shape
carat
color
clarity

Business clothes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I just got an internship at a local environmental agency, and now I have nothing to wear. This is the first time I have ever had to buy actual office clothes, and I''m having some issues. I have been to the mall twice in the past three days, and have found only one thing that sort of fits. I am short (4''11"), and petite pants don''t fit me correctly, so I would have to get those tailored both at the waist and at the hem. A-line skirts works, but it''s hard to shop even at regular stores because the skirts always hit me at the wrong place. So for those of you that are small, or have friends who are short, where do you find office clothes? I have to get a couple things soon because I start on Friday, but have to go in tomorrow for some paperwork. Thank you in advance!

*M*

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try Talbots. The stuff is a bit conservative (which is not necessarily a bad thing) but I''m in the 5 foot tall category and find that even most of their petite pants fit me without being tailored. I don''t wear many skirts, but back when I used to I remember that Talbot''s skirts fit me pretty well too from a length standpoint.

As a worst case scenario (and don''t laugh!) try the petite department at Sears for a few basics to hold you over. They have a few lines (some of which I think really might be house brands) but again the length is good for me. Look for Apostrophe and Covington.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t know they carried petite sizes! There is one by my house so I will definitely check it out, thank you!

*M*

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
luckyhonu is pretty tiny (5''0"?) and she swears by Theory, i think they must have a petite line...i love their line of regular dress pants as well. they are expensive but you can get deals sometimes at loehmanns or at nordstrom sales and i love having 1-2 really great more expensive pieces that work with almost anything!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Theory carries things in size 00, which fits tiny LuckyHonu around the waist. (I think she still has to alter for length) But Theory is EXPENSIVE!! They were having a sale last week so maybe you could score. Macy''s and Neiman''s, among other dept stores, carries Theory. I''m petite (5''2") and find that even if I shop in the petites section, I STILL have to get things altered! I guess I must have ultra-short legs or something. If you''re in a hurry, try Petites at Banana Republic or a department store....if they have petite capri pants, I bet they''ll fit your tiny frame perfectly.
1.gif

Gracie1

Rough_Rock
Hi Pop Tart, I buy my business clothes from Ann Taylor, they have a large Petite section and carry small sizes. I''m 5'' 1" and the pants fit me well - not too long. Good Luck.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm, I''ve got you all beat. I''m 4'' 9". I have the worst luck with clothes! No matter where I go I always need to have my clothes taken in and up. I''m forever rolling up sleeves a few more times than most people would have to. Petites don''t usually fit me right either. I like Macy''s, Filene''s, and Kohl''s. Kohl''s has capri pants in the spring that fit like regular pants on me.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am 5''1" and get a lot of stuff from the limited. Some of them offer free hems (which I always need!)

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for all your advice! I knew you ladies would know what to do! I am going to try Talbot''s this weekend. There isn''t a Theory near me, but I''ve been perusing the website. I got a couple things at the limited today (thanks Tacori!), and luckily they had a Petite Petite in Macy''s which just fit. I''m still going to look around, so if there is anymore advice goodness knows I can use it. Zoebartlett, you sure do have us beat! Lots of stores just don''t cater to the shorter people... sigh.

*M*

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would find a dept store or store with a petites section, like Ann Taylor, and I would try Nordstrom, if they have one. Also try to find a place that does alterations for free. If they do them for men they are supposed to do them for women!!

jamiesorr

Shiny_Rock
I have the same problem! Here are the places I shop: Nordstorm (and the Rack), Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, sometimes I can find things at Gap (they have petites now), jcrew (each pant fits really different here, I usually get them altered a bit), The Limited, also Dillards in the BCBG section. I am trying to remember others. I will let you know if I think of more.

Most of these stores sell online, too. Bluefly.com sometimes has Theory on sale, you just have to know what style you''re buying.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha this might sound a little funny but i was just leafing through a bunch of spring catalogs and noticed that in victoria''s secret they have a few pairs of dress pants that come in 30" inseam (guess that''s petite right?) and starts in size 0. the styles are cute, bootcut, back pockets, dress kinda slacks. anyway check them out.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m short (5''2) and find that jcpenny petite sizes fit me pretty well and are really cheap! If I want something nicer quality banana republic petite sizes fit me pretty well. No matter what though...I often spend money tailoring. It''s really worth it if you find something you like. Don''t think twice about tailoring.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2007 11:58:01 PM
Author: Mara
haha this might sound a little funny but i was just leafing through a bunch of spring catalogs and noticed that in victoria''s secret they have a few pairs of dress pants that come in 30'' inseam (guess that''s petite right?) and starts in size 0. the styles are cute, bootcut, back pockets, dress kinda slacks. anyway check them out.

Ha ha, try 28"!!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
banana republic carries petites too. i can wear their skirts but not pants. the only pair of dress pants that fit me are at the limited. they also have free heming, great for me cause i''m 5 foot.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 10:19:58 AM
Author: Dee*Jay

Date: 2/7/2007 11:58:01 PM
Author: Mara
haha this might sound a little funny but i was just leafing through a bunch of spring catalogs and noticed that in victoria''s secret they have a few pairs of dress pants that come in 30'' inseam (guess that''s petite right?) and starts in size 0. the styles are cute, bootcut, back pockets, dress kinda slacks. anyway check them out.
Ha ha, try 28''!!!
lol sorry shortie!
25.gif

*ducks*

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
Hi M:

I''m short too....5''0. For pants I will third Theory after Mara and KD and say it is one of my favorite lines. The pants are the best, even if they have to be hemmed. I read somewhere that the drape and the fit of the pants is second to Nicholas Ghesquiere of Balenciaga. I think I have 12 pairs of black Theory pants. With a great fitting pant, you can get away with pairing it with a cute "vintage" tee shirt from Target or a basic shirt from Zara, H&M, Forever 21, Banana or raiding the Juniors section of Macy''s for tops.

For spring / summer, I found several cute skirts from Anthropologie (last season) that did not need any hemming. I plan to wear them baby doll tee shirts and ballet flats.

Have fun shopping!

Roppongi

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, maybe I''m missing it, but is Theory a line or a store? And if it''s a line, where can you buy it?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
theory is a line of clothing, i know they sell them at nordstroms and i think bloomies. but i have gotten almost all my theory at a discount at loehmanns....!! usually at least 50% off but inventory is always really hit or miss and typically sparse.

i think there are theory stores too? aka i think there is one at our upscale outdoor mall santana row locally...so there might be one around you too.

http://www.theory.com/

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotcha -- thanks!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I am of average height, but still have trouble finding clothes that fit my correctly and have become a huge fan of alterations. I think it''s pretty common for women of all heights and sizes to struggle to purchase clothing off the rack. I have several pairs of pants that were too big or too long but fit really well in general and just a $5 alteration here or there makes them look like they were hand made for me. I have learned to shop sales for expensive, classic pieces and then have minor alterations done. I got a great pair of cream colored flannel Ann Taylor slacks on sale for $8, I spent $10 on alterations and they are the perfect winter pant. The only trouble is being dedicated to hit the alterations shop, I have two pairs of jeans that are waiting to be taken!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Pants really are the worst! Today though, it was about 30 degrees out and I had to wear a skirt to class and my internship. I was so cold! So this weekend will definitely be one where I find some pants that I can have tailored. How did you find your tailor? Can I just look it up in the phonebook, or do you just normally have the store tailor it for you?

*M*

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I found a tailor I love that is local to me in the phonebook, she owns an alterations shop. For simple alterations, like hems, you can usually just head to the dry cleaner, but be prepared to tell them what you want as opposed to them telling you (I''ve had this experience with 3 different dry cleaners, I walked in and they asked me what I wanted as opposed to having my try on the clothes and figure it out themselves, quite strange!). I just hated having to do the work for them so I found someone who is a professional and I let her figure out what I need.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
WooHoo!!! A short girl thread!!! I''m a shortie too, at 5''2", though, not as short as my mom at 4''11" and my sister at 4''10". I have a funny story. There is a little shop near me that is named "Twigs". Being a Marketing guru, my DH has a campaign all lined up for them. "If your Juicy size P is too large for you, come to TWIGS!!!!" Hehehe!!

Anyway, we''ve all had good luck at Ann Taylor and even Ann Taylor Loft. Have you tried stores like Forever 21or H & M? I know their stuff is not great quality, but, will get you through a season. And their sizes seem to run small. I''m very narrow through the hips and many of their XS will actually fit me. What about the Brass Plum in Nordie''s? Most of their stuff is for juniors, but, you can probably find some seperates there. Make good friends with your local tailor because you will probably need most everything to be hemmed. It irritates the tar out of me that I have to take sweats to be hemmed!!!!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
You know, I was just thinking about this the other day when I was paying for my clothes. Since I''m short, I require less material... shouldn''t that mean that since there is less material AND labor my clothes should be cheaper
31.gif
? Haha... it''s just so funny to me that my friend (who is almost six feet tall) can buy the same piece of clothing as me and we pay the same price, even though the material and labor required is quite different. Nit picky, I know. Another question... do you know of any stores that sell size five shoes? I''ve been to Dillard''s, Macy''s, several independent shops, etc., and just can''t find shoes that fit. Most that I have now I had to order off the internet, but would feel safer with more expensive business shoes if I could try them on first, you know?

Miranda: I like H&M a lot, too. I looked in there recently and the clothes really needed to be restocked. Their suits this season really aren''t to my liking because there are a lot of browns and muted colors. I like color, and when it''s taken away in clothing it actually leaves me feeling pretty drained. We don''t have a forever 21 out here, unfortunately, because I do like their clothing! Back in my hometown when I needed casual clothes I would always shop at Hollister''s because their XS actually fit me, but no such luck out here. The closest one is three hours away.

Roppongi: Don''t you just love Anthropologie?! I am saving up to buy something from there because every time I go into that store I pick out about a million things that I NEED!! lol. Luckily the closest one is a few hours away as well, and I resist looking up the stuff online.

*M*

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2007 12:07:34 AM
Author: poptart
Another question... do you know of any stores that sell size five shoes? I''ve been to Dillard''s, Macy''s, several independent shops, etc., and just can''t find shoes that fit. Most that I have now I had to order off the internet, but would feel safer with more expensive business shoes if I could try them on first, you know?

*M*

I''m also a size five shoe and what a PITA it is!!! The two places where I can usually find shoes in stock are Nordstroms and Talbots.

Oh, the plight of the short small-footed woman -- I''m right there with you!!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
urgh!! finding a size 5 shoe sucks! i''m on my 3rd year of looking for a pair of black boots and brown boots. i MUST find some during boot season this year!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last year I found some at Talbots during their semi-annual sale. I bought three pairs of black and two pairs of brown, because I figured I would never find them again--especially not at $39 each! I wear them almost every day and they are super comfy.

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
i''ve got you all beat on the shoes - i wear a 4.5! my favorite place for shoes is zappos.com. they''re great because they have free shipping both ways, so you can order a number of things, try them on at home, and send back anything that doesn''t fit. there''s also a shoe catalogue (from a store in NY) called giordano''s that only carries sizes 4-6, but their shoes are expensive. i think they are online as well.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shortblonde, I have ordered shoes from Zappos, but only things that I already owned and needed replacements for (like my work out shoes). There are just too many shoes that don''t fit me, even in the right size. Do you find that you have good luck with this or do you end up sending a lot of things back?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results