shape
carat
color
clarity

Canadian Bride Seeks Perfect Gown

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend of mine is looking for the perfect bridal gown. I urged her to come over here to get some opinions. She has found one gown she loves and and she likes the *picture* of another, a Maggie Sottero, which she has not yet tried on.

She is short waisted and wants a gown with sleeves. As we all know, the current fashion for strapless gowns makes it hard to find gowns with sleeves.

I thought people might be able to help her to brainstorm here.

justme

Shiny_Rock
Ooohhh would love to help.

Is she looking for a certain look? Sheath, ball gown, empire, Aline, princess etc? or are all options game?

Sleeves as in capped or full? is a jacket an option or must the sleeves be part of the gown?

Is she short/ tall? Heavier/thin? What are her best features? Is she hourglass, pear, boy shaped?

not trying to be personal but trying to get an idea of what to look for.

Can you post pics of whats she's currently considering?

Justme

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 3/22/2003 8
6.gif
9:45 PM justme wrote:

Ooohhh would love to help.

Is she looking for a certain look? Sheath, ball gown, empire, Aline, princess etc? or are all options game?

Sleeves as in capped or full? is a jacket an option or must the sleeves be part of the gown?

Is she short/ tall? Heavier/thin? What are her best features? Is she hourglass, pear, boy shaped?

not trying to be personal but trying to get an idea of what to look for.

Can you post pics of whats she's currently considering?

Justme
----------------

I am hoping to drag her over here to answer your questions, Justme! I have *seen* pictures of the two dresses she is considering, but will let her post them as well as her requirements in a gown.

Thank you for your enthusiasm!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Guys,
I had a little chuckle when I saw this thread.
1.gif
Thank you Deb for thinking of me. I tried to upload the pic of the chosen dress (so far) but the file was too big. Not to mention that I'm a computer dummy & dont know how to shrink down pics.
loopy.gif

What I'm looking for:
-sleeves, either long, short or 3/4.
-ballgown, flat pannel or box pleats (as long as they dont -open up).
-Basque waist (preferred) or straight waist
-Beaded bodice & sleeves (no Alecon lace!!)
-V-neck, or square neck, would consider off the shoulder
-Beading around hem & train (preferred)
-Train, either detached or chapel length.

I know I know, quite a list! So far, there isnt much to choose from & am contemplating a custom gown. The seamstress is a friend of the family & she is a couture sewer so I know the gown would turn out wonderfully. She does do some really lovely work. The downside, despite being family friends, she charges a pretty penny.
eek.gif

I have some time to make my choice & I'm glad I started early.

Judy
:)

The dress I really like is Demetrios Ilissa, # 784.

emnightingale

Rough_Rock
OK!!!

I finally made it on to this board.

HERE is the gown that *I* picked out for CCU. It is a Maggie (lord knows I love those Maggies!) and I think that this gown would look fantastic on anyone because I didn't try on a single Maggie that wasn't extraordinarily flattering - unlike the other designers I tried on. It has pretty sleeves too. Plus, it is cheaper than the Demetrios.
appl.gif

Our Canadian bride has PROMISED me that she will at least *try* to try this one on. I know it will look fantastic on her, and when she sees in on herself she will fall in
love.gif

OK:

mg5871m.jpg

mg5872m.jpg

http://www.bridesave.com/search/index.cfm?action=details&product_id=7140

Em

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Judy,

Why not send the photo to Leonid and ask him to help you to post it? I am sure he would be able to figure out how to do it and equally sure he would not begrudge you the effort
1.gif

It is a shame not to share that one because the bodice and sleeves with the pearls are *exquisite*!!

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Em, that is a beautiful dress! It's a shame a woman has to actually get married to have an excuse to wear a wedding gown. >sigh<

I like the lace-up bodice as a style feature and a side benefit is that it allows customized fit. I also love the sheer sleeves.

I noticed on the website that the dress is two-piece. Your Maggie was also two-piece, wasn't it Em? Does that mean you can mix and match skirt bottoms with maggies?

emnightingale

Rough_Rock
Good question! I don't know if they can mix and match skirts. Mine *was* two pieces, which was absolutely wonderful, because first off, it was easy to get it on after I had my hair and makeup done, and second off, I think the overall effect was very slimming. It separated my good half (waist up) from my not-as-good half (hips down), and the boning and corset back sucked me in really good.

Here's a picture of what I mean. It's really of the bouquet, but I think from the picture one can see how neat and smooth the bodice is and how loose and flowy the skirt is.

Em

Informal4.jpg

emnightingale

Rough_Rock
One thing I like about that other gown, though, is that the skirt is organza. My skirt was polyester satin, like the bodice, and although it matched perfectly I really felt like a princess in the organza skirts I tried on.

I wish I could have bought like ten gowns.

Em

emnightingale

Rough_Rock
Gosh, that picture posted dark. My bouquet looks totally dead, doesn't it?

Em

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 3/23/2003 2:44
6.gif
3 PM emnightingale wrote:

Gosh, that picture posted dark. My bouquet looks totally dead, doesn't it?

Em
----------------

Nah. The picture is dark so the bouquet is dark. The flowers most definitely *DO NOT* look dead. And you have a neat little waist behind the bouquet. It's an enchanting picture of your middle. Now: please post a picture that included your head so that everyone can see more of you.

emnightingale

Rough_Rock
Biff,

You're the boss.
wavey.gif
Here's a picture of the whole thing. I hope Judy doesn't mind me highjacking her thread!

Em

Informal5.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the other dress:

THE Dress.......jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Em,

You are *such* a good girl! I had no idea you would obey me instantaneously! I love that picture of you. I now feel I am hijacking an area that should be about your gown and headpiece by sticking in a picture of a *model* in Judy's gown!

More bridal pictures of you, please!

Hugs,

Tali

Rough_Rock
Em! I just realized, I think we have the *same* wedding dress!! I need to look at mine again (it's in for the alterations), but I'm pretty sure they are indeed the same. If not, they sure are similar! 41 days to go!!!!!
appl.gif

CCU: I love the demetrios gowns, too. They were definitely on my list when I started looking. They are beautiful!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tali,

When the alterations are done, will you post a picture? (Please, that is
lickout.gif
.)

justme

Shiny_Rock
After looking quite awhile (wow sleeves are hard to find) here's my favorite of what I've seen so far.

Justme

wed dress.jpg

emnightingale

Rough_Rock
Tali,

That is SO funny!!!! Mine was the Maggie "Vogue." The bodice is brocade, and the skirt and tails are trimmed with the same brocade. Price range just under the 1K mark. Is that right?

Incidentally, one of my new coworkers has a daughter with my same name who also wore the same wedding gown at her wedding last year!!

Em

justme

Shiny_Rock
here were the other forerunners

wed dress 1.jpg

justme

Shiny_Rock
and this one

JES-21027-03.jpg

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi All,
Thanks Deb for posting that pic.
1.gif
Em, I have no problems with you hijacking my thread. haha I love the pics of you in your dress so go ahead.
2.gif

JustMe, I love that 1st dress you posted. Can you please tell me who makes that or what website you found it on? I would love to see what the skirt hem & train looks like.
I've seen some Reem Acra gowns with sleeves, but to be honest, I can have something custom for cheeper than those gowns.

Keep up the good work.
appl.gif

Judy

justme

Shiny_Rock
Judy -

Here's the web address and a pix of the back - it's a Marisa dress.

Also, you know you could have this type of sleeve added to any spagetti or tank style top? It would be an easy thing for a seamstress to do - as well as adding skirt/hem & train detail.

Most of the detail sleeve or skirt/train are appliques that are applied anymore - unless VERY expensive very little beading etc. is done by hand.

So this may help you find a dress easier - look for spagetti, bodice style & skirt style and make it yours by adding to it. Just another thought.

When will you start trying on? Will you post comments about those you do try on?

Justme

wed dress back.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all three gowns with sleeves you posted, Justme. I would prefer the sleeves on the second gown not be quite as wide at the cuff and that the neck on the third be a trifle different, but *all* of them are beautiful (in my opinion).

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JustMe,
Thank you for that information. In regards to adding sleeves to a tank dress, I've gotten nothing but a song & dance from the retailers. I asked that when we order the dress, can we order another yard of material & appliques to make sleeves, & they say no, no can do. BS! I am prepared to just get the gown custom done.

Em,
I called a couple shops that carry Maggies & they dont have that one with the sleeves. Of course they tell me we have many more. Ok, so ALL those many more are strapless! Thanks a lot! What you did give me was food for thought though. I'm thinking that I should get my gown done custom in 2 peices, like your dress. That would make sense since my upper body (slimmer) & lower body (fuller with short legs) are misproportioned. I think the corset top would look very nice on me. The square necklines look really good too (ie the Demetrios & that Marissa would look nice) as I can get the top of the gown to skim my boustier. I need an open neck being short.
2.gif
Off to pass the time online before going to work tonight.
8.gif

Judy

Tali

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 3/23/2003 11
6.gif
0:53 PM AGBF wrote:

Tali,

When the alterations are done, will you post a picture? (Please, that is
lickout.gif
.)
----------------

Oh, AGBF, what can I say? I am technologically challenged at the moment. No digi-cam and no scanner. I'll get pix up eventually, but I don't know when. I *will,* however, be searching for a digi-cam soon, as I want to take one on the honeymoon! We'll see if I get around to researching that before the big day....I'm skeptical, knowing how things tend to go.
tongue.gif

Tali

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 3/23/2003 11:17
6.gif
1 PM emnightingale wrote:

Tali,

That is SO funny!!!! Mine was the Maggie "Vogue." The bodice is brocade, and the skirt and tails are trimmed with the same brocade. Price range just under the 1K mark. Is that right?

Incidentally, one of my new coworkers has a daughter with my same name who also wore the same wedding gown at her wedding last year!!

Em
----------------

Sounds the same, but no label on mine. Got it off the rack at some discount bridal shop when I was visiting my MOH last fall. Yours have beading up at the top of the bodice, too? I think the beading consists of pearls and those tubular shaped glass (plastic?) ones. Can't remember for sure now. Before I took the dress in to the alterations place, I hadn't seen it for months, either. Fi asked me to have someone else store it so he wouldn't peak at it, which I thought was sweet.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay I admit I skipped over most of this thread but I did get that the bride wants a sleeved gown. That made this pop into my head..I've seen it in mags ten times over and I love the idea. You wear a simple sheath or slip gown underneath it, and it is a lace coat overlay or similar. This one is slightly busy for my taste, but in one of my other mags it had a beautiful organza one that was great. This works if you don't want the heaviness of the full gown, but want some sort of arm or skin coverage. Also great for an evening wedding for potential chill (though organza on the arms is not the best defense against cold..hee hee).

I will post the pic from the actual website next. This is a Priscilla of Boston overcoat. www.priscillaofboston.com.

mainpage_photo.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the pic from the website. Also I noted that the comment of 'short waisted' was made..that is totally my body shape as well. I'm tall with longer legs and a short waist..bah! Drop waist for me....or the longer sheath or slip dress which tends to hide most of my 'flaws' and drapes quite nicely over my entire body. Not only am I short waisted but I am also what is called thick waisted (hideous term), I just don't have a large indent for my waist but rather its a little straight, so things such as princess or ballgowns will most likely only emphasize that. Boo. Again..slip and/or sheath looking good.

If I can find an online picture of the gown I am considering I'll post it on a new thread at some point soon. It will be a real project as we will have to have it replicated, the original is $15000!
6.gif

priscilla overlay.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and how could I forget this one which I was looking at. Not really my style as I am normally not into sleeves, but I LOVE this gown!! It's a Reem Acra sample size 10 from www.bridecouture.com marked down to $2000. Also the owner of BC will negotiate...probably around a few hundred $$ (she told me this via email when I asked about one of her Vera Wangs).

reem acra.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 3/26/2003 1:32:26 AM Mara wrote:

----------------

I love looking at gowns and veils, but I got married with almost no notice and thus chose mine in a slapdash manner which did not allow me as much time as many brides to enjoy the process.

Today happens to be my 26th wedding anniversary. It was coincidental to see the name Priscilla of Boston because I remember that is who made my veil. (Not that the veil was what I had wanted, but there was no time to return it!)

I hadn't seen the name in years. I may go check out the website.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results