALMOST settled on a satin, fit and flare dress. I''m so glad that I went home and thought about it first, because in doing that, I realized that the dress really wasn''t me. I''m not about putting up a front on any day, especially on the day that I''m going to marry the man that I love. I want to be authentic and true to myself. Sooo...with your encouragement and yet another trip to the one bridal shop that I''ve gone to again and again, I bought my gown today. It is the La Sposa Fano. It''s funny, I''ve tried on so many of the gowns from the Pronovias line, but I never tried on this one. Too bad, because if I had, I would have saved myself a lot of time!

So, here is a pic. The gown is way too big, but I hope you get the idea.

this n that 141 edited copy no face.jpg

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the model...

fano2.jpg

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! A really lovely choice!

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
*sigh*
30.gif
30.gif
So beautiful...

honey22

Ideal_Rock
You look fabulous in that dress, but when it comes down to it, you have to wear the dress that makes you feel like a princess
1.gif

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
That''s just BEAUTIFUL! Looks MUCH better on you than the model (why do all the models in wedding gown pics look like they are suffering from severe gastric distress? Like they all have bad gas or something? All hunched over and fretful looking?)

Anyway, our tastes are similar. I don''t care for the way satin looks on me, personally. I''m very glad you followed your heart on this one, you''re going to be a gorgeous bride!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That dress is gorgeous on you!!!
36.gif
And I agree that you look better in it than the model!!!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

You are STUNNNNNNNNNNING!

So glad you went with your *heart* on this one. You made the right choice!

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
That dress is GORGEOUS and STUNNING and FABULOUS and PERFECT FOR YOU!!!
30.gif

But then, it is a Pronovias ;-) And I am certainly biased!!!

Congratulations... it is going to look amazing at your winter wedding!!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 11:09:20 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
That dress is gorgeous on you!!!
36.gif
And I agree that you look better in it than the model!!!

Ditto, it looks amazing now so just think how utterly stunning it will be when fitted properly - congrats :D

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh thank you SO MUCH!! It feels so good to share all of this excitement with this wonderful group of ladies! You all have made me feel so happy today!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that dress; it looks great on you!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful choice! You look stunning!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results