shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all the Pregnant PS''ers

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Pupp!!! I'm so excited for you!

Mia - I hope you don't mind but I thought I'd share that te hep lock is the ONE thing I would do differently if I could have another natural labor. I thought going in it was a good compromise but I should have just said no. It was uncomfortable and I had to be "aware" of it and couldn't get it too went in the tub, etc. the tape made me keep my hand in a weird position and I just felt like it was a hindrance to my concentration/free movement. Just my .02!

Back later for better response and update :) hope you lovely preggos had a great valentines day!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Mia, definitely let us know your suggested reads! Our childbirth prep class is tomorrow!! I'm freaking out-- I know the baby has to come out and I'm SO thankful the baby is healthy and we have had a good pregnancy, so I hope this isn't taken wrong, but I'm way nervous about the exit.

Hoping class helps me find ways to calm down because I also would prefer to go without an epi but I know tensing up makes it worse for me and the kiddo. Also hoping class will help the hubs see how to be supportive. I'm wondering if we should take notes? I have no idea what to expect... I guess almost 30 weeks is early for the class but the only other time it would fit in our schedule was at 36 weeks and they advised being done by 35. Besides, who knows how I would get up off the floor 6 weeks from now! :bigsmile:

The hospital supplies a birth plan packet and we've filled that out noting we are open to an epi only if the pain is unbearable and we request they wait til after a contraction to ask. Like you, Mia, I've never had serious injuries so I don't know what my threshold may be. Hoping it's higher than my family thinks, though!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I've been told by other mothers that my hospital requires an IV port in case immediate intervention is needed. I wonder if that's standard, though.

I will have to look more into it.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Fisher it varies by hospital. And certainly they want you to have one.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Also, if you are interested in going without there are great resources for pain management techniques. Like Mia, I read a lot (hypnobirthing was my fave for the way it described the process) and I went to a class that focused on helping you go natural if that's your goal. Our hospital classes didn't really touch on that. But every hospital is different, that's for sure! I hope your class helps calm your nerves :)

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick post from my phone. Baby boy is here! The contrax from earlier in the evening went away after a bath. I went to bed around 10 and contrax woke me up at about 1:30 or so. They became too uncomfortable to continue laying there around 2:15 so I started to time them. They averaged 5 minutes apart so we called doc (and grandmom!) at 3:00am. Got to the hospital at 3:30am and was 6cm dilated. Little boy was born at 5:20am. I think I've found my gift in life...a fast dilating cervix. Shame it'll never get put to use again! :lol:

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Pup---

Whoop whoop, Mama! Congrats! Snuggle on him a little from me. :)

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Congratuations Puppmom! Can't wait to see pictures.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats pupp family, I'm so happy for you :appl: :appl:

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Yay Pupp!!! That happened fast! Sending love to you. Can't wait to read the whole birth story!

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
great news Pupp! woot woot! i want a talented cervix too!!!!!! look forward to pictures!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Pupp! YAY! Congrats! I knew it! :appl: You do have an awesome cervix! I hope you come back and post a birth story soon!

Miscka Thanks for sharing your take on the hep-lock! Do you mind if I ask a few more questions? I don't know anyone who has actually had it! My hospital is pretty liberal with their policies (you can move around, they have portable fetal monitoring, you can labor down before pushing, etc.) but the one thing they are firm on is that you have to have an IV or at least the hep-lock. I know I can refuse it still, but I want to avoid drama if necessary. I had one installed before when I was in the ER and don't remember it being a big deal but I also had a head injury at the time so it's not like I was really coherent! So does it hurt? Is it heavy? Are you sensitive to that kind of stuff (does it hurt you to get blood drawn?). Being poked with needles doesn't really bother me but maybe it will when I am in the middle of labor! Did you end up needing the IV? My hospital doesn't have tubs (well they have one but it's the luck of the draw whether you get that room), but I thought they said you can wear it in the shower... Any more details would be a big help! Oh, and did you end up having a "hypnobirth?" Did it work for you? Unfortunately I am feeling like I have no methods to use because I am not a "suggestive" personality. I have always struggled with focusing my thoughts and concentrating and instead my thoughts bounce from subject to subject. I am not good at meditation or anything like that. I am just hoping to do what I can to get in my own little zone and move the way my body wants me to. I think it's hypnobirthing that tells you to visualize your cervix opening up like a flower so I am going to try things like that.

Fisher Seriously, read that book "Childbirth without fear" but get the latest version if you can. It's really about how women today are conditioned to fear birth and that's why it becomes so painful. If you read and educate yourself on what is normal, you will be less afraid when it is happening. The pain from childbirth is from the muscles trying to open up and it makes sense that if you tense up, you are working against your muscles. Also, the author says that most women ask for drugs not because of the pain that they are currently in, but because of the fear that it will get worse. Contractions last about a minute so think about how much pain you think you can endure for one minute before having a break. I'm not saying I believe birth can be pain free but I think there are ways to make it bearable at least long enough to delay the epidural for a bit if that's what you want to do. I want to delay the epidural for as long as possible, not because I believe it will hurt me or the baby but because I want to avoid the fluids and make sure it doesn't slow my labor down (I think studies show it doesn't but I'd rather not have to wonder). But then again, this is my first time doing this I may find (as I'm sure that many women have) that the pain is less manageable than expected and I will not make myself feel guilty for taking the drugs if I want them.

I have also heard reading Ina May Gaskin books really help women feel more confident about birth. I haven't read any yet, but I hear they are very positive and explain that childbirth is a natural process that our bodies are meant to do!

Definitely take notes at your childbirth classes! I don't think 30 weeks is too early, you'll be more comfortable sitting through a long class now than later for sure! Also it will give you things to think about and research when deciding what you want for your own birth and this way you will have time to figure it all out and make yourself more at ease with the process before it happens. And haha! my husband thinks I won't last a minute without the epi so I know how that goes. I think he underestimates me because I tend to whine to him the most! I know he will be proud of me whatever I choose though!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Pupp!! See you on the other side!

mia1181|1360951214|3380953 said:
Also, the author says that most women ask for drugs not because of the pain that they are currently in, but because of the fear that it will get worse. Contractions last about a minute so think about how much pain you think you can endure for one minute before having a break. I'm not saying I believe birth can be pain free but I think there are ways to make it bearable at least long enough to delay the epidural for a bit if that's what you want to do. I want to delay the epidural for as long as possible, not because I believe it will hurt me or the baby but because I want to avoid the fluids and make sure it doesn't slow my labor down (I think studies show it doesn't but I'd rather not have to wonder). But then again, this is my first time doing this I may find (as I'm sure that many women have) that the pain is less manageable than expected and I will not make myself feel guilty for taking the drugs if I want them.
I wanted to comment on this, because my nurse totally freaked me out by telling me how the 'ring of fire' could last 15 minutes or more! :shock: :errrr: I was doing fine with breathing through contractions but after this my head started to go crazy with potential pain factor. I ended up asking for an epi at 9cm, then skipping it when they told me baby would probably be here before the epi took effect, and it was fine. For me, the pain was manageable with breathing, and holy hell, pushing through contractions when it was time was the greatest thing ever. The squat bar was also the greatest thing ever. :cheeky: Good luck and healthy pregnancies everyone! :wavey:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sunnyd|1360969283|3381243 said:

Also, the author says that most women ask for drugs not because of the pain that they are currently in, but because of the fear that it will get worse. Contractions last about a minute so think about how much pain you think you can endure for one minute before having a break. I'm not saying I believe birth can be pain free but I think there are ways to make it bearable at least long enough to delay the epidural for a bit if that's what you want to do. I want to delay the epidural for as long as possible, not because I believe it will hurt me or the baby but because I want to avoid the fluids and make sure it doesn't slow my labor down (I think studies show it doesn't but I'd rather not have to wonder). But then again, this is my first time doing this I may find (as I'm sure that many women have) that the pain is less manageable than expected and I will not make myself feel guilty for taking the drugs if I want them.
I wanted to comment on this, because my nurse totally freaked me out by telling me how the 'ring of fire' could last 15 minutes or more! :shock: :errrr: I was doing fine with breathing through contractions but after this my head started to go crazy with potential pain factor. I ended up asking for an epi at 9cm, then skipping it when they told me baby would probably be here before the epi took effect, and it was fine. For me, the pain was manageable with breathing, and holy hell, pushing through contractions when it was time was the greatest thing ever. The squat bar was also the greatest thing ever. :cheeky: Good luck and healthy pregnancies everyone! :wavey:

Congrats Puppmom!!!

I wanted to comment on the quoted as well. It was more difficult for me than I think it should have been to find support for a drug-free labor and delivery. I mentioned it on this thread once and someone (who was well-meaning, I'm sure) responded to me in what I took as a less-than-encouraging way, and I have to say that that really stuck with me and it even kept popping into my mind during my labor. It wasn't meant to offend me, but it came from someone who was a health care professional and I was also somewhere around the last couple weeks of my pregnancy at the time so it was fresh in my mind still when I went into labor. Of course I don't blame that person, but the idea that it's ok to say something that is not supportive of someone's idea of going drug free is not cool and it has a real effect, at least it did for me. It is totally possible to get through L & D without an epidural. My particular circumstances during labor also contributed to my finally asking for an epidural, and yes, one of the reasons I didn't think I could go ahead without one was because I was so scared the pain was going to become completely unmanageable and that I'd pass out or no longer have any control over my body. My husband and I had had a plan, and that plan was for him to help me avoid an epi and try to talk me out of it. He tried but I overruled his soothing words and ended up begging for one. In the end I wasn't sorry I had one; it was just how it worked out. However, I am still upset over the lack of support I found but next time I give birth I will at least be better prepared and hope to deliver without an epi.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sunnyd|1360969283|3381243 said:

Congrats Puppmom!!!

I wanted to comment on the quoted as well. It was more difficult for me than I think it should have been to find support for a drug-free labor and delivery. I mentioned it on this thread once and someone (who was well-meaning, I'm sure) responded to me in what I took as a less-than-encouraging way, and I have to say that that really stuck with me and it even kept popping into my mind during my labor. It wasn't meant to offend me, but it came from someone who was a health care professional and I was also somewhere around the last couple weeks of my pregnancy at the time so it was fresh in my mind still when I went into labor. Of course I don't blame that person, but the idea that it's ok to say something that is not supportive of someone's idea of going drug free is not cool and it has a real effect, at least it did for me. It is totally possible to get through L & D without an epidural. My particular circumstances during labor also contributed to my finally asking for an epidural, and yes, one of the reasons I didn't think I could go ahead without one was because I was so scared the pain was going to become completely unmanageable and that I'd pass out or no longer have any control over my body. My husband and I had had a plan, and that plan was for him to help me avoid an epi and try to talk me out of it. He tried but I overruled his soothing words and ended up begging for one. In the end I wasn't sorry I had one; it was just how it worked out. However, I am still upset over the lack of support I found but next time I give birth I will at least be better prepared and hope to deliver without an epi.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Pupp!!!! Wonderful news!!!

Mia - I never had an IV. I'm not terribly sensitive, I don't think. If you don't have a tub and can shower with it it may be total different ball game! I just felt like I kept bumping it, and like I said I couldn't fully submerge it which bothered me. It was just an annoyance that I didn't need. It wasn't really heavy but it just felt weird. I know that's vague! If you have to have one I don't think it's worth the drama to fight, especially with no tub. I had to wear a taped glove if I wanted to get my hand wet! And I love Ina Mays books. I def did NOT have a hypnobirth. Hahaha I was not zen enough to focus. I just like that book for the way she describes the labor process.

Re: Monnie and the above quoted - very excellent points! The way I looked at it was, hey, once it gets REALLY tough it's too late for an epi anyway ;-) and you can make it through. At ab 9cm I was questioning myself but no choice but to power on! And the feeling after is wonderful and worth it (IMO!). I can't have a natural labor this time, and I can't tell you how much that sucks - I will be cheering for you ladies! You can totally do it. Random things that helped - yoga ball, reheatable heat pack, tennis balls, cold washcloths.

moxie.moo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ladies for the input. Sounds like most of you have escaped the GD--I am so happy for you! I met with my ob and my husband yesterday. They scheduled me for NST/ultrasound/ob visits every Friday until 4/5 when they'll likely induce me ten days early, and I have to eat a bit more so I'll start gaining weight again. They are also contacting L & D in the hospital I work in to see if I can do the 2nd weekly NST there on my lunch break, even though they're not affiliated with that particular site. Fingers crossed that works out. The ob also suggested I stop weekly visits with Diabetes Life Care since I'm primarily diet-controlled and my numbers all look good, although I'm not sure they'll renew my prescriptions if I don't follow their carefully outlined contract. Hopefully I won't need an amnio for the induction. So no changes in the plan but at least they are being understanding of my schedule and I felt heard, which made me feel better even if it didn't improve much! Will be losing time with my baby girl at home to make it work, but I know a healthy baby is the ultimate goal so I'll keep plugging away. Congrats on the new baby, Pupp, and keep baking those babies ladies!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick light hearted posted from the hospital. Funny things people say after you have a baby.

SIL: why does it say "vag" on your chart? When I explained it stood for vaginal delivery, she said "oh, I guess this I'd one place it's acceptable to say vag!"
Mom: I'm surprised you're so sore because he's so little.
I think his nose is squished from pressing against your cervix.
DH: Does it feel like vacation to be here with nothing to do?
MIL: I think I'm going to call him "Tonto" because he looks Native American. Do you have any American Indian in your family?

They mean well! :lol: everyone really has been great though and I appreciate the company. DH has to care for N so he can't stay with me. It gets lonely here!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Puppmom, Many congrats to you and your family!! Ohhh, you always make it seem so easy!! So awesome that your LD was so quick, again!! So, did you guys decide on a name yet?? I'm not sure if you said, have to go back and check!

And, oh, your above post is one of the funniest things I've read in a while! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LV, I do feel so lucky in the labor department! I think I'm fortunate in that my body seems to be willing to dilate pretty far before the contractions are really rough (trust me - I do NOT have a high pain tolerance!). I've had poor friends who are in terrible pain but not making progress.

Oh, and his name is Nathan. :love:

Thanks everyone for your well wishes! Baby Nate and I are doing well!

Eta-here he is fresh out of the oven!

_3770.jpg

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
puppmom|1361108736|3382261 said:
LV, I do feel so lucky in the labor department! I think I'm fortunate in that my body seems to be willing to dilate pretty far before the contractions are really rough (trust me - I do NOT have a high pain tolerance!). I've had poor friends who are in terrible pain but not making progress.

Oh, and his name is Nathan. :love:

Thanks everyone for your well wishes! Baby Nate and I are doing well!

Eta-here he is fresh out of the oven!

:love: Awwww, SWEETNESS!!! :love: Welcome to the world little baby Nathan!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: Has N met him already???

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Technically they met yesterday but N was so
Overwhelmed by hospital that he kept asking to go home. DH has been working with him in the idea though so he knows that mommy is at the doctor having a baby. He's struggling with the name though. We have friends with a son name Ethan (he's N's buddy) so when you say Nathan, N says Ethan. So DH told him to say Nate and he said, "eat!" :lol:

ETA-forgive all of my phone errors!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Puppmom on beautiful baby Nathan!!!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Pupp!!! Welcome Nathan!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations, pupp! Nathan is gorgeous!

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations Puppmom! He's so cute - I want to snuggle him! Too funny on all the comments you received from the well meaning family!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations puppmom!! That IS one fast dilating cervix - go you!! Nathan is precious - those eyelashes! :love: Makes me so ready to meet my little bun!!

Hi ladies, just a quick post from me. 41 weeks tomorrow. No baby yet! We finally got everything pretty much ready to go yesterday, minus a few minor things I'm working on around the house today. Have another checkup this afternoon with an NST. Things are definitely happening inside - contractions are getting stronger and more frequent, just not quite consistent yet that we can tell. I've had a few that are definitely more painful, sometimes with menstrual crampiness, sometimes with what almost feels like gas and is hard to differentiate. The midwife did speculate last week that I might have a higher pain tolerance than I realize, since it seems like I've been having lots of contractions for a while, so we'll see.

pavelover, thanks for the recommendation on the belt. I did consider one earlier on and never followed through with it. At this point it's not on my radar, but I can see how it would be beneficial - that pain is ever present at this point, even when I'm just laying on my side in bed with my legs together.

TG, I think I have had some sharp cervix pain too. Sometimes it feels like the baby is trying to twist its head right out. I don't have the "bowling ball" feeling, but I have had movements in there that stop me in my tracks, same as you, and take a few moments for me to recover from.

Mia, haha I can imagine scanning and seeing the words FELL OUT in a pregnancy post. Yeah I tried to work as long as possible, because we only get the FMLA 12 weeks at work, unpaid of course, so you have to use any leave you have, and thank goodness my husband works for the same organization and can donate me some time, because we prefer not to have a lapse in my pay. Long story short, I wanted as much time home with the baby as possible, vs. time at home alone before the baby comes.
Oh, and yes I'm fairly certain the pain down there is the pubic symph. stuff - apparently because of the baby getting low and the bones and ligaments separating thanks to the hormones.
Also, we sound so much alike in our personalities, haha - I also am not good at meditation, and a lot of times it is hard for me to focus my thoughts. My husband is such the opposite and doesn't understand when I can't get my brain to turn off or quit jumping all over the place. I'm just going into labor with the goal of remaining positive, staying relaxed and not tense, remembering that the pain has a purpose, and women have been doing this for as long as we have existed. And of course relying on my husband for support and to remind me of those things and bring some laughter into the situation as well.

Miscka and Mia, I am also interested in the input on the hep lock. That has been my compromise on my birth plan as well, especially since they talked about how it would be beneficial in case something does turn into an emergency, then they're not dealing with trying to stick you and find a vein quickly. I didn't think about it in the tub - we'll either have a shower or a regular sized tub if we can get it (with jets) - I'm going to have to rethink this now. I hate IVs anyway, but no real fear of needles (just don't like stuff stuck in me like that and staying - gives me the creeps) so I know having this thing sticking out my hand or arm is going to annoy me as something I have to be aware of. I definitely don't want to have to wear a taped glove...
Miscka, thank you also for the random things that helped - good to hear!!

I will be 38w on thursday! I've had soooo much urine and blood work I am just tired of it.

I am still on zofran, but much less... I've found that the days that I DO take my iron (w food.. wo food) I feel so sick and need more.
I have gained a total of 9-10lbs this pregnancy and baby is doing very well! Because of my GD doctor said he is not opposed to inducing me between 39 and 40w... but that he does NOT want me going past 40w. I'm ok with that. I am seriously so miserable.

Vent: My parents are going on a cruise this week and will be back 4 days before my due date. I am really irritated by this. My mom tells people they are going on vacation and everyone says, "Oh isn't Bean due then?" and she says, "You don't understand, she doesn't want me there anyways- so it doesn't matter." I'm like WTH MOM! She makes me to be the bad person because I told her she would NOT be a waiting room warrior and would not be allowed to visit until after baby girl is born and I'm cleaned up. That goes for everyone else too. I don't think that's unrealistic!? I figure my husband got me into this mess, he can get me through it :bigsmile: I am just really disappointed in my mom... justifying her vacation by saying that I don't want her visiting at ALL.

Last week after I got my blood/ urine done, there was a small amount of protein and a fair amount of glucose in my urine. My hemoglobin has gone up again (yay! 11.2) but my platelets continue to drop. I have noticed lately that my blood seems really runny after my GD testing.. it doesn't want to clot. I am getting a little panicked about this. Anyway- I had to do a 24hr urine collection :roll: and it came back within an OK range. Glad I'm not adding pre-e to my never ending list of problems.

Ladies... do you guys think I need a swing? We have everything else, but really don't want to get a huge swing just to use it for a few months and then have to store it! Any ideas?

Oh, I totally had a dream last night that I went into labor and didn't know it.. and within 20 mins had baby at home. It was a boy (we're having a girl). Ha. These dreams are getting crazyyyy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results